Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there is a Ninja 650r 2012 that has low miles, like 1200 miles and the dealer wants $6400, and probably with all the fees on top.

The KBB says the 2012 Ninja 650r are valued at around $5000 in good condition. So would good condition mean like low miles? Because I have a feeling if I said $5000 is the KBB price, they'll come back at me and say "it has low miles and is still in new condition". Like if their new condition is better than good condition according to KBB standards. So with the $5000 KBB in mind, should I start lower like $4-4.5k so that going up to $5000 seems like a better deal?

I have looked at reviews at the place and some people say the guy I talked to is difficult to deal with, but some people walked away getting a fair deal or the price they wanted to pay.

But I have enough to pay them cash if being able to pay it off right away is an incentive for them to give me a better deal. Well, I'm gonna go test ride it during lunch time. I know it will be hard to get a good deal, or even a fair deal, but will try my best to get it for KBB price.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Shop around, find a dealer to match this:

Kawasaki Ninja | eBay

2013 Kawasaki Ninja
NEW 2013 KAWASAKI NINJA 650R 650 SALE NO HIDDEN FEES EX650 EX OUT THE DOOR PRICE
US $5,998.00

You can get a New One for a better price!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a pretty good price, and new! But how do they ship a motorcycle on ebay? And I never paid $6000 for something on the internet, especially ebay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's a pretty good price, and new! But how do they ship a motorcycle on ebay? And I never paid $6000 for something on the internet, especially ebay.
Scroll down on the auction page and click on the shipping tab. If you are signed in, there will be shipping quotes from independent shippers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Scroll down on the auction page and click on the shipping tab. If you are signed in, there will be shipping quotes from independent shippers.
They also require you to go in person to the dealership in NC to sign the paperwork. Slight catch there.

There, I've contributed to a thread that will probably just end up a total mess anyways.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
So there is a Ninja 650r 2012 that has low miles, like 1200 miles and the dealer wants $6400, and probably with all the fees on top.

The KBB says the 2012 Ninja 650r are valued at around $5000 in good condition. So would good condition mean like low miles? Because I have a feeling if I said $5000 is the KBB price, they'll come back at me and say "it has low miles and is still in new condition". Like if their new condition is better than good condition according to KBB standards. So with the $5000 KBB in mind, should I start lower like $4-4.5k so that going up to $5000 seems like a better deal?

I have looked at reviews at the place and some people say the guy I talked to is difficult to deal with, but some people walked away getting a fair deal or the price they wanted to pay.

But I have enough to pay them cash if being able to pay it off right away is an incentive for them to give me a better deal. Well, I'm gonna go test ride it during lunch time. I know it will be hard to get a good deal, or even a fair deal, but will try my best to get it for KBB price.
I thought you were King Shit of Money Mountain, who cares what it costs? Go buy two new ones instead, yanno?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Cash is not a motivator as they often make more money on financing plans of sales than the sale itself. Negotiations will depend on price paid for the bike which you don't know. That's why some folks have easier or harder times haggling with the same salesman. Bottom line if you have a price out the door you want tell them and if they fuck around walk out. They will have your contact info. If you want to hardline a price it's easy to let them figure out if it's worth selling or not. As the buyer you have the leverage... until you decide this is THE bike and form an emotional attachment.

Since you need some hand holding on all these points though, just bring Dad.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Go to a local dealer and see if they will match the price (or at least get close).
I went to the dealer today. They said if I bring in prices from other dealerships matching the price I want to offer them ($5000 range), they will work with me to get my business. Right now, they want $6400 and then after tax+fees come out to $6800. It's a bit much since a new one MSRP at $7500 and I heard a guy bought his new for near MSRP.

·
Registered
729 Posts
They said if I bring in prices from other dealerships matching the price I want to offer them ($5000 range), they will work with me to get my business.
Don't play that game, and don't jerk around the other dealership. If dealer #2 offers you a better price, buy the bike from them.

(Then send dealer #1 a photo of the bike and a copy of the sales receipt with a note saying they could've had the sale if they'd offered a better price.)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Within a few Benjamins of new pricing?

Seriously?

Why not get a little older bike, you're gonna dump it one time (at least) anyway.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Did you look on craigslist? You could probably find some for $3500-5000. Mileage isn't as important as maintenance. Find a well cared for bike and just buy it. Cash talks on craigslist. It doesn't do as much for a dealer.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Cash actually does the opposite for a dealership.

I just bought a truck this month, and the cash was not welcome They were trying in every way to try to make me sign ANY kind of loan, even for half or less of the purchase price.

Dealerships get a good extra coin when they get you to sign a 18 or 26% loan.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Yep, when I bought my bike the lender refused to loan less than $6k. Then when I paid it off in a small fraction of the time they thought I would they immediately hit me up to get a credit card through them. My good finances cost them a lot of money.

If you have cash there's no reason to waste it at a dealer, they are almost always way overpriced, and definitely seem that way in this case.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cash actually does the opposite for a dealership.

I just bought a truck this month, and the cash was not welcome They were trying in every way to try to make me sign ANY kind of loan, even for half or less of the purchase price.

Dealerships get a good extra coin when they get you to sign a 18 or 26% loan.
Yeah seems true, the guy on the phone kept talking about how I should take out a loan because it will improve my credit score. But then you have to pay interest on it which doesn't really save money. I thought if you walk in with a bag of cash or had a cashier's check with the amount ready to go (at the price you want), they'd get excited and wanna get the sale over with since they will have money in the pocket.

I talked about craigslist to them, they say things can go wrong like guy didn't register or I may have to pay fines/fees if the previous owner didn't keep up with payments.

But I have $5-6 grand ready to just throw down and get it over with. But hopefully it'll be closer to $5 grand. Saved up for over a yr.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts