Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys hopefully i'll be getting a bike soon. i have a question about stoppies. i know how wheelies work but to do a stoppie do you just need to grab enough front brake to lift up the rear or you you need to somehow jump or shift your weith around in some way? just wondering

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
i hug my tank with my knees and grab enough brake to get it up and release a very very small amount when i get it up to roll em. NEVER GRAB THE BRAKE HARD!!! some people like to bounce the seat the split-sec before they hit the brake to get em up higher. i dont but thats just me.

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
the great ESKIMO said:
i hug my tank with my knees and grab enough brake to get it up and release a very very small amount when i get it up to roll em. NEVER GRAB THE BRAKE HARD!!! some people like to bounce the seat the split-sec before they hit the brake to get em up higher. i dont but thats just me.

I do the same thing..... I'm not an expert as I just got my bike in may. I find stoppies more comfortable than wheelies though.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have a problem getting them up myself. It's one of the only stuntz I'm not to sure of myself with yet. But after reading this I think I'm gonna try again when I get home! I'll let ya know how that werx out! :cut

·
Registered
496 Posts
wct097 said:
I'd suggest learning to ride before learning to stunt.... it's easier that way.
I'd say so. 4th year on a rocket. Been ridding dirtbikes and shit since I was 7. :headbang

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yea, I'm not being an asshole, trust me. I'd show you everything I know (not that I know that much) if you were local, but I'd advise you to put a few miles under your belt first. Stunting puts you on the edge of control, you really need to know how to control the machine before you try to get to the edge, if ya know what I mean.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I feel the same way dude. You always have to remember, Your ridding the bike don't let it ride you:2eek

·
Registered
42 Posts
when you first get your bike. try some emergency stops from like 35mph. try to stop as fast as possible. after doing that a while, you'll be able to feel when the front wheel is going to lock. you have to be able to feel when the front is going to lock up if you're gonna have any success at doing stoppies. the funniest spills i've seen are when newbies grab too much front brake too quick and the front locks and all they do is go sliding. at least if you go over the front, you did your stoppie :lol you could take some pride in that

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
The best way to do them is get good insurance first.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
backmarkin88 said:
when you first get your bike. try some emergency stops from like 35mph. try to stop as fast as possible. after doing that a while, you'll be able to feel when the front wheel is going to lock. you have to be able to feel when the front is going to lock up if you're gonna have any success at doing stoppies. the funniest spills i've seen are when newbies grab too much front brake too quick and the front locks and all they do is go sliding. at least if you go over the front, you did your stoppie :lol you could take some pride in that

35? you can roll them then. dude my fist stoppie was at 15. even though this is an old thread if anybody is interested, just get some balls and try it. thats the only way to learn them. they feel weird IMO.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
if you start to apply the brake at 15mph it wont happen. you gotta be going at least like 30mph when you start to apply the brake.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
snigg said:
if you start to apply the brake at 15mph it wont happen. you gotta be going at least like 30mph when you start to apply the brake.

if your defenition of a stoppie is gettin the rear wheel up then yes, you can do a stoppie at 15mph.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
maybe if you jam the front brake at 15mph you'll get the rear wheel up a few inches. what im saying is start applying the brake at 30-35 mph.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
Eskimo is talkin about the lil "eek" stoppie at the redlight....the one that makes the rear end pop up and then slam back down quickly. if you want to learn to do endo's or stoppies whatever u wanna call em you are gonna have to learn the point where the suspension stops collapsing and the rear end starts rising.....you want to compress the front forks down before you get the rear off the ground or it will be sloppy....you wanna start goin at like 35-45mph and just like was said before learn to stop fast to test the limits of your front tires adhesion on the pavement....once you learn how much you can brake before you lose the traction then you can worry about bringing up the rear end....now when you do it it should be a smoth action, not choppy....if its choppy you will end up eatin pavement and have a 400lb bike riding you like a snowsled until you stop......learn slow its the best advice i can tell u.

·
Registered
42 Posts
and when you're ready for rolling stoppies...get on a dirtbike or mountain bike and practice some on that. you have to get used to mixing brake control and the balance point. it doesn't take as much balls to try em 1st on those. unless you don't give a smack about your bike.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
quality advice Backmarkin88, dirtbikes or bicycles are good learning tools.....the thing though is that your bike (streetbike) will act a bit diffrently than a dirtbike and way diffrent from a bicycle, you see the balance point on each bike is diffrent...for example i can roll out endos on my 900RR nicely but i jump on my boys gixxer its 3-4 passes before i can get it rolling good.....cause the brakes are a bit diffrent (6 pot calipers w/ wave rotors on the Gixxer) and the suspension is diffrent (ohlins inverted) so it makes me have to "relearn" or adjust to the settings on that bike....but that is a great way to learn the basics without costing you a bundle when you dump your pride and joy :)

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
I might get the balls to try a wheelie on purpose sooner or later, but a stoppie? No thanks... These stock brakes, I don't like the modulation on them at all. I haven't even quite gotten threshhold braking down yet because every time the lever feels like it's at max, I can pull it a little harder and get a little more out of it. It just doesn't feel good...not something I can get comfortable with.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
well its ALL about your comfort man...if you dont feel comfortable doing it DONT!!! thats a good way to get yourself hurt...just take your time man things will come in time :)

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Definetly learn the bike and riing first. Gotta know what to expect.
OTH, I agree that it's not something you'll learn without just doing it. If you've ever done an endo on a bicycle, it's not really any different.
You will need more forward momentum due to the sheer weight of the bike. It seems counter-intuitive, but you're better off coming in at 30mph than at 15.

Stoplight stoppie- lean forward, apply some front brake to load the front end. As you approach the stopping point, haul in the front brake level smoothly, but with gusto. You can use your knees/ankles to pull up a bit as well.
You'll probably not even lift the rear at first, just stop abruptly like you don't know how to ride.
Very quickly you'll figure out how to get the rear end up higher (sort of like dating a chick....) and that's basically just more speed and quicker front brake application.
The rear will slam back down, just be prepared so you don't drop it. Be neutral as possible. Coming down with the bike sideways at all will make it difficult not to fall over. Also, keep that wheel strait. Letting it flop to the side is a sure crash.
Starting out, it's pretty unlikely you'll go completely over the bars. You really need to screw up to somersault a bike.
Some folks just stall their bike. If I plan on lifting the tail, I slip it into neutral before hitting the brake. Up to you.

Make sure you have warm tires and brakes!!! Especially in traffic (I know, you wouldn't DREAM of stunting in traffic....) because the front may just lock up and you'll go skidding into whatever is in front of you. A locked front tire combined with the body positioning for an endo spell disaster.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts