Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may need to adjust my chain slack, but I am confused by the owner's manual. The manual merely refers to its diagram. I can interpret the diagram two ways; which way is correct?

1) Is it:
- Push chain up and note its high point at top side of chain.
- Push chain down and note its low point to underside of chain.
- Slack is difference (this includes the thickness of chain).

2) Is it:
- Push chain up and note its high point at top side of chain.
- Push chain down and note its low point to top side of chain.
- Slack is difference (this excludes the thickness of chain).

Method (1) gives a reading that is about 1/2" higher than (2). This is significant.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
I always use the happy medium and measure to the middle of the link in both directions. Provided you aren't at the threshold of the lower or upper measurement when adjusting, you should be completely fine ( and probably are fine even if you were).

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
bugduc said:
I always use the happy medium and measure to the middle of the link in both directions. Provided you aren't at the threshold of the lower or upper measurement when adjusting, you should be completely fine ( and probably are fine even if you were).
Measuring to the center of the chain is the same as measuring to the top of the chain in both directions. As long as it's the same point that you're measuring too it doesn't matter.

I push the chain down and set that as zero (slide a ruler down so that '0' is at the center of one of the pins), then lift the chain up and measure to the center of the pin, giving me the measurement of slack.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

So, my chain is good. I'm off to the canyons tomorrow.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I thought it was telling you to measure the slack from the bottom of the swingarm to the top of the chain and that was your slack. That was how I interpreted the diagram. Without pushing the chain up or down, just measure it how it hangs. I'll have to go out and take another look tonight after my bike cools down a little from riding home. I'll have to use your method of measuring distance between pulling up and pushing down instead and see where the tension lies. I'll let you all know what I find out. Good post SKELETON. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
If something broke due to the chain being too tight, I would complain to Yamaha Head Office that the diagram lead you to believe to check it wrongly and therefore they should foot the bill.

I bet it would work after much pissing.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bugduc said:
I had since spoke with the chief mechanic at my Yamaha dealership. He confirmed your posting: measure to a common point on the chain over the travel of pushing up and down.

Note, the specs in the manual pertain to when the bike is on the center stand (as it states). A reading in any other bike posture (side stand, or seated) will require less chain slack.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Mine is very approx. 1.75 inches, if anything it's slightly tight - but I didn't bother adjusting, as I figure it goes nowhere but looser over time.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Binary Jay said:
Mine is very approx. 1.75 inches, if anything it's slightly tight - but I didn't bother adjusting, as I figure it goes nowhere but looser over time.
What's that number in binary?
:)

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Well technically binary can only represent whole numbers without extra formatting that would need to be interpreted. :) Sooo, rounding up to 2, we could say my chain slack is somewhere between 01 and 10.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
calzor suzay said:
What puzzles me is what happens when you push the chain up and it touches the swingarm...
I'd say that if it touches the bottom of the swingarm you've got it too loose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts