Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new rider and have finally been convinced a 600cc isn't for me. I'm in the market for a 250cc but as much as I want to ride I want to be proud of my ride. The look of the Hyosung GT250R is pretty much what I'm looking for but I'm having troubles finding info on it.

The website says it goes for $3700 but I see other sites saying upwards of $6000? Has anyone owned one? Is it a reliable ride? Or am I just wasting my time and should get a Ninja 250 like every other newb out there...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I sat on the 250 and 600... I was impressed for the price.

They both are comfy. I just don't know what kind of quality they have... same boat as you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would question the quality and reliability of the Hyosung bikes as of right now, maybe in a few years they will have convinced me. Also, the dealer network isn't very strong, might be more difficult to take it in to get service work done on it with many shops. With the Ninja 250 you get a known, proven design and a very strong dealer network.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you like the bike and can find it for a price that doesn't hurt you financially, I'd say go for it. IF you have a dealer or some sort of support near you. SOMEONE has to test them out. All I see/read are questions like this and it seems nobody wants to take the chance on them. ALL foreign companies (auto, motorcycle, electronics, etc.) had to start somewhere when they tried to break into the US market.
Another option would be an older 600 like the older 600R, Katana, etc. I'm talking even way back into the '80s and "90s (I learned on an '86 600R and still actually like the classic looks of them). My first personal bike was an '89 600R. I am a little partial towards Kawasaki for some reason.

·
sacrilicious
752 Posts
my friend is adament about this, but take it for what it's worth. Hyosung made the motors in the suzuki SV line of bikes.

there was also a recent write up in motorcyclist about these machines. I'd go with a ninja, man. They said there were several screws that needed to be tightened down and so forth. litttle rattly, and this, btw, was the 650, not the 250.

·
Registered
110 Posts
ParallelPower said:
I would question the quality and reliability of the Hyosung bikes as of right now, maybe in a few years they will have convinced me. Also, the dealer network isn't very strong, might be more difficult to take it in to get service work done on it with many shops. With the Ninja 250 you get a known, proven design and a very strong dealer network.
Good point. Maybe you had ought to buy a model T, also??

·
Registered
45 Posts
BadMojo said:
Good point. Maybe you had ought to buy a model T, also??
That's ok. Michigan winters are too cold to be outside, hand cranking a car

All I'm saying is that even though the Hyosungs use many Suzuki parts, that doesn't mean you get Suzuki quality. And theres been a lot of fit and finish issues from what I've seen and read, and from the sound of things the kaw is a bit cheaper. But who knows, maybe some time in the future we'll all be wowed by the new Hyosung bike that dominates all the other supersport bikes.

It boils down to what you really want yourself, what bike that YOU think fits you better. Myself? I think I would take the Ninja 250 for reasons stated above, but again this comes down to your own personal preference. All we can do is give you our opinions, the final decision is up to you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes, the EX250 is a few hundred bucks cheaper, but as has been stated numerous times, it's technologically very far behind the Hyosung. Further, Hyosung has been building motorcycles for Suzuki for 30 years. If they're good enough for Suzuki to put their name on, they're fine for me.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I mean someone has to give them a chance. at least its only a couple of grand compared to b***** purchases like korean cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am actually looking for a 250CC street bike for my wife and I really dont want to buy the EX250 since it is very,VERY out of date in the looks dept. I started doing research on Hyosung and they have been in business for a fairly long time selling well over 2.5 million units in korea, australia and japan. I also learned that Hyosung does research and development for moto GP, and companies like kawasaki, yamaha, and suzuki. you can find alot of info and local dealer info in the US bu going to http://www.hyosungmotorsusa.com/
I have found three dealers in my local area. I have also spoken with a few of their customers who had nothing but great things to say about the bike, one of them even mentioned that when he and his son go to bike nights his son gets all the attention riding the GT250R because most people have never seen one and most dont believe its only a 250 cause it looks so good. I am going to buy one and I will let you all know what I think. and for anyone bad mouthing these bikes just remember that this was the case back in the 50's and 60's when companies like Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, And suzuki started importing to this country. Everyone was skepticle about them because they were from a new company and it was foreign but look at those companies now! I hope this has been helpful. I will keep you posted on the bike as soon as I pick one up

·
Hard rockin' all the way!
523 Posts
Kneedragger001 said:
I am actually looking for a 250CC street bike for my wife and I really dont want to buy the EX250 since it is very,VERY out of date in the looks dept. I started doing research on Hyosung and they have been in business for a fairly long time selling well over 2.5 million units in korea, australia and japan. I also learned that Hyosung does research and development for moto GP, and companies like kawasaki, yamaha, and suzuki. you can find alot of info and local dealer info in the US bu going to http://www.hyosungmotorsusa.com/
I have found three dealers in my local area. I have also spoken with a few of their customers who had nothing but great things to say about the bike, one of them even mentioned that when he and his son go to bike nights his son gets all the attention riding the GT250R because most people have never seen one and most dont believe its only a 250 cause it looks so good. I am going to buy one and I will let you all know what I think. and for anyone bad mouthing these bikes just remember that this was the case back in the 50's and 60's when companies like Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, And suzuki started importing to this country. Everyone was skepticle about them because they were from a new company and it was foreign but look at those companies now! I hope this has been helpful. I will keep you posted on the bike as soon as I pick one up
Good for you, dude and good luck! A very wise choice, indeed!

