Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, probably a stupid question, but I was wondering how y'all wash your bikes. Is it pretty similar to washing a car? I am afraid to spray water on certain areas though, like the seats, the displays, etc.

Any tips would be appreciated!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I use Honda Polish for most of my weekly cleaning.. Spray the polish everywhere and wipe off with a cloth rag. It does leave a slight film and you have to wipe it couple of times.

For more detailed cleaning.. I use normal carwash detergent and a hose without a sprayer. Don't get water on your gages and avoid getting water in your carbs.

Never use Armor All on your tires

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
im with the others here. I actually never "wash" my bike, if it gets dusty /dirty i just use honda pro cleaner polish. if i want to clean the engine, ill spray simple green on it and rinse. for my polished rims i spray wd-40 on them and then wipe it off.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. So some water on the gauges, etc is ok, but just avoid direct spray right?

Forgive this next stupid question, but where exactly are the carbs? I'm not sure I can identify that just yet.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
yes, remeber that a bike is designed to ride through rain, its probabaly not the best for it, but it can be done. the carbs are usually directly underneath the gas tank, there are usually 4 of them.

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
ok, this is what I do...been riding for years so I've washed my bikes hundreds of times. :)

If it's really really filthy (which it is sometimes as I ride in crappy weather) I use a degreaser (in the UK we get some stuff called 'gunk' or 'jizer') which I work into all the fiddly little areas with an old paintbrush. This stuff gets nearly all the built up crap off everything, I also use it on the wheels (back wheel usually covered in chain lube so all the muck sticks to it) and work it in with the paintbrush, try not to get too much on the tyres though (nearly impossible actually, just make sure you rinse it all off though).

I'll then use a bucket of soap and water (with a sponge ) for all the paintwork and plastics, and then use a hosepipe to rinse it all off, the degreaser comes off easily as long as you don't let it dry.

If you're using a 'high pressure' washer be a bit careful where you point it as you could knacker your wheel bearings if you direct the nozzle into the wheel hubs.

Then I just let it dry off and use ordinary car polish on the paintwork/plastic and check the chain slack and relube the chain.

Don't worry about water on the clocks/gauges etc (unless it's high pressure), I chuck water all over mine when I'm cleaning it, and I've ridden in torrential rain, never had a problem.
:)

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
You can use water on the guages. All of which should be water-sealed, but I use a low-pressure stream from the hose. I wash mine probably once a month, or whenever I do an oil change, chain, etc. Conventional car wash solution and clean rag. Wiped dry. Honda Polish on everything except mirrors and windshield, use Honda Glass Cleaner on those. WD-40 on rims.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks...so the simple solution for parts like the engine area, chain, etc is just to spray with water and wipe down the best you can? I don't want to get too into degreasers, very specialized cleaning techniques, etc.

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
shamster said:
Thanks...so the simple solution for parts like the engine area, chain, etc is just to spray with water and wipe down the best you can? I don't want to get too into degreasers, very specialized cleaning techniques, etc.
yup, just use car shampoo and water, then hose it down after and leave to dry. It really is that simple :)

don't worry about getting water everywhere, it really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
418 Posts
With a hose???

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
bomma said:
yup, just use car shampoo and water, then hose it down after and leave to dry. It really is that simple :)

don't worry about getting water everywhere, it really doesn't matter.
I usually wipe it dry with a leather chamois or clean diaper or some rag. You'll get water spots on the windshield and fairings if you don't dry it well. Of course, Honda Shine and Polish after helps out with that! :)

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I just use soap and water and clean it w/a towel and dry it. Then I'll use honda polish to go back over the bike.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
mercutio80 said:
Be careful with high pressure hoses. I know a guy who ripped his seat by spraying high pressure water on it.
Be careful with them? Nope. Just don't use them period.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
To be honest, I let my bikes get filthy. I mean I wash them maybe twice a year. Given the choice between cleaning or riding, I'll choose riding every time.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
bomma said:
yeah, a hosepipe, as in a tubular length of rubber attached to a tap. :)

Why is that so strange ?

Hearing (reading) it called a 'hosepipe' is funny. Damn near everything said by the English is in some way funny to Americans (secondary example: "knacker your wheel bearings").

No Offense Intended!! I'm sure a lot of what we say is amusing to you as well.

AS FOR THE BIKE WASHING:
I use a bucket of water with car wash soap (mixed a bit thin by personal preference) and a hose.
I dry everything off with a micro-fiber cloth so as to not leave spots.
For the windshield, mirrors, headlight, guages, etc I use Plexus and another micro-fiber cloth.

I picked up some paint safe adhesive remover called "Goof Off" when removing some factory decals and found that stuff works GREAT on my rear wheel to remove chain splatter.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
hozhead said:
Hearing (reading) it called a 'hosepipe' is funny. Damn near everything said by the English is in some way funny to Americans (secondary example: "knacker your wheel bearings").

You know this means you'll have to change your handle to "HozePipeHead" :lao

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
hozhead said:

AS FOR THE BIKE WASHING:
I use a bucket of water with car wash soap (mixed a bit thin by personal preference) and a hose.
I dry everything off with a micro-fiber cloth so as to not leave spots.
For the windshield, mirrors, headlight, guages, etc I use Plexus and another micro-fiber cloth.

I picked up some paint safe adhesive remover called "Goof Off" when removing some factory decals and found that stuff works GREAT on my rear wheel to remove chain splatter.

..and no offense taken mate .... :lol

I'm aware that (as I'm English) you lot probably think my use of the language is 'quaint'.
:lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts