Sport Bikes banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I have an 03 600RR and I'm wanting some more low end punch. I've went to the strip last night and well my times weren't great, part of it was me but I also know it's geared pretty high. Just wonder how to gear it. can I just do like a -1 on the trans and leave the rear alone or what would be the best options.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
You can change you front and back sprokets down in the front up in the back. That is a cheep way to get low end power fast.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
dennisred69 said:
You can change you front and back sprokets down in the front up in the back. That is a cheep way to get low end power fast.
If you want some serious low end punch. Easiest change would be in the rear sprocket. Going +3 in the rear will be the near equivalent of -1 on the countershaft sprocket.

This is what my ZX6 runs at the strip (A & B Packages)
A = 15 / 50
B = 15 / 57 (Test package)

OEM final drive ratio was: 16 / 48

Have fun!

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
You have to remove the back wheel. Then take the bolts off the sproket. Put the new sporket on replace the bolts and put the wheel back on. The fron take the cover off remove the front sproket put the new one on and put the cover back on. I would say 45 min to an hour.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
evils-03-RR said:
my next question is how hard is it to change, is it something I could do in a matter of 30-45 minutes so that I can use stock on the street, then set up for strip? Thanks for the help.

The rear is easier and faster to change. You will have to adjust or even replace your chain with a longer linked chain.

This is what we take to the strip:
1. Rear wheel stand
2. Compliment of rears = 48T, 50T, 52T, 57T (Yours WILL vary in T counts)
3. Extra chain (Best if you have one for STREET and one for STRIP)
4. Have two complete rear wheels (One for STREET, one for STRIP)

This is involved. But we have been drag racing for years and have the set-up for what we do. If you are limited, you can take the info above and change them to suit your personal needs.

Hope This Helps!

Johnny
Racers Corner Moderator

·
Registered
725 Posts
Be ready for the extra pull, your front will come up real easy, this is the kind of thing the stunt guys do to make the front tire come up real easy. Throttle control will become more important in twisties to, rear slideout or front lift coming out of a corner is a scary thing.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
falco said:
Be ready for the extra pull, your front will come up real easy, this is the kind of thing the stunt guys do to make the front tire come up real easy. Throttle control will become more important in twisties to, rear slideout or front lift coming out of a corner is a scary thing.
This is a very good point I forgot to mention. Glad your looking out for outher riders. +1

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
dennisred69 said:
This is a very good point I forgot to mention. Glad your looking out for outher riders. +1
+2

evils asks many good questions. I imagine he is not done yet. This information I was saving for the next post. Thanks guys for giving the final touches.

Johnny
Racers Corner Moderator

P.S. evils, anyone for that matter. For specific drag racing or racing info. Come on into the Racers Corner.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
evils-03-RR said:
Thats why I only want to run a lower ratio @ the strip and not on the street.
evils +10 on your response :headbang

Thinking ahead will make you a very good racer. Knowing your limits and understanding the do's and don'ts are crucial!

Johnny
Racers Corner Moderator

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
evils-03-RR said:
Thanks johnny, I posted more questions in the racers corner, things I could do to be quicker. I'm not looking to run 150mph light to light :p
+1

No worries. You'll make a good racer with that attitude.

Johnny
Racers Corner Moderator

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Does your speedo work off your front wheel? If so the gear change wont affect it,.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts