Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if this is in the right section but... how would you put a bike in the back of a pickup truck? i have a sport trac xlt and was wondering if a ninja 500 would fit (82 in. overall) really want to go and pick my bike up which is a 4 hr drive back and forth because im amped to just on the back of that bike... anyway what other things i would need to know if i wanted to strap the bike in the back of truck and to get it on thanks

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Easy enough. Get some Canyon Dancers, a front wheel chock (or make one yourself), drop the tailgate, get a ramp, and ride it right up, or if you feel nervous doing that get 2 friends to help you push it up. I've seen 600's in the back of SporTracs before, you should be fine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what could i use for a homemade ramp. how thick should a peice of wood should be or anything because i dont want to shell out more money for this bike that was intended to be delivered to me

·
Registered
202 Posts
bring 3 guys and u can have one hold the back from rolling out, then have 2 guys lift the front wheel onto the truck tailgate, then have 1 guy hold the front and 2 guys lift the ass end up and roll it onto the tail gate. Then compress the front forks and tie some straps to hold it down and stop it from falling down on one side, then another strap on the other side. Ninja 500 weighs 380 dry (i have one and i know that) so if u get some big guys its possible.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you think a ladder would hold the weight of a bike :) in order to roll it up into the truck bed?

·
Registered
646 Posts
just buy an 8x10 from your local hardware store for 15 dollars. thats 8 inches wide and 10 feet long. Ok, then move over about 4 aisles and buy yourself some straps. 2 will work...4 to be safe. If you dont buy canyon dancers, then just use the straps and attach them to the forks. compress the forks and then strap it down. the strap the back down and you are done. the bike will definately fit. its just mite be that you have the tailgate down the entire time. goodluck man.

·
Registered
503 Posts
A ladder will collapse. If you don't want to shell out the money for a ramp, just have a few buddies lift it up.

I also agree, buy a canyon dancer, they have them at most dealerships. You'll also need 2 to 4 straps, depending how secure you want it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
jsut came back from home depot and got a pack of four racheting (sp) nylon straps for 14 dollars (thouhgt it was pritty good) so how would i go on to compress the forks? i saw in like a picture on the box that they just threw 2 of the straps over the handlebars and then 2 on each side of the passenger's foot pegs. i know the footpegs are good idea but what is the best way to compress the forks with the nylon straps that i have?
btw i was thinking about going to home depot tomorrow and to pick up a peice of tumber for like 6- 10 dollars what demensions do you think would be good to carry this bike?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Itchy said:
jsut came back from home depot and got a pack of four racheting (sp) nylon straps for 14 dollars (thouhgt it was pritty good) so how would i go on to compress the forks? i saw in like a picture on the box that they just threw 2 of the straps over the handlebars and then 2 on each side of the passenger's foot pegs. i know the footpegs are good idea but what is the best way to compress the forks with the nylon straps that i have?
I sit on the bike with the front wheel against the front of the bed. I'll Hold the front brake and push down with my bodyweight and when it gets to the bottom, yank the straps. I can load/unload my ZX11 by myself, which is easily a 500 lb. wet bike.

Good luck!

·
old member
13,079 Posts
If you attache the front straps safely (really suggest a Canyon Dancer), you can use the ratcheting straps to compress the front forks about 1/3 to 1/2. Just work each side a little bit at a time to try to keep the tension even.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
might be a stupid question but its better to know then to go into the dark without knowing but, how do you compress the forks correctly???

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Just be thankful you've got a light bike. I just got back from helping lifting a Honda 1000RR. Fuck that's a heavy ass bike. I knew it was heavier than the rest of the 1000s, but damn! It's especially heavy when you actually have to lift it because the bike was in such a mess the front tire wouldn't roll. I'll post pics in another thread.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just ride the bike home. Go there, practice for an hour or so in a parking lot getting shifting and things down or take an MSF course before you go to pick it up and ride it home. Highway riding is as easy as it gets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts