Sport Bikes banner

How to not quit, illustrated

350 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  big_slacker 
#1 ·
Anyone who has done any kind of endurance sport has probably at some point "bonked", "hit the wall", whatever. Today was one of those days. I barely made it out of bed and got to the trailhead to meet with 3 other riders. I showed up 4 minutes before the ride, everyone was wearing jerseys and racing gear, no baggies to be seen. Shit.

Well, it started right out as a hammerhead ride. No such thing as "no drop" on rides like this. If you can't keep up you're a big boy and get yourself back. To the first turn off I kept everyone in sight. Then we started to climb up a fireroad. One of those up a hill and around the corner is.... another hill. Everyone was pulling away, my legs were screaming, lungs screaming, felt like puking, ugh....

I had to get off and walk. Had to stop a couple of times. It crossed my mind to just turn around and ride back down to the cars. But that little voice inside my head was pretty rudely telling me, "Its ok to move forward slowly, but if you turn around you're a pussy."

So I didn't. I kept it moving and made it over the worst on nothing more than stubbornness. After that it turned into a pretty awesome ride. And I even caught up with everyone! Well, they were leaving the parking lot as I rolled in. I think I was probably 10 minutes back. :D

Here is a link to the GPS data from the ride. If you let it play you can see exactly where the tough part was based on the MPH.

Click here for pain

See less See more
#3 ·
LOL

That is totally what I was thinking.

#6 ·
Nah, just a fucking job that eats up too much of time that could be better spent on riding or laying on the beach. I'm doing something about that currently. :banana

#8 ·
Liar. You said this was illustrated. I demand drawings or AT LEAST some paint-by-numbers!

I wouldn't mind picking up a mountain bike someday, after I first replace my stolen BMX and pick up a cruiser-type bicycle. Right now I have a pretty damn nice roadbike which I use for commuting and general enjoyment, and I clock at least 120mi a week on it which is pretty decent.

#10 ·
I haven't passed my lab yet, no such thing as a CCIE written. :D

There is an illustration if you click the link. It even moves! :twofinger

I've been meaning to pick up a roadbike, but its in line after snowboards, season passes to heavenly and kayaks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.