Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is assuming you know how to remove your tank and airbox. If not let me know. Get a brass 5/8" spacer 2 " long with clamps, a 7/32 vacuum plug, and a 5/8" vacuum plug. You can get all of those at an auto parts store.

There are other ways to do this, this is one of them, others will say this is wrong and suggest another way. Choose whichever you agree with.

When you take off your air box you will see this. Unplug where the arrow is.

Disconnect where the blue arrows are. The red one leads to where you already unplugged from the carbs.

Put the spacer where the red arrow is and use the 7/32" plug where the blue arrow is.

Put the 5/8" vacuum cap here

There is a lot of argument about the crankcase hose on the back of the airbox. I left mine on and I am installing an oil separator.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I thought somebody would benefit from this? Oh well, should have done the jet kit install write up first.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
What does this do? Is this similar to the 'Kleen' mod where you block the reed valves on top of the valve cover? This seems similar, but taking it a step further by bypassing the tubing.

·
Registered
470 Posts
i was just thinkin about this the other day. great pics :cheers. the decel gurgle never bothered me until i started readin about this mod:lao

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What does this do? Is this similar to the 'Kleen' mod where you block the reed valves on top of the valve cover? This seems similar, but taking it a step further by bypassing the tubing.
This is the cheaper way than buying block off plates. It is a KLEEN mod.

·
Registered
470 Posts
so the other method bypasses the crank case vent into the reed inlet right? i thought that was the "kleen mod" cause your bypassing the vent? but this way just blocks off the reeds. so what causes the gurgle on decel? does this way also eliminate that?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other way directs the crankcase hose from the back of the airbox into the reed valves. This stopped the popping but still gurgles, throttle response seems better, probably my imagination.

·
5,366 Posts
what sort of gurgle?

The KLEEN system (kca valve is one piece of the system) is the exact same thing as a smog pump in a car. It moves clean air from the intake directly into the exhaust system to help the catalytic converters function better.

It's more or less utterly useless because the cat's work just fine at temperature and only really helps at all when the bike is cold (thats my understanding at least)

from what i've read (as i just got this bike and have yet to touch it) removing it helps get rid of popping on decel with an aftermarket exhaust system. My thinking on this one is just because that fresh air gives the exhaust the right a/f ratio to ignite inside the exhaust.

They sell blockoff plates on the net, or you can just do how is illustrated in the pictures because it is essentially blocked off.

The other thing that people do is take the crank case vent, and re-direct it from the stock position (into the air box, through your carb which can gum up your carb and leave residue all over the intake and airbox) and into the Kleen system so as allowing it to still function, but direct the gunk coming from the crank case vent into the exhaust to be expelled from the bike.

·
Registered
470 Posts
what sort of gurgle? from what i've read removing it helps get rid of popping on decel with an aftermarket exhaust system.
i thought this got rid of the decel gurgle. its just a very muffled exhaust sound when you let off in the higher RPM range. might be just a street bike thing. this is my first. i dont think i have too much popping though. ill pay attention to that next time and not the gurgle.

·
Registered
306 Posts
did this last night, the same was as you did, just removed the valve and capped the airbox and vac. line t and then joined the 2 valves with a piece or pipe. i can really tell when i 1st start the bike you can really smell its fuel. but other than that i cant tell anything

·
Registered
470 Posts
i did this the other day and only just got to ride it today. had a hard time starting but eventually did. but didnt seem right. hopped on and took off. real bad lag. so i turned around and went straight to the garage where she died. i started to break it down when i realized that i still had the petcock off? thats why it died but why did it start funny? i turned the gas and took off. bike ran fine. well see next cold start.

but as far as the popping goes (which is the gurgling sound i was talkin about, the muffler just muffles it well) it took away the popping A LOT!!! mostly in the higher RPM range when you let off but when it drop's lower it starts poppin again. but still a much cleaner decel sound. thanks for the write up Farsscf!:cheers

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem, glad to help. I still get a little decel noise also but I agree it sounds much better.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry to bring up a (very) old thread but I had a few questions.

I plan on doing this to my 2007 ZZR600 with K&N air filter, Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Yoshimura RS3 Carbon fiber and soon to come muzzy ignition advancer. I have a significant amount of decel popping that I'm hoping to cut down.

I plan on doing the mod as above but I do plan on getting either the Driven (ebay) or Muzzy block off plates. So i assume I will use the same setup as above ( first few posts) with that difference, is this correct?

Also as far as the line going from the crankcase to the back of the Air box...Should I install an oil separator as mentioned above or leave it alone? If an oil separator is suggested can I use a universal crank case filter? I believe k&n sells one.

Again, Sorry is this has been covered but I have searched several sites including SBN and most of what i find is not our year ZZR or analogous 00-02 zx6r or it is the other method of connecting the reeds to crankcase vent.

TIA

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Unless you are overfilling the crankcase with oil or have some mechanical issue inside the engine the amount of oil making it up the crankcase vent into your airbox is insignificant and I wouldn't bother re-routing or changing that set up or adding an oil seperator.

With the block off plates, the only other things to do is block off the one vacuumn line and the hole in the bottom of the airbox

·
Registered
67 Posts
riverszzr, Thank you for your reply and help! block off plates are ordered, looking forward to do this mod over the winter.

Thanks again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts