Sport Bikes banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
needs another beer
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
officer 737 already made an article about this topic (he even has the same bike as me), but i'll post up my little project as well. i bought the shogun frame sliders, bar ends, swingarm spools and a pit bull rear stand. alright, here goes.
1st picture: my bike, finally outta the shop.
2nd pic: bolt that the frame slider will go on the right side of bike, no modification needed. just pull that one out and put frame slider and bolt in.
3rd pic: right side with slider on.
4th pic: another pic of right side with slider on.
5th pic: left side of my bike. as you can see, there is no exposed bolt to put the slider in. so, cuts have to be made to the fairing.
**(please don't reply to this thread until i am finished, there are about 20 pictures to load up, so around 4-5 pages, thanks guys)

Attachments

·
needs another beer
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
6th pic: left side of my bike, NAKED!
7th pic: bolt that will come out for the frame slider.
8th pic: laser level (with dot) to mark the spot on my fairing.
9th pic: red laser dot lined up in center of bolt.
10th pic: fairing back on. other people have mentioned using masking tape to keep the paint from chipping. it also makes it easier to see the red dot, which doesn't show up well on shiny black paint. now make a dot with a marker.

Attachments

·
needs another beer
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
11th pic: i just drilled the fairing out using a 1" bit (not really a drill bit, has the sharp point and sharp edges, i'm sure someone can help me out on it). then i just used a dremel tool to clean it up.
12th pic: there's basically the end product. not the cleanest hole ever (and i've seen some very nice holes, but that's a different discussion!:eek:nfloor ). it'll be covered by the slider anyways, so it doesn't have to be perfect.
13th pic: there's the end product for the right side.
14th pic: project done, took maybe an hour. easy as hell guys, i just wish i would have had them on before my wreck! so use me as an example. if you don't have sliders on your bike yet, do it! its easy and it can save you a lot of money.

Attachments

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Looks good bro :dblthumb

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
Good idea on that laser!

Lets hope you never have to test those sliders.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Did you use one of these for the hole?

if so, they're called wood boring bits, and you can get them at any hardware store. a 1" one usually runs between 3 and 5 bucks. :)

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
Dont use speedbore bits on hard brittle plastics. The best thing to use is a hole saw. But use the drill in reverse, it will "melt" the hole out, perfect circle with no burrs and very clean and smooth. Make sure you start drilling on the exterior or the plastic, and make a pilot hole first to ensure you will have the drill in the right spot and to help guide it in. This is the best way to cut holes for sliders.

Dremels are probably the worst thing to use to cut holes, you will never get a clean circle and you run the risk of slipping and seriously scratching up your bodywork.

·
needs another beer
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
killernoodle said:
Dont use speedbore bits on hard brittle plastics. The best thing to use is a hole saw. But use the drill in reverse, it will "melt" the hole out, perfect circle with no burrs and very clean and smooth. Make sure you start drilling on the exterior or the plastic, and make a pilot hole first to ensure you will have the drill in the right spot and to help guide it in. This is the best way to cut holes for sliders.

Dremels are probably the worst thing to use to cut holes, you will never get a clean circle and you run the risk of slipping and seriously scratching up your bodywork.
yeah man, like i said i just used the dremel to clean up a bit. there was some melting using the wood bore bit (thank you kevinwilly). however, it just broke off, then the dremel comes in to clean it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.