Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bent my key yesterday and now have only one good key to the bike.
Can I get it made anywhere or does it have to come from the dealer? and how much $$$$?

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
Replacement key can only be sourced from stealership. Not available elsewhere (my experience). However, any locksmith can then copy (i.e. grind) the key.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
In order you get a copy of the key, be prepared to show the title to prove that you own the bike, as well as know the key number.

Try calling your dealer. They should be able to tell you what you'll actually need.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Just go to a hardware store and have the good one copied. 2-5 bucks a copy tops. They can't do it to encoded key pods, but the FZ6 keys doesn't have an encoder so they can do it. Home Depot, Loews, Ace Hardware, Sears or any locksmith.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
segue00 said:
Just go to a hardware store and have the good one copied. 2-5 bucks a copy tops. They can't do it to encoded key pods, but the FZ6 keys doesn't have an encoder so they can do it. Home Depot, Loews, Ace Hardware, Sears or any locksmith.
They'd have to have the correct blank, which may not be possible.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Had mine done at Home Depot just in case I lose mine and they have a massive collection of blanks. They even have an exact duplicate but without the Yamaha encription.

If you want an OEM, then you have to go to the dealers and give them the number on the little key ID that came with the set... It's the little metal dog tag that was chained to the keys when you got it from the dealers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I looked for a key this weekend. No luck I tried Walmart, Lowes,Home Depot, and the Farm Store. Now it's off to the dealer, you were right 04Fizzer no blank no key. I did find them on eBay for $7 a blank, not a good sign of what the dealer may charge.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My local Home Depot told my neighbor if he could get a blank, they would cut the key. He bought the blanks online and went and had them cut for $2. I can't remember what the blanks cost for sure, but I'm thinking it was like $5

1 - 9 of 9 Posts