Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined the forum based on a recommendation from another forum - I think it was HER6 (she is Mrs. Colleen on that forum).

I am a 55 year old retiree (retired in June); my wife of 30 years is a FedEx pilot in her last few years of flying before her retirement (I figured out last summer tha she has been flying jets over 30 years now). She also rides - when we bought a GSXR750 she pretty much made it her bike. I am chief of the Waring, TX, fire department - my retirement gig.

My first sportbike was a new 1987 CBR600 Hurricane. Currently we have 5 bikes - I added a Ninja 1000 this summer for long trips.

My pride and joy is the RC30 we bought new in 1991 - still on the road, 21 years later.

·
Registered
936 Posts

Love that area of Texas although it's a decent ride just to get out there and back.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Love that area of Texas although it's a decent ride just to get out there and back.
You mean the Big Bend? Yeah - Ft Davis is about 5 hours from here, and that's a Banzai run on I-10. Fun on the bike if you go the back way down by Juno. Even most of US 90 is posted at 75 now, so if you ramp it up a bit it can be fun. Seems like at some point you are always in a 25 knot crosswind, though.

·
Registered
936 Posts
You mean the Big Bend? Yeah - Ft Davis is about 5 hours from here, and that's a Banzai run on I-10. Fun on the bike if you go the back way down by Juno. Even most of US 90 is posted at 75 now, so if you ramp it up a bit it can be fun. Seems like at some point you are always in a 25 knot crosswind, though.
I was referring to the Kerrville/Bandera 16, out around Hunt and the three sisters. I have yet to get to Big Bend in a car or on motorcycle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was referring to the Kerrville/Bandera 16, out around Hunt and the three sisters. I have yet to get to Big Bend in a car or on motorcycle.
Yeah, there is no fast way from the Austin area. Some great roads between here and there, but I imagine doing the three sisters and then back to Austin is quite a haul.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Any ride out that way is 6-10 hours round trip so yes, a little long. Add to that I am 35 miles East of Austin and it's a little farther. Well worth an all-day ride into the Texas Hill Country for sure. Heck back in '97 when my niece was visiting from Spain, we made the Kerrville/Bandera run on a 1990 ZX-7 up to 4 times a week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts