Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay my car scares me it is so slow sometimes. All i have now is a high flow airfilter and modified air box. Im trying to decide which option will give me the best hp and torque. My first option would be to buy a jet v-force control module. This is kind of expensive, but i can at least take it out and sell it when i get rid of the car. option 2 would be a high flow header. this is like $135, easy to install. Option 3 would be a new rear exhaust section. this is about $135, i dont like big exhaust tips though, so im not crazy about that. Whats your opinions.

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
what kind of car do you have? in my opinion, it is best to go with exhaust... can't have the power without the flow. and it is always nice to have a good rumble.

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
how much $$ you lookin to spend? if you really want a faster car for not alota money, id sell that car and get a fox body stang and make it fast. cheap and a huge aftermarket.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Ditto. I wouldn't exactly consider a Corolla worth modifying unless you have some special attachment to the car. But start from ground up. Intake, exhaust, ignition, then onto the other stuff. But don't go getting a computer setup, and then decide you want a turbo. Cause most likely, that performance chip will make you detonate on boost.

I can vouch for the fox-body Mustang thing. After-market out the wazoo....only thing I think is more marketed is the SBC.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not really lookin to mod it, i just want to not die every time i get on the highway. I go to school in worcester which gets probably the most snow in Ma, so anything rear wheel drive wouldnt be an option. Plus i have no money to get a enw car, oh well........

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
hrmm well with a corolla, i would go with a chip... that will probably be your best bet without wasting lots of money to make that thing fast.

·
Registered
24 Posts
1.6 liters is not a lot of motor. A Corolla is not a highway car. Personally, I hate Volkswagen, but they make the only decent small-motor highway car, IMHO.

Get a 3.8 GM. Either a Lesabre, Grand Prix, or Regal. Decent fuel mileage, reasonable build quality, about the same cost as your current vehicle.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
+1 sounds like it's time for a motor swap...2JZ RWD Corolla anyone? :lol

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Motor swap? Into a 97 Corolla? Not worth it, IMO. If you're looking for some power...do the basic, cheap stuff...but stop after that, and when you're ready and have the cash, get a second car. Honestly, you just don't have a good platform for building anything quick out of it. Keep the Corolla as your beater/gas saver, and get something a little wilder as a weekend warrior. FYI, Fox body Mustangs go for dirt cheap and haul some ass. Not that I'm biased or anything. :lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
derK said:
swap in the 4agze motor. 160 Hp of supercharged fun :)
I second that. And with a 200 dollar pulley 200 HP is right there. The 4a thats in your corolla sucks ass in NA form. Cams would be the only option that would give any decent gain in power. It will also cost a pretty penny to do the swap if you have no mech skills.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Sell the Corolla and get a 90-94 Mitsubishi Eclipse/Eagle Talon TSI AWD. I think it's a better option than your typical domestic V6/V8, but then again I like being different. I loved my 1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, I had under $1000 into it and had it running 13.7's with soft launches on a stock clutch. It was such a fun car and such a sleeper, I'd like to have another one.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
DSM's really are great cars. The only thing I don't like about them is the head problems Mitsubishis have. I've heard too many stories about guys overheating them/blowing head gasket and warping the head.... Knew a guy I worked with, Tim, that warped his head so bad the car wouldn't even run....didn't build compression in at LEAST 2 cylinders.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You want a hwy car? get a 2wd 90-92 dsm turbo.
The 6bolt(no crankwalk)
notranny issues(fwd)
sick top speed gearing
with a few smal mods(I'm talking small$) You'll walk most things under 15g's and 5 liters. This includes smaller(less than 600ccSS) bikes too.
ZMods
-maf muffler
-2.5-3"downpipe and exhaust
-port the exhaust manifold(it's nasty)and the turbo inlet...hog them both out. Needs carbides and oil
-homedepot balland spring controller and a cheapboost gauge.
- rewire fuelpump(wire and a relay)for more current
-K&N filter.Also hack the air canister
-get the bastard to run at 15psi. This is really safe. After this things may go wrong...here you're still good with A/F etc...
- I like to remove both balance shafts. The engine is only slightly buzzier at about 4200rpm. The engines are very well balanced from the factory and the 'balance shafts'are just heavy dampeners. The mod is actually protection from balance shaft belt probs(the roots of 90% of the "head issues" people talk about). The car sgets too much power and strips the balanceshaft belts.

Disclaimer
Tek is not responsible for any of the following.
Speeding tickets,embarrassed C4,NonM series BMW,N/APorsche,Honda Civic, Integra Type R,or 1970s Duster owners who want to fight you for raping them on a hwy roll-on.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Bah, FWD DSM's are no fun except on the highway. Even with drag radials on the front you still spin your ass off. Nothing better than a 5500rpm launch with AWD, you'll take basically anything off the line, then it's just up to you and how much money you put into it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ture...he said he was wanting Hwy power though. Short of a Supra...this is quite a beast. For the money of course.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
100% agree with you. Besides a Supra, I think my ultimate highway car would be a S14 240sx with a RB25 motor swap and a few mods *DROOOOOOL* :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts