Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired an 85 Ninja 900 in several boxes - the PO was a doper and completely dismantled the bike. After a year of work, I have it back together except for installing the carbs between the air box and the intake boots. I need advice on how to do this. The fit is very tight as there are four airbox side boots that need to go on and four boots on the intake side that need to go on all at the same time. Everything is lined up (the airbox boots are offset) but I just can't get it all together.

Thanks for the help.

·
Superbike fan
871 Posts
I had an 85 600 and I never took the carbs and/or airbox out of there. If the design is similar then I can see how that would be trouble. I think the way to do it might be to remove the airbox and hook it to the carbs and slip it all in as a unit and then hook it to the cylinder head. Just a suggestion, I hope it helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good suggestion except that there is barely room to get the airbox in alone, let alone with the carbs attached. Thanks for the thought.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can you post a picture of your set up? The only experience I have is with my '99 ZX-11 and '04 ZX-10R. The 11 uses four identically sized "velocity stacks" on the carb inlets. The 10R's injectors have two larger stacks in the middle and two small ones on each end. A picture would really help. Sorry, I have no experience with the 9.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
It's a bitch to do. You need to slide the airbox as far back as possible. Get the front of the carbs into the rubber manifold boots attached to the cylinder head. Then start with the inside boots that go from the back of the cars to the airbox. If you can find a small hook like tool, you can kind of slide it around the boot and pull it over the back of the carb throat. It might take two people and a couple small screw drivers or hooks, but it can be done. I use to have a 900 Ninja back in the day. I got tired of messing with the airbox and just put seperate filters on it and said to hell with it..

·
Registered
25 Posts
A little trick you can use to get the manifolds on is to use a hair dryer to heat up the boots. It'll make them more compliant. Rubber gets hard and stiff when it ages and heating it softens it up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips. I got it half-assed assembled over the weekend, but I am going to try again with the front first/back center next tip and the blow dryer tip.

Thanks again guys (I have to have it together for next weekend or I lose mucho face on Scotch Monday).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike K. is the man

After hours of wrestling with this thing, I called a couple of friends - one of whom is a helicopter mechanic. He managed to get the carbs mounted up in less than an hour.

What was the secret?

I hadn't had any beer before attempting the job!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Like I always say "12 pack later every things great." :beer

·
Registered
75 Posts
yeah i've done it on my 500 several times, it's such a pain in the ass. Secret is a little oil on the rubber, and loosen the screws on the airbox to get it to push back a little bit. I dunno it was more trail and error the first time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts