Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there's a lot of options. I am mostly interested in the ability to access the GPS maps function on my cell phone while riding. What do you guys recommend?

Not so interested in making/taking phone calls, but this may change in the future. What type of Bluetooth or other system do you guys use to answer or make calls from your mobile phone?

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I prefer my tank bag in the clear map pocket so it stays dry. there are many companies that make mounts for them. some are very over priced for a china pile of crap they are.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I have a Bilt Bluetooth helmet I got on closeout. Turned out to be a Decient helmet. I also picked up a handlebar mount for my note 2 from the local ridenow store in Concord. I have zero complaints about the product. I don't remember the name off the top of my head but I'll try and get the name and some pictures up tomorrow.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
495 Posts
I second the SENA SMH-10.

I use it with my iPhone 4S, and Siri is helpful at directions, placing calls and setting reminders.

The 4S sits either in my jacket pocket, or in the topbox, depending on what I'm riding.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I don't use my phone while riding. I'm not sure the gloves would activate the touchscreen.

For GPS, I have a Garmin Zumo 450 hardwired into the bike, and mounted with a Techmount ( TECHMOUNT - Home ) to the bars or center stem (depending on the bike). I like the Garmin, and I've had really good luck with it. Its touchscreen works with gloves, it is water proof, the mount has a locking mechanism so I can leave it on the bike in many situations, and the screen is easy to read in almost all lighting conditions. They're pricy, but well worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Techmount ( TechMount ) likely makes something that will work. With a YZF and clipons, you probably want a stem mount. That goes in the center stem of the bike and you adjust it to where you want the device positioned. Then you mount the device cradle to the techmount. They sell cradles/holders for the iPhone as well. You're probably looking at 100 - 160 depending on what you go with from them.

Another option would be Powerlet ( Powerlet Products - Rugged power outlets, cables and electronics ), they also make device mounts. I've never used Powerlet's device mounts, but I have used their power sockets, and they are reliable.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
To use a touchscreen with gloves, get some conductive thread and sew a patch of it onto the fingertips.

I have a couple of pairs of driving gloves that came with it. Works pretty well.

I dont have a way to mount my phone on my bike yet either, but i am looking to do that soon, and I'll pick up some of this thread to mod my riding gloves. A few friends of mine have done so already (where I got the idea from).

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, I think the smh 10 is exactly what I'm looking for. I like the ability to listen to GPS directions without having to look down, and I like the ability to make/answer calls and listen to music.

I'm thinking with a full face helmet, the wired mic without the boom is the way to go. Any of you use the boom mic with a full face helmet?

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
My sena has a boom. It works ok at low speeds, but anything above 40ish and it's hard for the person on the other end to hear anything but wind.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Because you have the same bike as me, and are clearly a quality human being with intelligence, I will suggest this mount:

It took some experimenting with different installation points, but I eventually got it to fit right next to the clip-on assembly. It doesn't fit directly on to the handlebar but I found an angle that allowed me to get it snugly bolted down.

I have used a tank bag with a map pocket on top and found the phone moved around and changed orientation no matter what I used to stuff it, and I had to completely take my eyes off the road so I ended up pulling over all the time. That caused a new bag of headaches.

You are probably best off with the headset but may decide you would like to be able to glance at the map if you drive on roadways that are deliberately confusing, as they are here. The RAM mount keeps the phone higher than the gauges so that is a plus.

Just be super-vigilant and picky about where you choose to look at the map as it costs a lot of Keith Code dollars and is an inherently dangerous task on a motorcycle. Even when they eventually design in-helmet HUD for motorcycles, maps and phones are going to get motorcyclists into trouble.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a Whistler 300 bluetooth system I bought at the local Cycle Gear for $99 + tax a few years ago on black friday. The reg. price at the time was $299. Last year on BF I picked up some smartphone friendly riding gloves made by Street&Steel, they allow you to use the touchscreen. I also found that MECHANIX brand gloves work with the screen so on my last set of riding gloves I cut off the index finger of the left glove, and replaced it with the MECHANIX via super glue.

When wearing my modular helmet I use my Jay Bird bluetooth headphones, and only use one headphone but it's really all I need to hear everything clearly. I can udjust the volume or change music tracks on my iPhone 4 by swiping the home screen.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My sena has a boom. It works ok at low speeds, but anything above 40ish and it's hard for the person on the other end to hear anything but wind.
How did you angle your boom? I have my mic roughly positioned left of my mouth up near the bottom edge of the visor. I also have a wind guard in the chin area of my helmet. Wife doesnt know I'm on the bike unless I'm going 50+ or HAMMERING my literbike.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I dunno... Usually I just shove it out of my way so it doesn't bother me when I'm riding. If I take a call I might try to reposition it a little, but there isn't a lot of room for adjustment. It is usually off to the right i guess, closer to the bottom of the helmet than to the shield. Anywhere else and it touches me all the time, which drives me nuts.

I don't often use the sena to talk on the phone anyway, really, maybe a little for the intercom if I am riding with others I've paired it with. I use it mainly for listening to music.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts