Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a '97 Bandit 1200. This was a nice upgrade from my previous bike, an '84 Kawa KZ700. I love the Bandit, and it is exactly the bike I wanted to buy for many reasons. It's great fun around town and has incredible acceleration at any speed, doesn't care what gear you're in, and is rather comfortable to ride. I'm intending on adding Helibars, a Corbin seat, and a Rifle windscreen as well as some bags as I intend on doing a lot of long-distance riding with this bike, as well as have it be my fun toy for around town.

Now, to the next point. As I understand it, this bike is supposed to get in the range of 38-42 mpg on the highway. I have reason to believe it will as I calculated today that it got 32.3 mpg on my city/highway cycle. Since I intend on doing a lot of long-distance highway cruising (and because I'm cheap) I'd like to get the best mileage I can out of this thing. So, I'm wondering what you guys would recommend for improving mileage. Ignition system? Certain type of air filter? I'm open to suggestions. I don't wish to spend all that much money on it, and I also don't wish to decrease power in improving mileage.

And yes, I'm aware if I really wanted better mileage I could've bought a smaller bike. I bought this one on purpose, I just want to get the most I can out of it. :)

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
A slip-on should lean it out (without over doing it) which should yield slightly better mileage. Also, go up a tooth on the front sprocket.

If you do slip-on/air filter, you'll have to rejet, thus making mileage even worse.

Also, be easy on the throttle and it should help out some as well. ;)

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
:welcome to SBN!

Not much you can do to really increase your mpg. It's all in your right wrist.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Yeah, it's all in your riding style. I get anywhere from a low of 40 to a high of 53mpg with my ZZR1200, all depending on my throttle behavior.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice and warm welcome! My 32.3 mpg was for around town. This includes some brief highway stints, but mostly stop and go, and yes a lot of using the right wrist. We'll see how this tank goes, I imagine it will get better. If I could get 50 mpg that would be great, but I seriously doubt that I can ever get that. Well, maybe on trips between here and Texas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
what kills the 1200 bandit is that it only has 5 gears, unless they changed it since 98. I tall 6th would be GREAT for that bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts