Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having troble(sp) keeping my head and eyes looking up and far enough down the road. what is everyones suggestions for helping me keep looking up. If i just need more pratice let me know. Thanks :lol :)

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Not looking ahead will get you in trouble fast. Just pratice and pick something in front of you to watch. It gets easer with time.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Larry Grodsky (?) in a recent Rider column (Staying Safe) was saying something about watching the point where the left and right side of your lane meet in your vision, and the dynamics of that point - how it moves closer and farther away from you, how the two sides open up and close back down, shift from one side to the other, etc. You can get information about what is coming up but currently out of view.

Anyway, if you took an interest in that point, that point is far down the road. If you made an effort to try and watch that point, it will keep your head up, and you'll be looking down the road and through the turn.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe Caringi said:
Larry Grodsky (?) in a recent Rider column (Staying Safe) was saying something about watching the point where the left and right side of your lane meet in your vision, and the dynamics of that point - how it moves closer and farther away from you, how the two sides open up and close back down, shift from one side to the other, etc. You can get information about what is coming up but currently out of view.

Anyway, if you took an interest in that point, that point is far down the road. If you made an effort to try and watch that point, it will keep your head up, and you'll be looking down the road and through the turn.

Ok but that sounds like if your on an open road. What about city riding where the end of the road is blocked by a car or something. I try to play the "what are all the ways that something could kill me" and that helps but i tend to look 4-5 feet ahead of the front tire and i catch myself and try to look up and play the game agian. Thanks for the help keep it coming. :)

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
liveforspeed said:
i catch myself and try to look up and play the game agian. Thanks for the help keep it coming. :)
You're not the only one. Its car driving that does that to you. Just try to keep your head up and mentally :bitchslap yourself when you lapse.

One thing i've found helps is to keep a decent gap in front of you. This is sometimes hard to do in Sydney traffic but you can do it if you're patient. If you have a decent gap you can scan better, whereas if you ride close up the tail of someone you have to keep your eyes on their brake lights and its hard to look ahead.

·
Registered
912 Posts
liveforspeed said:
Ok but that sounds like if your on an open road. What about city riding where the end of the road is blocked by a car or something. I try to play the "what are all the ways that something could kill me" and that helps but i tend to look 4-5 feet ahead of the front tire and i catch myself and try to look up and play the game agian. Thanks for the help keep it coming. :)
Even on open roads you will almost never see the point far enough ahead that the sides converge, but that's kindof the point. If you're always looking for it, your head will always be up. Even if there's a car in front of you try looking over/through/around the car to find the 'convergence point.'

If you think about it, you can see the convergence point on a curvy road and/or city streets easier than a strait road.

Another thing to try might be to pay attention to signage and signals. Try to spot every single sign or signal at least a block before you get to it when you're in the city. Do this in both your car and on the bike and I guarantee you'll be more alert in both.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jim schmidt said:
You'll die if you don't. (Did that help?)
:lao
Really? lol No I know that its important and i try to do it but i find myself not looking up sometimes. I am trying to do it and pay attention more, not that I am not paying attention but i want to do better and become a safer rider.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Well just remember what I told you! ;-)

But seriously, you will always go where you look. This is one reason why you keep your head and eyes up. If you stare at something you don't want to hit, you will hit it. If you go into a corner too hot, and stare at where you think you'll go off, you will go off. If you can look where you want to go and keep your wits about you, you'll go there.

Looking down also provides no useful information about hazards, conditions, and escape routes. It's really a symptom of riding anxiety and it's self-fulfilling.

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
Ever have someone slam on their brakes in front of you? Just think about what would happen if you weren't looking up when someone did this>

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im not saying that i dont keep eyes up most of the time but once in a while i forget that i need to be looking up and i was just looking for ways to keep looking up without getting "brain lockup", you know when you just are not concentrating fully like when you drive a car. Also I know that it dosent mean much but i really havent gotten in a close call (yet).

·
Registered
346 Posts
you ned to practice you peripheral vision skills. Then you can start looking way ahead without being worried about missing what's happening right around you.

Go read the section in twist of the wrist II about it.

'nuff said.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
jim schmidt said:
You'll die if you don't. (Did that help?)
:lol

that's exactly what i was going to post.

I look ahead to pick my line. You always have to pick a line on the street even when on a straightaway for things like roadkill, potholes, manholes, etc.

riding for me is a constant look and move sort of thing. if you are not doing this then i don't understand how you ride. i'm all over my lane most of the time (when i have to be) especially on wornout county roads.

as you go faster the farther you have to look ahead.

I've seen into tomorrow i've looked a head so far from going so fast. :lol :joke

·
Registered
791 Posts
Kaiser Soze said:
Its car driving that does that to you. Just try to keep your head up and mentally :bitchslap yourself when you lapse. .

Completely wrong.

How old are you Need4Speed?? I would be hesistant in riding the bike if I couldnt look up and still see 5 feet ahead of me.

I think you're thinking about it wrong. Say u look 5 feet ahead, you have ZERO reaction time should something pop out or STOP. When looking ahead you maintain good reaction time and can forsee ancidents before they accur.

When i ride bike or drive my car I look about 3-4 cars up, I probably look up as far as my sight allows. Look ahead and see the 4th car get on his brakes, the affect will probably dominoe back to the car infront of you and you'll have to brake to avoid the car in front of u. Are you in the city with pedestrains and parallel parked cars??... time to start watching the side walks and parked cars for the obvious. I normally see "5 feet ahead" fine when keeping my head & eyes up.

Practice man, practice, it would suck to get hit with Target Fixation and wreck. I've been there and done that, then learned from it.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
SnookayDCC said:
Completely wrong.

When i ride bike or drive my car I look about 3-4 cars up, I probably look up as far as my sight allows.
Mate, most people around here are flat out looking past their front bumper. We have the highest rear end crash rate in the country. True though, i cant speak for over there.

Im not saying its the way to do it, im saying its a trap lots of car drivers fall into when driving in traffic. Then when they move to a bike, where looking ahead is more important, it takes time to unlearn the old habits.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kaiser Soze said:
Mate, most people around here are flat out looking past their front bumper. We have the highest rear end crash rate in the country. True though, i cant speak for over there.

Im not saying its the way to do it, im saying its a trap lots of car drivers fall into when driving in traffic. Then when they move to a bike, where looking ahead is more important, it takes time to unlearn the old habits.
Thanks thats what i figured and i was just wondering if anyone had some magical trick that would make it so you never do it agian. Well i guess no one does so thanks for all the replies.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
^ youve been given good advice, and your asking the right questions so you're on your way. Thing is, ive only got a few years experience so i know exactly what you mean.

Your best bet now is to try and turn that advice into a riding style that will serve you well, and that takes time and practice. Good luck with it. :beer

·
Registered
791 Posts
liveforspeed said:
Thanks thats what i figured and i was just wondering if anyone had some magical trick that would make it so you never do it agian. Well i guess no one does so thanks for all the replies.

Its all mental. Keep thinking "look up or someone might kill me" After 2 days of riding with that mind set it might be subconsciously what you think everytime u get on a bike.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Something to add... when you're behind a car you don't want to be looking at their taillights... you just need to see if they get brighter out of your peripheral vision. Also, don't ride right behind cars unless you're pretty far back or you really know what you're doing. Stay off to one side so if they brake too fast for you to react you can just go to one side. Keeping to one side also allows you to see farther ahead and anticipate things, but again you have to be looking up!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts