Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke to a guy about adding high velocity ac to our home, and he proposed getting rid of all the forced hot air ductwork and using the high velocity system to heat as well. Any thoughts? He'd run hot h20 from a new boiler to the attic where the ac air handler was for heat.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
HVAC is good in a new construction because the ducts can be more properly designed its good for large spaces moreso than small. I didnt know they had units for homes... then again it was a good 10 years ago that I was involved with a HVAC system.

It aint cheap but it also replaces 2 systems.... I worked on a system in a Highrise here for several years and it seemed something was always messing up on the system. It was real sensitive to any air in the chill lines (we only had chillers LOL) plus the cooling tower needed cleaning 2x a year which was a bitch.
We had a chiller develope a refrigerant leak internally and had to replace a massive cast iron water chiller. It weighed almost 3000lbs and was in a inaccesable part of the basement....took 8 comealongs and about 100 expansion bolts in the cieling with eye rings to slowly move it hanging from the cieling out the trash room door! What a bitch... That system had a 160HP electric motor driving a v-8 freon compressor!

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
its really a pretty new idea. I am in school for HVAC/R and we really haven't even ever talked about that type of system. I would get a couple of estimates. It sounds kinda like this company is just fishing for some business. Unless what you have now is inefficient or not working correctly, I would not be quick to change it.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He has a good reputation and he's a client of mine that owes us alot of dough, so I'm looking to have us work it out this way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts