Sport Bikes banner

How to wash a bike?

3K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  DazalC 
#1 ·
Ok, probably a stupid question, but I was wondering how y'all wash your bikes. Is it pretty similar to washing a car? I am afraid to spray water on certain areas though, like the seats, the displays, etc.

Any tips would be appreciated!

#30 ·
try car wax.
I use car wash soap and water with a hose and sponge. I have exposed fiter elements so I wrap my filters in plastic bags. I use an all purpose cleaner to get the brake dust out of the center of my wheels. I use mothers to polish my frame, instrument surround, controls, wheels, gas cap etc. and a good wax over all the glass and clear plastic. I use mildly diluted mean green to clean the engine (after removing the fairing) and chain. I use compressed air to dry the whole bike.

#32 ·
My preferred method is to cruise around on a Saturday morning until I find some sorority holding a fund-raiser car wash. You know, the kind with a dozen college girls in bikinis sudsing cars and each other. <sigh>

Don't any of you ever just ride through an automatic car wash?

#33 ·
hmm... seems as if I'm a little more anal about cleanliness than most here... 2 to 3 x a year I'll wash w/chenille mitt, dry with absorber "chamois", use a claybar with quick detailer, then use a paint cleaner, then a paint polish, then a good glaze all applied with terry towel and buffed with microfiber.... I also use plexus on the shield and headlights... mean green for the engine/rims.. and kerosene with some chain wax for the chain...

My car gets the same treatment... between detail jobs, it's generally a spraydown with a pressure washer on the lowest setting (low enough to put my hand in the stream) and some light wiping (to avoid swirls/scratches)

#36 ·
Half-fast Rider said:
My preferred method is to cruise around on a Saturday morning until I find some sorority holding a fund-raiser car wash. You know, the kind with a dozen college girls in bikinis sudsing cars and each other. <sigh>

Don't any of you ever just ride through an automatic car wash?

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa:lao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.