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Kneedragger001 said:

I hope to pick one up as well. Ive gotta get a few things sorted though. Not sure if i wanna do the 250 or 650 though. The 250 is tempting since i would only need about 500-1000 down on it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a Hyosung GT250R and I have to say the quality is poor. If I could take it back, and yes I tried, I would pay double for a Suzuki, or even the ugly Kawi. I purchased a GT250R 3 weeks ago for my son. If you are purchasing from a dealer you know and trust maybe it will be a different expieriance than what i had at City Cycles in NY. Missing brake pad, missing screws, loose parts, and a damaged rear tire from lowering links they installed. I also emailed the company and they never responded. I finaly gave up and paid my local Yamaha dealer to service the bike.

I do not trust citycyclesny.com or hyosungmotorsusa.com either.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Tough luck man, do you search these forums often? A few days ago someone asked if a Hyosung was a good choice and 98% of the population said the quality was poor. They look good....but doesn't mean they are.

Good luck in the future.

·
51 times World Champions
3,861 Posts
AnthonyResto said:
I have a Hyosung GT250R and I have to say the quality is poor. If I could take it back, and yes I tried, I would pay double for a Suzuki, or even the ugly Kawi. I purchased a GT250R 3 weeks ago for my son. If you are purchasing from a dealer you know and trust maybe it will be a different expieriance than what i had at City Cycles in NY. Missing brake pad, missing screws, loose parts, and a damaged rear tire from lowering links they installed. I also emailed the company and they never responded. I finaly gave up and paid my local Yamaha dealer to service the bike.

I do not trust citycyclesny.com or Hyosungusa.com either
I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems. It sounds like a lousy job of "dealer prep" to me, as the items you list would all be covered during "prep", not to mention the obvious hatchet job they did with the lowering link installation. I'm not sure what the deal is with your mention of "Hyosungusa.com", I'm unable to find this website.

I think you are right, about working with a another dealer providing a different experience. I've had nothing but positive experiences with my dealer, and am very happy working with him. I'd recommend you check the dealer locator at www.hyosungmotorsusa.com , and see if there's another dealer that can take care of you. Most dealers are glad to convert someone into a satisfied new customer. Unfortunately, we usually only hear about the @sses.....

Let us know how this turns out. If your dealer doesn't deal with problems, whether they are of their own creation or a genuine manufacturer problem, the "lemon law" can protect you. But, you must allow an official dealer the opportunity to deal with it. Taking the bike to someone else doesn't ensure that you have recourse under the law. Go to the following link to see just what the "lemon law" entails, and what your protections are under it..... www.dmv.org/automotive-law/lemon-law.php , and click on your state.

·
51 times World Champions
3,861 Posts
Its Sparks said:
Tough luck man, do you search these forums often? A few days ago someone asked if a Hyosung was a good choice and 98% of the population said the quality was poor. They look good....but doesn't mean they are.

Good luck in the future.
Just a word of advice.....

The only people who can give you an experienced and knowledgeable report on something, are those who ACTUALLY have experience with that thing. If you'll check out the 98% you happened to mention, I think you'll find that their total experience is 0%..... or damn close to it.

This is commonly referred to as "the blind leading the blind", although "misleading" may be a more appropriate word. Asking a die-hard "Harley guy" about sportbikes and their riders, comes immediately to mind as a perfect example.....

'Nuff said.

:cheers

·
Registered
88 Posts
Its Sparks said:

Good luck in the future.
So 98% own a Hyosung? I don't think so.
It sounded like his problem was a crappy dealer. I put no stock in opinions that are given without hands on like a mechanic or ACTUAL owner of one and multiple ones at that. Otherwise it is just people regurgitating some BS info they heard.
There are quite a few owners in this area that have had no problems and love their bikes. Who knows better? Someone that has and does own one or some sh*thouse lawyer?
Anthony: How is the bike now? It really is too bad that you had problems with your dealer, there are some real bad dealers out there. They obviously didn't prep the bike well before sale. Good luck and let us know how it goes after it was fixed!:cheers

·
51 times World Champions
3,861 Posts
fordfreek said:
So 98% own a Hyosung? I don't think so.
It sounded like his problem was a crappy dealer. I put no stock in opinions that are given without hands on like a mechanic or ACTUAL owner of one and multiple ones at that. Otherwise it is just people regurgitating some BS info they heard.
There are quite a few owners in this area that have had no problems and love their bikes. Who knows better? Someone that has and does own one or some sh*thouse lawyer?
Anthony: How is the bike now? It really is too bad that you had problems with your dealer, there are some real bad dealers out there. They obviously didn't prep the bike well before sale. Good luck and let us know how it goes after it was fixed!:cheers
hehehe..... I love an intelligent response!:bowdown

Yeah, I'm still lovin' mine..... I do have to report that I've had a small bolt vibrate loose on my chainguard. Frankly, I've got to admit guilt in overlooking it during my pre-ride inspections. It fell out sometime during a nearly 8hr ride, and the rear of the chainguard was able to flap around a bit. The end result was an approximately 10mm (less than 1/2in) crack in the plastic near the forward mounting point, and you could see on the metal backing-plate at the rear that it had been rubbing on the chain.

When I discovered it on my next ride, I removed the front bolt and the chainguard. My dealer took a look at it and said, "No problem, we'll just put in a claim on it. When the new guard comes in, you can swing by whenever and I'll put it on." A few days later, he called to let me know that my new chain-guard was in. This is an example of the way a good dealer works, and how Hyosung handles these dealers' warranty claims..... The dealer makes ALL the difference. That's why I advise people to shop for their dealer, as much as for their vehicle.....

Now all it's gotta do, is STOP FRIGGIN' SNOWING!!!!:rolleyes

I'll post this info in my thread later.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts