Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am practicing in my apartment complex's parking lot and for the first time today, i got bored.

I was out with my teacher at a nearby parking lot that is more interesting because i don't see it everyday, and there are not cars liable to back out on me...

I am nailing the slow U turns now, by the way, he made me repeat them and repeat them and repeat them til my fear was gone (well, 90 percent gone, i put my foot down 1nce...but 1 out of 10+ turns is not bad, compared to barely keeping my feet up the last time we were out)...

I think me and the bike are...bonding...?

So what do i do about being bored with my parking lot. I have one week more of practice to do in it.

·
Banned
5,056 Posts
You could get some cones and set up an moreless of an obstacle course for you or even sidewalk chalk but that would be alot of drawing..... I imagine others will come along with excelent ideas.

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
an obstacle course in the middle of the apartment complex parking lot? what do i do when cars are coming? remember this isn't the empty lot. I don't get bored in the empty lot cause I am doing specific drills with my friend/teacher. In mine, i am just going around and practicing slow corners, parking in a parking space (right angle turn), and stopping properly at the stop signs. For some reason that just got boring very fast today.

·
Registered
791 Posts
After 2 days in a school near my house. I got bored and took it to the other side of the school LOL. Really though, I did. The entrance at the other side is a long straightaway and a curve. Started speeding through there back and forth. Then hit the "back streets." Do you have any good backstreets where you're from? Good back streets where there are no drivers "WORSE" than me on the road LOLOLOL

So do you have a personal bike trainer or aim just comprehending what you wrote badly. How well are you doing figure 8s? I'm ready to go back out and pratice that so i can be ready for my license test.

BTW, you could always come pick me up on ur bike to go pratice, let me wrap my hands around your waist and you wouldnt be bored anymore. I wonder what its like sitting behind someone on a bike.

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SnookayDCC said:
After 2 days in a school near my house. I got bored and took it to the other side of the school LOL. Really though, I did. The entrance at the other side is a long straightaway and a curve. Started speeding through there back and forth. Then hit the "back streets." Do you have any good backstreets where you're from? Good back streets where there are no drivers "WORSE" than me on the road LOLOLOL

So do you have a personal bike trainer or aim just comprehending what you wrote badly. How well are you doing figure 8s? I'm ready to go back out and pratice that so i can be ready for my license test.

BTW, you could always come pick me up on ur bike to go pratice, let me wrap my hands around your waist and you wouldnt be bored anymore. I wonder what its like sitting behind someone on a bike.
I begin to see how you could have earned the name Snookie...lol.

I do not feel right to go on any streets because I have not passed the msf test yet, and do not have a bike endorsement on my license (to be honest, i won't be redoing my license til i take care of some vanity issues, but i have the decency to wait until i get the msf certificate first).

i just moved to this part of town, so i don't know where back streets are...i am actually closer to the highway than anything...but i am right near a main road that heads out of town towards the small towns of Georgia. I'll be on it when i pass the test next week (and now that i can do figure 8s and control my friction zone, i know i will, i failed the test the first time)...

my friend who has been riding since over 20 years ago as a teenager in jamaica is my teacher after the msf...he took an msf refresher course in orlando, so he know what they teach, not just his bad habits...he is not paid (except with the pleasure of my company, which I am sure he doesn't mind)...but he does drill me as hard as the msf guys, and he doesn't smile until it's over...he tells me "me and you are not friends when it comes on to the bike."

:D

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Use some paper cups instead of cones,that way they won't freak out so bad.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Browni!!! Its been months why aren't you endorsed yet?

Set up a ramp with a Flaming Hoop that would be cool as shyte, Your name could be "The Flamin Jamacian'

·
Registered
321 Posts
Brownilus said:
my friend who has been riding since over 20 years ago as a teenager in jamaica is my teacher after the msf...he took an msf refresher course in orlando, so he know what they teach, not just his bad habits...he is not paid (except with the pleasure of my company, which I am sure he doesn't mind)...but he does drill me as hard as the msf guys, and he doesn't smile until it's over...he tells me "me and you are not friends when it comes on to the bike."

Wow my MSF teachers must have been kick ass, they joked around with us unless we were actually testing, but even then we got the "attaboy" smile.

Come to think of it, the guy was pretty funny, he was like 5'3'', had a big old beard, huge beer gut, drove a harley dresser, and probably weighed about 250 lbs. He looked mean but he was one of the nicest guys I've had as a teacher for anything.

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Juggalo said:
Browni!!! Its been months why aren't you endorsed yet?

Set up a ramp with a Flaming Hoop that would be cool as shyte, Your name could be "The Flamin Jamacian'

? It's been months? Who told you that story? I owned the bike since april, and it is still may...technically it's only been about 1 month I've had the thing total...it's only been DAYS that i have been riding it...I didn't know how to ride a bike before the msf, and didn't know how to drive a standard car either...as the only person in the class that didn't know how to drive standard, remembering to synchronize everything on top of learning to be on a bike (as not the passenger, but the rider) for the first time required more time than they spend on it in a few hours across 2 days with 11 other people to finish all the exercises by a certain time.

Did you read my thread over in the women's forum yet? It has a pretty detailed explanation of why i am not endorsed yet...i am retaking the test this coming Sunday (not today)...but thanks for making me feel like i'm on the short bus...(((grumbling..."months"...like I had the bike since January or something)))

...We will...take the flaming Jamaican (spelling man!) idea under consideration... :neener

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
v4barnes said:
Wow my MSF teachers must have been kick ass, they joked around with us unless we were actually testing, but even then we got the "attaboy" smile.

Come to think of it, the guy was pretty funny, he was like 5'3'', had a big old beard, huge beer gut, drove a harley dresser, and probably weighed about 250 lbs. He looked mean but he was one of the nicest guys I've had as a teacher for anything.
These guys made jokes on brakes or in between drills, but during the exercises they weren't calling out jokes, they were calling out instructions/corrections...

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Brownilus said:
? It's been months? Who told you that story? I owned the bike since april, and it is still may...technically it's only been about 1 month I've had the thing total...it's only been DAYS that i have been riding it...I didn't know how to ride a bike before the msf, and didn't know how to drive a standard car either...as the only person in the class that didn't know how to drive standard, remembering to synchronize everything on top of learning to be on a bike (as not the passenger, but the rider) for the first time required more time than they spend on it in a few hours across 2 days with 11 other people to finish all the exercises by a certain time.

Did you read my thread over in the women's forum yet? It has a pretty detailed explanation of why i am not endorsed yet...i am retaking the test this coming Sunday (not today)...but thanks for making me feel like i'm on the short bus...(((grumbling..."months"...like I had the bike since January or something)))

...We will...take the flaming Jamaican (spelling man!) idea under consideration... :neener
opps my bad I thought you got it in Feb

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Brownilus said:

Awesome attitude for the guy to have. Sounds like he really cares about you--dying sucks, and no good friend would take safety lightly.

A few things that should help ease that boredom...
Get some cones (I used cans half full with water to keep 'em still :lol) and set up an offset weave. Also, set up the cones so that you have to do a quick swerve to stay between them--both of these skills can be translated to real life... I've had to swerve to avoid people/cars/kids(!!!)/etc many times. Definately practice swerving. Other than that, just get nice and comfy on your bike, and enjoy!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Practise hard stops. (don't lock up the front or you might be practising falling).
Practise stopping while turning.
Practise starting in a turn.
Practise hard stops in a hard turn.
Practise quick starts in a turn.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Ghost Rider said:
+1 I've had to do that quite a few times with the way traffic is around here :rolleyes

If you have a fairly steep hill nearby, practicing starting and turning on a hill would be good too. The parking lot I used had a raised area that it looked like was used for loading trucks at one point (abandoned hangar), and that skill has proven invaluable.

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ghost Rider said:
Practise hard stops. (don't lock up the front or you might be practising falling).
Practise starting in a turn.
Practise hard stops in a hard turn.
Practise quick starts in a turn.
Thanks! I do need to learn to move off faster...sometimes i move with the beat, sometimes i get nervous the bike will shut off so i play around with it before I move off...and i can't really do that in real life at green lights, supposed to just GO after the light turns green (and the red light runners have passed)...

I am not sure i can go fast enough in the apartment complex to do a hard turn and stop in it...I think I need to find those back roads suggested next week and do that. But the rest can always use practice...

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
^^^
You don't want to be going too fast when you're just getting used to the feeling of stopping hard. 20mph is plenty fast. 70% front, 30% rear. Locking your rear tire is easy when braking hard.

You may also want to check out "Proficient motorcycling" and "A Twist of the Wrist" 1 and 2. VERY good books... The former is motorcycle safety oriented, and the latter two are sportbike riding technique oriented.

[EDIT]New and improved, with links!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1889540536/qid=1117393274/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-5473074-8786564?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0965045013/qid=1117393308/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-5473074-8786564?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0965045021/qid=1117393315/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/102-5473074-8786564?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Hagios, I owned those books before I bought the bike. Got them off Ebay, on the advice from some riders from another sportbike site i found before this one. I also have Ride Hard, Ride Smart. I am reading all and not finished with any as yet. Mr Code's opening discussion on instinctive fear helped me get ride of it and trust the bike...

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
I haven't heard of Ride Hard, Ride Smart. Is it any good? Might go pick it up after I move

1 - 20 of 33 Posts