Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, newbie here. New SBNer, new bike, new rider. Took the MSF a couple of weeks ago with minimal experience before that. I just bought a blue '02 YZF-600R (give me your flames, I eat your flames!) yesterday, and it's... fun. I've put about 90 miles on it in these first two days. The D&D exhaust is seriously loud; I don't know why the previous owner paid money to lose hearing. At least he gave me the stock pipe, which I'll probably try to put back on tomorrow. It has a K&N jet kit, but I actually have very little idea what that is or what it does, only that it's some kind of minor performance enhancement.

My gear is an HJC CL-14, Alpinestar SP-1's, and a JR Phoenix mesh jacket. The Phoenix purchase was an exercise in compromise, and I'm not completely happy with it for many reasons. Probably end up getting real leather later on, as well as proper riding boots to replace the cheap hiking boots I'm using now. But the pants... I'd like something like Draggin' jeans, but less dubious and expensive. Regular jeans for now.

If anyone around the College Station, TX area wants to ride or has tips on places to ride, let me know.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
after you get some miles under your belt, do a trackday. it'll open your eyes to what your bike is capable off. and how little you really know.

TWS is so close to you

www.lonestartrackdays.com

www.ridesmart.info

·
Registered
5,025 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, TWS is about 5 minutes from my apartment. So ironic, isn't it, that I get into motorcycling mere months before I move away? Oh well, maybe I'll be able to do one before then. Is it possible to give a ballpark amount of experience you would recommend before someone attempt a trackday? Another question, what do you have to do to prepare the bike? The website talks about things like taping over the lights and mirrors, and just having the bike in good working condition. For some reason I thought you had to wire bolts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
wise choice, bluesnowmonkey. my first bike (and current bike) is my beloved '03 YZF600R (liquid silver). if you're not already a member, come join the forums at

www.yzf600r.com

There are some brainy folks over there (engineer types) that can answer any question you may have about the thundercat. but be warned, there are some serious post whores over there which is kind of annoying after a while - but hands down, that site is the best resource for how-to's on our bike.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
bluesnowmonkey said:
Racer, you know David at Awesome Cycles? He taught my MSF.
yup, i'll be teaching there as well. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts