1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
"canyon dancer" 4 tie downs, IMO

·
Registered
39 Posts
Use tie downs attached to the handlebars, ideally you want the tie downs as perpendicular to the bars as possible, but its not a big deal if they arent. Make sure they are even though, and that the bike isnt tilted at all. What I do on my dirtbike is run the tiedowns from the front of the trailer to the handlebars so that it holds it to the front and it doesnt move.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Always use racheted tie-downs. Technically you only need to use two on the front of the bike but I ALWAYS use two on the back also. If two is good.. FOUR is better yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
sry i forgot to mention that about the 2 tie downs on the back, i never do it because i feel that it sort of unbalances the rear of the bike, but u can never be too safe, so put 1 on each side of the swingarm to the floor of the trailer if possible. :leghump

·
Registered
498 Posts
I recommend six tie-downs. Two on the bars, two on the rear frame and two from the sides. Add a seventh to the front wheel rim for a little extra safety if you wish.

·
Registered
394 Posts
auron88 said:
sry i forgot to mention that about the 2 tie downs on the back, i never do it because i feel that it sort of unbalances the rear of the bike, but u can never be too safe, so put 1 on each side of the swingarm to the floor of the trailer if possible. :leghump
I always use the passenger foot-pegs rather than the swingarm.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
start with one of these http://www.condor-lift.com/ then get some tie downs.... The Condor will be the BEST investment you ever made! It was for me.....

·
old member
13,079 Posts
spawnx66 said:
If I strap the 2 on the front to the bars will it rest on the fairings?
Canyon Dancer bar strap and tie-downs that go out/down at about a 45 degree angle will take care of that.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Tie downs and a wheel chock/brace or whatever they are called that is the right size for sportbikes. You don't need a monster truck to tow it either, a Geo will do.

:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
be careful using ratcheting straps, if you tighten it too much, your fork seals are dead. also, if letting the bike sit on the trailer or in the back of a truck for an extended period of time, its best to relieve the front forks by loosening the straps, just dont forget to tie it back down when you drive away.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Here is a pic of our bikes tied down in our trailer ~ Visuals are always good.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you've got some cash, invest in a Baxley or Condor wheel chock. They're great because they capture the bike once it's rolled into the chock, giving you time to fasten it down. If you don't have a lot of cash, you can get a basic wheel chock that will hold the bike from some place like Dennis Kirk. It's just a curved piece of steel that mounts on to the trailer and prevents the bike from rolling forward or tipping over once it's secured in the chock. If you've got NO money, you can always make a chock out of 2 x 4 scraps of lumber screwed or nailed together. I did this when I first started trailering because I'm cheap and I wasn't sure if I wanted a chock or something like the Strapless Motorcycle Stand (http://www.ststands.com/main.cfm). I ended up going with the Condor chock.

My method is: Push the bike up into the Condor wheel chock. The fasten two straps, one to the bottom of each fork slider, and fasten them to tie points at the front corners of the trailer. Next, attach a tie-down to the left rear corner of the trailer then loop the strap around the top of the rear wheel and attach it to the right rear corner of the trailer. Rachet down the front straps, then the rear strap. Give the bike a good shake. Done. So far this system has worked for hauling a bike to my local track (30 miles by freeway). I'll be testing it further in March when I haul my bike down to Barbers.

I'm not a big fan of the Canyon Dancer rig because I worry about putting all that strain on the clip-ons, and I also worry about bodging up the throttle sleeve.

·
Sandbox hater!!
629 Posts
Yeah the Canyon Dancers are good. But when using them I would suggest that you drive about 10 miles and then go check them because they tend to shift a little. But if I am not using them I strap run mine up through the clipon and the triple clamp and use the circle on the hook to pass it through, I used to use the pass. pegs to tie the back down but now I took them all off so.... Hope this helps. The is the cheap man's way of doing it. Other than that the Condor IS THE BOMB YO!!!!

·
Sandbox hater!!
629 Posts
Stephen072774 said:
well its been 3 years, maybe the OP figured it out...

LOL oops yeah you are right.

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
Stephen072774 said:
well its been 3 years, maybe the OP figured it out...
:eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor

1 - 20 of 23 Posts