Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a big drag race fan and have had several hot rods. Some ran in the 11's others in the 13's. I've been riding bikes for a while but have always wanted to drag one. I've got a '07 Busa with a Power commander, ATRE, Air Filter, Air Box mod, Custom shorties, -1 in the front sprocket and it's been custom mapped. It's a very strong bike and is killer at every gear. But I'm just not sure how to launch it! Any advice?:dunno

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. The suspension is all stock. I really hate to alter it too much, because I also love the twisties. I think I'll do prett good once I figure out how to launch without making a butt out of myself.

·
Registered
113 Posts
yea the only thing ur really got to worry about is keeping that wheel down..cause if u let out the clutch to fast its goin to come up

·
Registered
377 Posts
I will probably be running my bike in a few weeks too. Have tons of drag racing experience in cars but none on bikes. I dont really want to slip the clutch. Is that bad on the clutch? I know you wont have as good of a time if you just limp it out like you would on the street driving normal but getting on it hard after the clutch it out. But what do you think of this technique?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I know they are difficult to launch. I race with a few Busa's and they struggle here and there. I ride a 600 and pull 1.68-1.7 60 foots with a strap. I launch at 10-12K depending on the track. I've never heard of liter bikes launching at that rpm. One of the main guys I race with has a ZX10 he lanuches at 5 or 6 and he does REALLY well. Clean launch, good 60 foot and great e/t.

Good luck getting the Busa down.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Wow I wish I could launch that high. No way in hell my local track would hold that. I slip it from 8k or so and manage 2.0-2.1 60s.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead... Hopefully someone sees this.

I did 2 attempts at launching. It was shamefully squidfully on the street. There isn't a track very close. I know better but oh well... I need to learn to launch so I can go up against my friends Mustang Mach 1 when I actually go to the track. His best was a 12.9 so I anticipate losing but I want to be as close as possible.

Attempt 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdJn55nu4fM&feature=youtu.be

Attempt 2, skip to like 0:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee4h9xWJCbw

My 0-60 is in the mid-high 4 range. I thought these Ninja 500's were like 3.9-4.2 I'm 130 lbs in gear so it's not weight. Elevation is about 700-800 feet and it was 90 degrees. I don't know how to launch it any better. Now, I am trying to shift at or before 10k (because I heard cranks on the 500 like to snap if you rev it higher) so that could also be the reason its slower. Anyone have any tips for me please?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead... Hopefully someone sees this.

I did 2 attempts at launching. It was shamefully squidfully on the street. There isn't a track very close. I know better but oh well... I need to learn to launch so I can go up against my friends Mustang Mach1. His best was a 12.09 so I anticipate losing but I want to be as close as possible.

Attempt 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdJn55nu4fM&feature=youtu.be

Attempt 2, skip to like 0:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee4h9xWJCbw

My 0-60 is in the mid-high 4 range. I thought these Ninja 500's were like 3.9-4.2 I'm 130 lbs in gear so it's not weight. Elevation is about 700-800 feet and it was 90 degrees. I don't know how to launch it any better. Now, I am trying to shift at or before 10k (because I heard cranks on the 500 like to snap if you rev it higher) so that could also be the reason its slower. Anyone have any tips for me please?
Holy thread revival :D

I think you've seen my thread on EX500, but I don't know what those times equate to for 0-60 times. My best was around 2 flat 60 ft.

My personal technique for launching might be different than others. For the 500, I don't hold the rpms at 7-8k before the light. Instead, I keep revs pretty low, then crank the throttle (near full throttle)) right before I start slipping the clutch. This way, I ensure I'm full throttle as quickly as possible, which is ok on a relatively low power bike like the 500. End result is after the first couple feet I'm skipping the front tire through most of first gear when I do it right.

Also, if you haven't learned yet, practice clutchless upshifting.

Yes you'll lose if the stang is putting down a 12. I was up in the 13.7 range when I went, though with some practice (and the fact that you're a bit lighter than me) I'd bet you could be around 13.5.

Edit: just watched your videos. Seemed like you had a pretty decent launch, though you let the revs drop kinda low to almost 5k in the first vid.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Holy thread revival :D

I think you've seen my thread on EX500, but I don't know what those times equate to for 0-60 times. My best was around 2 flat 60 ft.

My personal technique for launching might be different than others. For the 500, I don't hold the rpms at 7-8k before the light. Instead, I keep revs pretty low, then crank the throttle (near full throttle)) right before I start slipping the clutch. This way, I ensure I'm full throttle as quickly as possible, which is ok on a relatively low power bike like the 500. End result is after the first couple feet I'm skipping the front tire through most of first gear when I do it right.

Also, if you haven't learned yet, practice clutchless upshifting.
I tend to search forums first lol. Found this so I revived it haha. Thanks for the advice. I have seen your thread haha. I was clutchless shifting in that vid. I asked on EX500 and FOG said it takes practice, I was doing fine, and to take it a little over 10 grand. I've used your technique before too. Obviously a stop watch isn't the most accurate. I'd need to go to the track and launch a few times and compare 60 ft times.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I tend to search forums first lol. Found this so I revived it haha. Thanks for the advice. I have seen your thread haha. I was clutchless shifting in that vid. I asked on EX500 and FOG said it takes practice, I was doing fine, and to take it a little over 10 grand. I've used your technique before too. Obviously a stop watch isn't the most accurate. I'd need to go to the track and launch a few times and compare 60 ft times.
I added a few edits to my prior post. Seems like you have a pretty good feel for launching and just can refine it a bit. Remember that those 0-60 times are done by very talented riders in ideal conditions. I think I put down pretty good times on my Daytona (7.69 in the 1/8th) until I see that other guys are getting close to 7 flat. It's pretty humbling.

I'd definitely recommend finding a track if you can, it'll make it a much more enjoyable experience. I'm lucky enough to have an 1/8th mile track right near me and a 1/4 mile track an hour away. It's worth a moderate trip IMO.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The first launch I just dumped the clutch as soon as I was moving. The second launch I tried to slip the clutch. FOG said to overrev in 1st since there is little load on the engine. So that will help. Like you said, I have a general feel of how it should go. I did a few more like the second video. Just need to practice more.
And I meant to say the mach 1 did a 12.9 best run. Not a 12.09 lol.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
My suggestion would be to NEVER race a car and to avoid any drag strip that would let you.

I understand why people like to rev the shit out of stuff to get good launches, but I find I'm MUCH more consistent and faster with lower rpm, like mentioned above about the ZX10.

When I launch my Buell, I hold it at 3,000rpm (nearly 50% of redline) and try to get the clutch to engage as quick as possible. Normally I'd tell someone to lower their air pressure to get more tire on the ground. But I'm not sure that's necessary on a Ninja 500.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Why shouldn't I race a car? Not disagreeing or challenging you, just want further explanation. And I see your point. It's just with a 500 you have to rev the shit out of it. Peak torque is at 8500 and peak power is at 9800 haha. I'll keep experimenting and practicing. 500 clutches are bullet proof so it's a good bike to learn on :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
My suggestion would be to NEVER race a car and to avoid any drag strip that would let you.

I understand why people like to rev the shit out of stuff to get good launches, but I find I'm MUCH more consistent and faster with lower rpm, like mentioned above about the ZX10.

When I launch my Buell, I hold it at 3,000rpm (nearly 50% of redline) and try to get the clutch to engage as quick as possible. Normally I'd tell someone to lower their air pressure to get more tire on the ground. But I'm not sure that's necessary on a Ninja 500.
Even if it's a divided strip? I've only been on open lanes, and obviously you can't race bike vs car.

That technique might work on a Buell because of the ridiculous torque it has, but the 500 is a bit "revvier" and it's probably a good idea to use more clutch slip to stay up in the powerband, IMO. I know if I had the clutch disengaged at 5k rpm (50%) I would feel the drop in power for a moment. I've done it.

Correct, rear wheel traction isn't an issue. I've never done burnouts to heat the tires and run standard pressure, but I've never had the rear wheel slip on a launch.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Why shouldn't I race a car? Not disagreeing or challenging you, just want further explanation. And I see your point. It's just with a 500 you have to rev the shit out of it. Peak torque is at 8500 and peak power is at 9800 haha. I'll keep experimenting and practicing. 500 clutches are bullet proof so it's a good bike to learn on :D
For safety reasons. Car crashing into a bike wouldn't be much fun.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Even if it's a divided strip? I've only been on open lanes, and obviously you can't race bike vs car.

That technique might work on a Buell because of the ridiculous torque it has, but the 500 is a bit "revvier" and it's probably a good idea to use more clutch slip to stay up in the powerband, IMO. I know if I had the clutch disengaged at 5k rpm (50%) I would feel the drop in power for a moment. I've done it.

Correct, rear wheel traction isn't an issue. I've never done burnouts to heat the tires and run standard pressure, but I've never had the rear wheel slip on a launch.
I start at 3,000 rpm. But it's pinned from the moment clutch starts to fly. For me, a non drag racer, it works better if the r's are always going up at the start. Believe me, my Buell doesn't make power at 3,000 rpm. It doesn't seem to come on the cam until 4,500 or so.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts