Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday i took out my brothers brand new Mustang. he had it only 4 months and just got started modding. i took it out to school for a meeting. on my way home it started raining. i know the car has no handle on wet roads and was taking it easy. i was almost home and came to a stop when i decided to give it a little go. in my head i know the car never spins in 3rd so i put it to the floor and found a cold spot in the road and broke lose. i did what i could to control the slide but at speeds of 60 mph the slides turn into whiplash where they snap back and forth after the get tracion. i almost had it under control but unfortunetly i found my self wedged in a tree with both airbags blown. the 02 mustang is totaled. im going to be paying for the deductable and other required funds. but the part that scares me is my record now.

good news. im walked away without a single scratch.
my brother is not as upset as i thought he would be.
and hes going to get a new car.

bad news is. i had 2 points on my license previous to this for a small speeding ticket.
i got a U.B.S.L. ticket for the accident and will add more points to my record.
my insurance is going up. i dont know how much yet but im sure it will be enough.
and i have lots of debt to my brother and his car.

question is how many of you have been in my sittuation. after the crash i have heard lots of stories. am i still going to be able to afford and insure a bike? i have never looked into the full cost of ownership since i was getting ready to buy one this summer. my full time job makes me about 500 a week. does this look like a complete loss or could i still be able to get my bike?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well it depends on how much you owe, your chances look pretty bad considering motorcycles cost a lot of $$$ to buy/insure/maintain on top of the price for full gear.

Honestly you probably shouldn't get anywhere near a bike until you mature. What you did was pure moronic and if you pull stuff like that on a bike you might not live to tell about it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Honestly you probably shouldn't get anywhere near a bike until you mature. What you did was pure moronic and if you pull stuff like that on a bike you might not live to tell about it.
I don't mean to be harsh or insulting, but I agree with the above statement. A bike is a lot more dangerous to speed on.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
:popcorn

·
Shut the **** up and ride
5,031 Posts
Hahaha holy shit, what a story. This is a prime example of why some people dont belong on a sportbike, nonetheless a sports car.

Concentrate on paying off the $15-20k you will now owe your bro. By the time you pay that off, youll be looking into Harleys rather than sportbikes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wait a bit before you get the bike. It will cost you a lot and you'll have time to think over your mistake. None of us here are angels when it comes to driving. I've just learned to ride and I have to tell myself sometimes when the traffic is light not to get tempted, do something stupid and find myself in over my head.

Life previously stated if you try something like that on a bike you might not live to tell about it.

·
Banned
911 Posts
You're an idiot and I'd be plenty glad to hear that you never take seat on a motorcycle of your own.

I wouldn't be so hard on you if it had been your own car. Your lack of respect towards your own safety and the property of someone else is that of a teenager... (oh, wait).

Grow the fuck up and rethink the shit you do.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Your Brother must really like you alot, your still typing:bowdown

You can pay cash for a used bike and get liability only, even for inexperienced driver with bad record that shouldnt be too expensive.

If you planning to buy a new bike, and get one of those manufacture type loans that do not require full coverage. When you total it 30 days later the bank will still want their money. Just FYI

·
Registered
569 Posts
Don't do it. If you wrecked the Mustang you will probably wreck a bike. Plus, I doubt that with that record that any insurance will give you a cheap deal. You will probably lbe paying $1,000+ per year because you really don't sound like the type to start with a 250 bike.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
make sure your life insurance is paid and tell your mother you love her. If you ride like you drive it won't be long before your beneficiary cashes in your life insurance policy.

·
Registered
645 Posts
i knew from the first line, this was gunna be funny:lao

you may think that some of these posts are harsh or mean, but seriously you have to way way grow up before you should get a bike.... but if ya do get a gixxxxeeerrr, yea a 1000, they have that abc switch, its for newbs with more balls than brains:banana

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
honestly you should be no where near a motorcycle or a sports car.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
I don't mean to be harsh or insulting, but I agree with the above statement. A bike is a lot more dangerous to speed on.
I agree.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
My last five primary cars have all had V8s and RWD (245, 335, 350, 375, and 390 lb.ft. respectively) and I've not once had a problem on wet roads, and all but one of them were using summer tires.

Hell, I drove my Corvette 30 miles on I-95 while it was completely covered in snow and didn't come close to spinning out.

You really, really need to work on your driving. That pedal on the right? Use less of it--much less.

·
The American Stig!
317 Posts
I think some of you guys have forgotten what it was like to be 16 or 17, and a motorhead.

Was what he did stupid? Beyond a doubt. Does that mean he shouldn't learn to ride? Absolutely not.

I never totalled someone elses car, but I totalled enough of my own. When I was 16 I was all about the adrenaline rush. I rode like an asshat, I drove like an asshat, and I bet half of the people on here criticizing did as well.

OP, learn from your mistake. I would take the advise of holding off on a bike for a while. take care of your debt, and let the points fall off. However, that doesn't mean you can't take the MSF course and maybe do a couple track schools where they provide the bike. I learned one very valuable lesson from my teenage years of trashing nice cars, and that was that there is a time and place for everything.

One more thing, if you are going to drive like that, either go to a track or find an empty parking lot. I taught my little brother all about car control in the empty shopping center parking lot late in the evenings. Also, do it with an old beater. Pick up a late '80s Camaro or firebird with a V8, and just beat the tar out of it. It isn't overly powerful, can be purchased for about $1000, and is they are cheap to fix.

Doing things like this will make you a better driver overall, and as such, a better rider.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
op your a poo face!

·
You're a Daisy if ya do
8,534 Posts
Hell, I remeber being that age. Was I stupid?? More than likely. Did I total someone elses car or even my own in the rain?? No, I had enough sense not to push my luck on wet roads.
Ok, I get your drift, but like I said, Sportbikes aren't for everyone.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts