Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's a Hyosung sub here, but it didn't seem that active. So im asking here. Is the Hyosung company any good? Im shopping around for a new bike and I'm a complete beginner. I've narrowed down my choices but now I found the GT650R and the GT250r. A lot cheaper than what ive been looking around for. for 2013 models specifically.
:bangdesk

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Like other Korean manufacturers (e.g. Hyundai and Kia for cars), they are better than they used to be, but not yet up to a high standard. I'd spend the extra money for Japanese, unless I really was tight on money. Even then, I'd buy a used good bike over a new mediocre one.

PhilB

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Like other Korean manufacturers (e.g. Hyundai and Kia for cars), they are better than they used to be, but not yet up to a high standard. I'd spend the extra money for Japanese, unless I really was tight on money. Even then, I'd buy a used good bike over a new mediocre one.

PhilB
The bikes are not there yet but Hyundai has been equal and some cases better quality for a few years now.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Asking about Hyosung around here is almost the same as asking about Shinko tires.

You'll die in a horrific fiery accident, no other way around it, although no one has experience with either one.

What about a Hyosung with Shinko tires! That would make SBN implode.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
My friend here has had one, well two because the first was a complete piece of crap that had so many problems they just gave her a replacement one. She has had to deal with multiple warranty issues because her gt250 had problems finding neutral, the bike would sometimes run off even though the gauge says it is in neutral, engine pistons being loose, just a crap load of problems. I have been trying to tell her to ditch the bike and hop on one of the Big Four especially since she has been riding longer than i have.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Fuck hyosung, Ive seen 125s seize at 60mph and cause nasty wrecks. Pieces of shit from the bolts down to the brakes.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
In the other thread you showed no interest in the 650's and other bikes we suggested. Which HYosung are you interested in?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Asking about Hyosung around here is almost the same as asking about Shinko tires.

You'll die in a horrific fiery accident, no other way around it, although no one has experience with either one.

What about a Hyosung with Shinko tires! That would make SBN implode.
Actually Hyosungs come stock with Shinko tires.

I currently own a GT250r and I love it. Sure it isn't the lightest, fastest, or best performing 250 out there but I have put this bike through hell and it keeps on chugging along. Replacement parts are getting easier and easier to come by, and the new bikes are getting better and better in build quality. I have laid the bike down 2 separate times(once caused by the shitty front stock Shinko letting go through a fast corner and the 2nd caused by a nail I collected in my rear tire during a ride) and both times have had to replace several parts on the bike and both times the parts were easy enough to find and were at my door in very short time from sites that are in the US.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Yes, that's my point. They are not pretty, the lightest, nor the latest and greatest and fit and finish sucks. But they are solid bikes.

I know several people with Hyosungs, as they were sold for a couple years in Mexico, and no one has had the horror stories that everybody around here tells about the guy that a friend of a friend used to know. I can bet 90% of the horror stories were made up, and a good part oif the remaining ones are grossly exagerated.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
The only horror story I told was one of horrible resale value, which is true. You can barely give those things away used, which makes them a terrible choice for a first bike compared to a Ninja 250.

Think about it, you usually dont keep your first bike all that long, which means resale IS an important factor. Are you better off buying a cheap bike that you'll get absolutely nothing for when you go to sell, or a used bike for a couple bucks more that you can resell for within a couple hundred bucks of what you purchased it for a couple years from now?

I will never understand someone needing to buy a brand spanking new bike to start out on anyways. It's just like making plans to throw lots of money away.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You get what you pay for, that's all I'm going to say. I'd rather spend a little more and get something I know won't kill me (unless I make a mistake) than gamble a few dollars on something that might be fine, or it might also rattle apart or seize up and cause an accident.

While you're at it, I'm sure there are some helmets you can get for $25 shipped, brand new that are off-brand stuff... They're probably fine too, right?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I suspect a lot of Hyosungs are purchased by inexperienced riders who don't have two clues about maintenance and don't even know that the oil is supposed to be changed. Too many young guys these days are video game experts who don't know which way to turn a wrench or connect with the real world. A properly maintained Hyosung that has a few bugs ironed out will last just fine IMO. The Koreans are now building high quality electronics and cars, and their motorcycles will soon catch up.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I suspect a lot of Hyosungs are purchased by inexperienced riders who don't have two clues about maintenance and don't even know that the oil is supposed to be changed. Too many young guys these days are video game experts who don't know which way to turn a wrench or connect with the real world. A properly maintained Hyosung that has a few bugs ironed out will last just fine IMO. The Koreans are now building high quality electronics and cars, and their motorcycles will soon catch up.
I dont know about that generalization but koreans make some of the best weapon and vehicles for the us military also.

Ive e ead nightmare stories about r6s and other jap bikes. If hyusongs had their own foeum or even their own subforum wed have a better idea. It seems to me the only time they are priced right foe me is when they are a few years old and still new.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts