Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had this Ninja 650 for a month, but I haven't really learned how to turn at higher speeds into a turn. I'm trying it little by little, but I'm not trying it for real yet.

In a sports car like the M3, it's pretty easy to take a sharp turn and feel the G's (as long as you have the space). You just have to prepare your body being slammed to the side of the car and hold the wheel in place and adjust accordingly. But how do you do this on a bike like those sport bike riders who are dragging their knee into the turns? Well, maybe I don't have to be that crazy, but I want to start learning how to do a good turn and gradually do them at higher speeds.

Right now, I just slow down and turn the handle bar with the bike still mostly upright. But I want to do the turn where I barely turn the handle bar and most of the turn is coming from the lean. I can do this on a bicycle, so is it the same idea? I just feel like my bike will slip, plus I have less control when in a lean position if there was an emergency situation where I had to avoid something. Any tips please?

·
Registered
731 Posts
How many times do you have to be told to take a motorcycle safety course? It teaches you the "basics" which you obviously know nothing about.

Ever heard about target fixation? You may not have heard about it but you're about to do it real soon. After that happens, we may be free of Jetfalcon posts. I hope that doesn't happen but you're going about this bike thing all backwards.

The smart, adult thing, would be to learn the basics, ie. take an MSF course, read a book, etc BEFORE you start riding on the streets. After you buy a bike, you READ THE MANUAL.

These are the things responsible adults do. You're 25 yrs old, but you act like like an immature 16yr old. You're lazy and have no sense of self-responsibility. Do you're homework and then ask an informed question. You are so fucking naive and uninformed that I'm afraid you may soon become a statistic.

To answer you're OP question... You need to look ahead into the turn and the bike will follow if you have any clue what you are doing. You should absolutely NOT be doing any HI SPEED turns :doh

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Hint hint...people really are trying to help you. Would you please follow the advice for fucks sake?

·
Registered
729 Posts
How in the name of Valentino Rossi did you ever get your motorcycle license? Didn't you have to either take an MSF course or take a riding test?

If you are really riding that bike on streets and highways without knowing how to steer it, you will get hurt, sooner or later. These basics should be learned in empty parking lots and on quiet streets. If your inevitable fall happens in traffic, you stand a good chance of having one or more vehicles squash your body into a gooey mess.

Do yourself a favor - go get some 1-on-1 professional instruction.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Y'know, if JetFalcon's insurance agent is reading this thread, he's going to be cancelled real soon....

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
you gotta crank that shit over by pushing the bike down underneath your butt.

·
Registered
971 Posts
You really should take the MSF course. The behaviors on a bike are very different from a car. The habits one develops driving a car, like slowing down in a curve, can get you killed on a bike. Things are counter-intuitive for most drivers.

MSF will teach you how to execute a turn at a variety of speeds. You'll have the chance to practice, on a closed course, with instructors watching you and able to provide you with immediate feedback so you can make corrections. Personally, I've taken the MSF three times in about 17 years, and I've enjoyed it each time. I've always gotten something out of it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
How many posts did this jackass have about "lane splitting" before he ever swung his leg over a bike? Now he's posting about how to turn the bike. Squid city...

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
please for the love of Odin, Ra, and Yahweh take the MSF course.

·
What's a Gixxah?
1,129 Posts
I'm scared for you OP and I'm scared for all of us here that we might actually meet on the open road one day.

Listen to everyone here and take the MSF course. What's a weekend of your time and $250 for yours and everyone else's safety?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
So I have had this Ninja 650 for a month, but I haven't really learned how to turn at higher speeds into a turn. I'm trying it little by little, but I'm not trying it for real yet.

In a sports car like the M3, it's pretty easy to take a sharp turn and feel the G's (as long as you have the space). You just have to prepare your body being slammed to the side of the car and hold the wheel in place and adjust accordingly. But how do you do this on a bike like those sport bike riders who are dragging their knee into the turns? Well, maybe I don't have to be that crazy, but I want to start learning how to do a good turn and gradually do them at higher speeds.

Right now, I just slow down and turn the handle bar with the bike still mostly upright. But I want to do the turn where I barely turn the handle bar and most of the turn is coming from the lean. I can do this on a bicycle, so is it the same idea? I just feel like my bike will slip, plus I have less control when in a lean position if there was an emergency situation where I had to avoid something. Any tips please?

·
Registered
341 Posts
The MSF probably won't teach you what you're tying to do (control the bike with body position rather or more so than bike lean), BUT, it will teach you the foundation you need to know and have down 100% BEFORE trying to move into more advanced skills like hanging off to corner (which can be learned at training events from Code's California Superbike School or Park's Total Control). So in short, take the MSF, log at least 5000-6000 miles this season and then take level one of one of those training courses above. If you dont, I'm seriously going to laugh my ass off when you bin your bike and get rashed up because you'll have honestly deserved it. Don't be a fucking idiot; get training ASAP!

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
MSF to learn how to intiate a turn. Then to learn how to turn faster, once you have more experience, get to a track day.

Reactions: mulletman

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I'm betting he doesn't have his license. I've heard terror stories about the DMV riding test out here and how difficult it is to pass if you don't have experience on a bike. I took the MSF because it was easier to pass and because I wanted to make sure I at least got the basics down.

You wanna learn how to turn? Either do some goddamn research, take the MSF, or go out and practice in a parking lot. I'm saying this in all seriousness, stay the fuck off the road until you learn how to ride. Stay the fuck out of the canyons until you learn how to ride. You're obviously over your head and I'd hate to see another rider/riders get hurt because you tried to roll through a canyon without any concept of turning and then lowside the bike into the opposite lane or target fixate into the opposite lane and cause an accident. You're a danger to yourself and to others on the road right now.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts