Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed a handlebar riser and I want to install a slightly longer front brake hose.

Is this a hard mod and where should I get a longer hose? I'm not sure I want to do something like a metal braided hose, rubber would be fine.

Thanks -

·
Registered
291 Posts
Not hard, just be careful not to get the brake fluid on your painted parts. I ordered the Goodridge lines and the kit comes with new banjo bolts and gaskets as well as 2 SS lines. The length looks like it would allow for taller bars without any problems.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
bugduc said:
Not hard, just be careful not to get the brake fluid on your painted parts. I ordered the Goodridge lines and the kit comes with new banjo bolts and gaskets as well as 2 SS lines. The length looks like it would allow for taller bars without any problems.
I've been thinking about this lately...how the hell do you change the lines WITHOUT getting brake fluid everywhere? Are you better off pulling the bottom banjos out and draining the lines and master cylinder/resevoir before disconnecting the tops? Work really fast and have a handful of rags to catch the deluge of brake fluid?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I like to drain everything before removing lines. A plastic bag with some paper towels in it wrapped around the fittings to a good job of catching damn near all fluid. Works well for pumping down the front forks too (on forks that have a lower drain screw).

·
Registered
291 Posts
I actually opened the master, stuck in a paper towel and sopped up the reservoir. Then I disconnected the line from the top, carefully fed it down through the fairing, and let it drain for a little bit before disconnecting from the calipers. Not the best way, I'm sure, but a pretty clean method.

The best way would be to use one of these vacuum systems drawing air through the caliper bleed screw and sucking up through the reservoir.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Buy a brake bleeding KIT! It will also help in removing the air from the lines after reinstalation.

·
Registered
858 Posts
FAZtER said:
Buy a brake bleeding KIT! It will also help in removing the air from the lines after reinstalation.
Yeah a vacuum bleeder works great I just hook it up remove the MC cover and suck out the fluid from both calipers from the bleeder screws and then remove lines, I did this when I went SS for the R6 front mod and it was a lot easier to bleed the brakes when you installed new lines too by yourself.
http://www.mityvac.com/kits.html#07000
These can be found at most automotive centers like pepboys or advance auto.

·
Registered
686 Posts
what I did to drain the master cylinder (and the manual recommends this too) was get a clear nylon tube from home depot (1/4" outside diameter) and plug that into the bleed nipple, open it, and drain the brake fluid into a container. quick and mess free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts