Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Palm City Nice Guy
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a friend with a new scooter and she asked me how to pick her bike up. There was an article here explaining a method for gal's to use but I lost it. Does anyone remember that one?. :rolleyes

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Turn the handlebars to the direction that is faceing up,grab the bars and squat ,let the tank rest on top of your butt and use the legs to lift.

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
You can always grab onto the frame too. The handle bars are too unstable for me to lift so I have to press my back into the tank (as AC said), hold onto the frame and lift with my legs from a squated position.
Although I have learned that even if it is a slight incline (meaning I have to push the bike up hill), I can't lift the bike and need help....

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the way guys should be doing it too, unless they're not concerned about blowing out a hernia?

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Fuzz Bomb said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the way guys should be doing it too, unless they're not concerned about blowing out a hernia?
Same thing I was thinking. When I fell off my bike I picked it up by myself no problem. The guy i was riding with came over and helped me anyway I guess out of habit by taking it from me when it was already upright and putting the kickstand down. But I picked it up before that too when it tipped over from a standing position with no one around...just leaned it on myself after it was upright until i could turn and get one leg over it. :D

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
it's not something that anyone of us would like to do, but in reality, it will happen at least once. I on the other hand have had to pick my bikes up more times then I like to admit. It's all on how you feel comfortable on doing it. There are many different ways, frame, handle bars, tank...... I prefer the "guy" method, ha! but if one isn't around, I put one hand on the clip-ons the other on the frame just under the tank, pressing my shoulder into the tank and lifting with my knees. You'll find your own way of doing it. My Dad put my first bike (89 Hurricane) in the grass and told me I couldn't ride it till I learned how to pick it up.... Smart man.

·
Palm City Nice Guy
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CBR600Lady said:
Hey kf, I was just thinking about you the other day, wondering how you were doing. Check-in with me ever once in a while, let me know how ya are. :)

Here is a site with pics that may help on picking up a dropped bike.
http://www.pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html

Hope it helps.
Thanks yall for your help, Got It. i'm fine Princess, just workin too much, :rolleyes

·
Registered
39 Posts
japbike said:
My Dad put my first bike (89 Hurricane) in the grass and told me I couldn't ride it till I learned how to pick it up.... Smart man.

That's an excellent teaching method, IMO... :cheers To your Father....I always suggest that to anyone...Male or Female..

Lay your bike down in the grass and see if you can pick it up....or at least- lay it down to figure out which way you can pick it up...

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
alaska cajun said:
Turn the handlebars to the direction that is faceing up,grab the bars and squat ,let the tank rest on top of your butt and use the legs to lift.

That can't be right. If you turn the wheel in the direction that the bike is facing up, it may roll right out from under you.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Bomb300 said:
That can't be right. If you turn the wheel in the direction that the bike is facing up, it may roll right out from under you.

That's what the front brake is for.

Looks like I forgot to mention that part.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
or you could do like I did, drop it, get pissed, pick it up (the was AC said) and tip it over on the other side so you get LOTS of practice picking it up :mad:

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Sorry Brandy

But I had to chuckle at your misfortune.It reminded me of where I used to live and I chained my bikes to the electric service.I hopped on the VTX one day and took off but I didn't undo the chain and that dude weighs 750lbs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just get a guy to do it.... I was at a gas station and this chick in a 250 ninja droped her bike.... after i rofled at her and then rofled some more i picked it up for her.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Na, they like it. Just don't play dumb while you're at it.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
silent_R1 said:
or you could do like I did, drop it, get pissed, pick it up (the was AC said) and tip it over on the other side so you get LOTS of practice picking it up :mad:
Had that happen already :lao

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
FiNeNaMja said:
Just get a guy to do it.... I was at a gas station and this chick in a 250 ninja droped her bike.... after i rofled at her and then rofled some more i picked it up for her.
Why'd you laugh @ her?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Chinygyal said:
Why'd you laugh @ her?
Yeah, why did you laugh at her?

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
I have used a kind of "squat-like" move including turning the handlebars and using the front brake, but I will have to try the back move next time (which I am sure there will be :)

The squat works with my Harley (approx 550lbs), so I assume it will work with my Ninja, too :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts