Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode to work today and was tailgated twice...first by a guy in a big car then by an old man in a pickup.

I wasn't racing or showing off. But I got very angry and pulled to the side to let them pass then went right behind them to tailgate them.

I know this is not safe and need to control my temper.

What do you do?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Question, Where you in the left (passing) lane and if you where, was there room for you to move over to let them pass????

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
MT Wallet said:
What do you do?

I am blessed with odd work hours so I never have to ride in rush hour traffic. I don't really have any problems with tailgaters... I'm usually WAY ahead of traffic! :grinbounc

·
Registered
863 Posts
On my old bike, I had a little compartment in the fairing that I kept paintballs that I'd chuck over my shoulder. Of course, I was also younger and more willing to start crap with people. Nowadays, if there's only one lane, I just start gradually slowing down until they either get ticked off and pass, or they get the hint and back off. I took a guy down to 15 in a 60 before he finally got the hint. I figure if he's going to hit me, I'd rather it be at a slower speed .. not to mention if he's in a big enough of a rush to keep up with me, it won't take much to get him to pass. :mad:

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
Letting them pass is all you can do. And you know that returning the favor is just going to get you killed.

I tap the brakes first. Sometimes people are just zoning behind me. I have also turned around and glared. That actually worked once. Sometimes just getting out of the way is your only safe choice.

I was cut off by a minivan once and tailgated him for a few miles. He got up to 80 mph to get away from me, turning down side streets to get lose me. On the harley with my long hair tucked into my jacket, he probably thought I was in some motorcycle gang. Although I still smile at his reaction, that was probably one of the dumbest things I have ever done.

Keep the temper in check and live to ride another day :)

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Caltrops. Look it up.

But seriously, i just get out of the way, be it on my bike or in my car, i just dont see any reason to fuck with people.... thinks always end up bad for somebody

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
flashing the brakes is a good idea. Some of us (I'm guilty of this too) will tailgate because we are zoned.

Of coursem some people just don't know that you aren't supposed to follow that close (my wife didn't until I told her the general rule).

What I do is slow down to more distance between myself and the car in front. That way, if they brake suddenly, I don't have to and can slow down gradually so the 'Professional Race Car driver' behind me doesn't run me over.

·
Registered
324 Posts
ZXRon said:
On my old bike, I had a little compartment in the fairing that I kept paintballs that I'd chuck over my shoulder. Of course, I was also younger and more willing to start crap with people. Nowadays, if there's only one lane, I just start gradually slowing down until they either get ticked off and pass, or they get the hint and back off. I took a guy down to 15 in a 60 before he finally got the hint. I figure if he's going to hit me, I'd rather it be at a slower speed .. not to mention if he's in a big enough of a rush to keep up with me, it won't take much to get him to pass. :mad:

Nik's TO DO LIST:

11. next time at wal-mart, buy some paintballs. :slaugh

·
Registered
153 Posts
i just look back at them if that dont work i just slow down a little and wave them down a little bit then they get the point usely and then i let them pass me

·
Registered
708 Posts
lemosley01 said:
flashing the brakes is a good idea. Some of us (I'm guilty of this too) will tailgate because we are zoned.

Of coursem some people just don't know that you aren't supposed to follow that close (my wife didn't until I told her the general rule).

What I do is slow down to more distance between myself and the car in front. That way, if they brake suddenly, I don't have to and can slow down gradually so the 'Professional Race Car driver' behind me doesn't run me over.

+1 on making room ahead. Around Chicago I think they teach tailgating in drivers ed...

·
Registered
50 Posts
ZXRon said:

People always say to use ball bearings, but paintballs would work quite nicely. :cool:

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
MSF says to pull over. I say evade. (Yes, I've said that before).

I was passing vehicles on the right in a multilane highway because those in front didn't take the hint and move over. I passed into the lane in front of some kids (second mistake) and they increased speed and tailgated me for about a few hundred yards at 80 mph indicated.

Dropped from sixth to fourth, checked my sides, signaled, and got the heck out of a situation that was an obvious safety risk.

^^^ Of course that's on my bike.

In a car, I'll slow down, flash the brakes. If they can't take the hint, I'll move over (or pull over). I'll do this in my bike, but to a lesser extent.

I have friends that carry marbles or pennies. Prob. not a good idea, since that will obviously escalate the situation quite quickly.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mj31 said:
Question, Where you in the left (passing) lane and if you where, was there room for you to move over to let them pass????
Yes there is room...not too much but I'd rather have them pass me then keep riding my tail.

I really need to get my temper under control or this bike will be sold.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the replies people... I also need to keep my ego in check too I think.

we are all just trying to get someplace.

sometimes people do zone..so I need to remember that.

Thank You :)

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
mother of god, people still use .bmps? For god sakes, even paint can turn it into jpgs and gifs!

If someone is really tailgating me on a 2 lane road and I feel unsafe, I'll drop a couple of gears and get about 1/4 mile ahead of them in a few seconds, then slow back down to speed. This is only on straightaways too, so I dont end up getting into a bad situation. If its a 2 lane road, the answer is obviously get in the other lane. If there is someone in front of me, I'll try to pass them to put them in between me and the lunatic. Being on a bike means that you dont have to put up with tailgaters and erratic drivers. Its best to remove yourself from the equation with horsepower :)

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like that gun and hp answer.

But I will also have to control my temper. Partly why I sold my last bike.

Sometimes I'd ride nutty and knew I would wreck one day. :(

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
if possible I'll move over and let them pass or I'll slow down some and motion for them to pass.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts