18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is just sick...

Here's the full link

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20040901022709990002

Hundreds of Hostages Taken at Russian School
Eight Killed After Gunmen Seize Building; Chechen Rebels Blamed
By MUSA SADULAYEV, AP

BELSAN, Russia (Sept. 1) -- More than a dozen militants wearing suicide-bomb belts seized a southern Russian school in a region bordering Chechnya on Wednesday, taking hostage about 400 people - half of them children - and threatening to blow up the building if police storm it. As many as eight people have been reported killed, one of them a school parent.

Hours into the desperate standoff, security officials said they had made brief contact with the hostage-takers. Russian special forces wearing camouflage and carrying heavy-caliber machine guns surrounded Middle School No. 1. About 1,000 people, mostly parents, were massed the three-story building in the town of Belsen, demanding information and accusing the government of failing to protect their children.

Kazbek Dzantiyev, head of the North Ossetia region's Interior Ministry, said that the hostages have threatened ''for every destroyed fighter, they will kill 50 children and for every injured fighter - 20 (children),'' the ITAR-Tass news agency reported.

At one point, a girl wearing a floral print dress and a red bow in her hair fled the school, her hand held by a flak-jacketed soldier. An older woman followed them. Ruslan Ayamov, spokesman for North Ossetia's Interior Ministry told The Associated Press that 12 children and one adult managed to escape after hiding in the building's boiler room.

The attack was the latest blamed on secessionist Chechen rebels, coming a day after a suicide bomber killed nine people in Moscow and a week after near-simultaneous explosions blamed on terrorists caused two Russian planes to crash, killing all 90 people on board. The surge in violence was apparently timed around last Sunday's Chechen presidential election.

''In essence, war has been declared on us, where the enemy is unseen and there is no front,'' Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov said.

President Vladimir Putin interrupted his working holiday Wednesday in the Black Sea resort of Sochi for a second time and returned to the capital. On arrival at the airport, he held an immediate meeting with the heads of Russia's Interior Ministry and Federal Security Service, the Interfax news agency said.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
pretty chicken-shit thing for those cowards to do, they need to all be shot.........

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RACER X said:
pretty chicken-shit thing for those cowards to do, they need to all be shot.........
That's probably what's going to happen...Snipers or a bum rush...

And if anyone survives, they won't sit on death row for 30 years, like over here...It's straight to the grave...

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
L8 Braker said:
The surge in violence was apparently timed around last Sunday's Chechen presidential election.

Just like in Spain where terrorists were able to change the outcome of an election. Look for a similar trend this election where terrorists around the world would prefer to have Kerry (easy on terror) over Bush (not easy on terror).

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Those chicken shit fucks should be forced to eat each other alive. That's the best I can come up with at this time.

I REALLY, REALLY hope all those kids make it out of there.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
The russians aren't any better at having a shot to keep those kids alive. Remember they managed to keep the terrorists from setting off explosives in that theater, but their gas attack killed a bunch of people on it's own. It was a disaster and the typical russian response of: I know nothing, comrade.
Doctors didn't even know what they were treating patients for.

The Chechens are hurting their own cause. But they are competing against other terrorist groups for air time. Children are headlines everytime you threaten them. The PIRA had the same problem. No one took them very seriously outside of the UK until they made headlines bombing schools. Then it became international and they eventually got their word out (having to at first take the heat for the attacks).

The Chechens are desparate for attention to their cause. Outside of russia, they are like the forgotten terrorists. They are the group I most fear will detonate a dirty bomb first.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
I'm just taken back by the fact they would take innocent kids hostage. The parents are sitting outside now probably frantic to no end. I'd be going hysterical out there.

Hope the all make out alive.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
TheSollyLama said:
The russians aren't any better at having a shot to keep those kids alive. Remember they managed to keep the terrorists from setting off explosives in that theater, but their gas attack killed a bunch of people on it's own. It was a disaster and the typical russian response of: I know nothing, comrade.
Doctors didn't even know what they were treating patients for.

The Chechens are hurting their own cause. But they are competing against other terrorist groups for air time. Children are headlines everytime you threaten them. The PIRA had the same problem. No one took them very seriously outside of the UK until they made headlines bombing schools. Then it became international and they eventually got their word out (having to at first take the heat for the attacks).

The Chechens are desparate for attention to their cause. Outside of russia, they are like the forgotten terrorists. They are the group I most fear will detonate a dirty bomb first.
Dirty bombs don't do shit. Everyone is so worried about them, but they aren't nearly as dangerous as the media wants you to think. The media wants you to think that dirty bomb=nuclear device, which is FAR from the truth.

Either way, these idiots over in Russia are getting on my nerves. Terrorism is so cowardly.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That is just plain sad. How cowardly :angry I hope those innocent children and whoever else may be in there make it out alive. It is so ashame that there is such SICK twisted barbarians out there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I hope people realize the extent that radical Muslims will go to. How can you reason with someone who will take children hostage & threaten to kill them. I pray the Children make it out safe & the rebels get what's coming to them!!!!

·
20,262 Posts
Gimpdiggity said:
Dirty bombs don't do shit. Everyone is so worried about them, but they aren't nearly as dangerous as the media wants you to think. The media wants you to think that dirty bomb=nuclear device, which is FAR from the truth..
I'm curious...what is the truth then about dirty bombs?

·
Take care now ......
1,615 Posts
I was just in Moscow and St Petersburg Russia last tuesday. I just got back from my vacation. I flew out of Moscow that tuesday right before those two airliners exploded. It was a bit unnerving for sure. I've never seen sooooo many people and a way of life that was different then ours. While the country has beautiful sites and a long history. I wouldn't want to live in the outskirts of the main cities of Moscow and St. Petersburg. Wouldn't get near Chechnya.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Rascus said:
I'm curious...what is the truth then about dirty bombs?
Dirty bombs are mostly an economic weapon. The actual blast isn't going to kill any more people than a conventional bomb would, and the radiation might kill a few more people in the very beginning. But the real havoc is in the creation of a radioactive hot zone that can cover several square miles depending on the size of the bomb, the type and amount of radioactive material, wind patterns, etc. You can't let anyone into the zone until it's been cleaned up, and cleanup would be a massive undertaking that could require months. Now, if you detonated said device in, oh... say... Wall Street, a major harbor, DC, or some other important place, the economic and psychological impact would be far greater than anything you could acomplish with a conventional bomb. And building a dirty bomb is much easier than trying to build a true atomic device, which isn't as easy as Hollywood and the news media would have you believe.

·
20,262 Posts
Nostradumbass said:
Dirty bombs are mostly an economic weapon. The actual blast isn't going to kill any more people than a conventional bomb would, and the radiation might kill a few more people in the very beginning. But the real havoc is in the creation of a radioactive hot zone that can cover several square miles depending on the size of the bomb, the type and amount of radioactive material, wind patterns, etc. You can't let anyone into the zone until it's been cleaned up, and cleanup would be a massive undertaking that could require months. Now, if you detonated said device in, oh... say... Wall Street, a major harbor, DC, or some other important place, the economic and psychological impact would be far greater than anything you could acomplish with a conventional bomb. And building a dirty bomb is much easier than trying to build a true atomic device, which isn't as easy as Hollywood and the news media would have you believe.
I know what a dirty bomb is. I was trying to get where Gimp was talking about how the media has "hyped" them up and how not dangerous they are. Also how they "don't do shit". I think if one of these goes off and you can not go back into the area for a few years that would be dangerous in my books at least. It doesn't have to be a nuclear device to do damage but it has all the other components except for the actual explosion.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
What he said about the actual destructive power of a dirty bomb is correct. However, consider that if detonated in say, lower Manhatten, it would pretty well cripple the US economy for awhile, makes tens of thousands homeless, among other things- it's threat is not over stated. Every ventilation system in all those old NY buildings would need cleaned out. That alone could cost tens of millions and take months.
The threat is from disruption more than destruction. However, we saw what a few days without Wall St. can do to the US economy. Imagine a few months.
And it's also easy to say- 'a few people would get hurt or die'. Easy to say WHEN IT"S NOT YOU OR YOUR FAMILY. People make it sound like 'acceptable losses' when it happens to someone else.

·
Cheshire Cat
1,028 Posts
September 1 is the traditional first day of school in Russia. This entails a ceremony with the children and their parents standing in a ring in the courtyard around the school's main entrace, a speech by members of the administration, and several other functions. Every child, from the lowest to the highest grades in the school attends this ceremony. In the school that I went to in Moscow, this meant from 1st to 11th grade (there are 11 grades in Russia). I have no reason to believe this school to be any different.

The Chechen rebels have been a problem in Russia for a very long time. What you haven't heard about is that the subway bombings are nothing new, they've been going on for years, in Moscow, no less. There is also no end to the deaths of Russian soldiers in Chechnya. Russia has mandatory service for everyone the age of 18 for 2 (infantry, chem defense and such) to 5 (navy) years. This is for anyone not entering a University, and even those people have to attend military training classes, including range time, and become higher-up than privates, but not by much, and can still be called to serve. This means that young infantrymen are basically sent to die in Chechnya like they were in Afghanistan, with a gun and minimal training.

Decide for yourseelf what the Chechen rebels are doing, and who they are doing it against.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Rascus said:
I know what a dirty bomb is. I was trying to get where Gimp was talking about how the media has "hyped" them up and how not dangerous they are. Also how they "don't do shit". I think if one of these goes off and you can not go back into the area for a few years that would be dangerous in my books at least. It doesn't have to be a nuclear device to do damage but it has all the other components except for the actual explosion.

I think that Nostradumbass explained it well enough, why you still don't understand is beyond me.

A dirty bomb is not an atomic weapon. It doesn't cause the absolute mass destruction that the media wants you to think it will. The media quite obviously portrays a dirty bomb AS A NUCLEAR DEVICE. A dirty bomb isn't going to kill a million people. It's gonna take a million hours to clean up, and a million dollars to do it (million is just used as an example, I know it will cost more.), but it's not gonna kill a million people. An atomic bomb WILL kill a million people.

And nobody said you wouldn't be able to go back into the area for a few years. It would get cleaned up, and cleaned up rather quickly, as compared to how long it would take to clean up a nuclear bombs destruction. We're not talking Hiroshima and Nagasaki man, or even Chernobyl for that matter.

Also, this part of your statement is just ignorant. "It doesn't have to be a nuclear device to do damage but it has all the other components except for the actual explosion." Of course it doesn't have to have to be nuclear to cause damage. But if I go and build a pipe bomb, and put some radioactive material into it, it's still not gonna level an entire city.

So I will say it again, a dirty bomb doesn't do shit. I guess I should've added this, so as not to confuse people. A dirty bomb doesn't do shit, compared to a nuclear bomb.

Will a dirty bomb disrupt things in America for a long time?? Probabaly. Will it disrupt things in American as long as a nuclear bomb would?? Probably not.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Jason said:
I was just in Moscow and St Petersburg Russia last tuesday. I just got back from my vacation. I flew out of Moscow that tuesday right before those two airliners exploded. It was a bit unnerving for sure. I've never seen sooooo many people and a way of life that was different then ours. While the country has beautiful sites and a long history. I wouldn't want to live in the outskirts of the main cities of Moscow and St. Petersburg. Wouldn't get near Chechnya.

We need some pics.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts