Sport Bikes banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
how do i get ther little screws out if there stripped? i bought it used and i need to try to fix it but cant get out the screws and there to small for my extractor kit...mine only starts in neutral with clutch in or out...but not in gear with clutch...it sux when im at a light or smothing and i stall out and im struggling to find N...any advice? or maybe a jumper to connect to wires till i can fix it? if so witch onees need to be jumped?
I believe its the middle wire and the one closest to the clutch cable (when installed) but I will check to verify. no harm bypassing the switch...unless you are in gear and dont pull in the clutch and hit the starter, then you'll have a little jerk suprise

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good Job Farsscf!!!

My 2006 ZZR has left me dead at intersections twice, so I Googled "ZZR Clutch Switch" and up came your repair pictures. Perfect!! Now it's back to good-as-new. Good news: I didn't strip the Phillips screws. Bad news: one of them sheared right off so I'll see how long I get by with only one screw (and the little nub that fits in the hole) holding the switch on.

Kudos!

·
5,547 Posts
My 2006 ZZR has left me dead at intersections twice, so I Googled "ZZR Clutch Switch" and up came your repair pictures. Perfect!! Now it's back to good-as-new. Good news: I didn't strip the Phillips screws. Bad news: one of them sheared right off so I'll see how long I get by with only one screw (and the little nub that fits in the hole) holding the switch on.

Kudos!
All you had to do is put the bike in neutral and it will start. When the screw broke off was there any left that you could grab onto with a pair of vice grips and turn the remaining part of the screw out of the tapped hole? Suggestion, take the good screw to a hardware store a match it up with a metric stainless steel screw. Buy two and trash those soft screws.

·
Registered
24 Posts
All you had to do is put the bike in neutral and it will start. When the screw broke off was there any left that you could grab onto with a pair of vice grips and turn the remaining part of the screw out of the tapped hole? Suggestion, take the good screw to a hardware store a match it up with a metric stainless steel screw. Buy two and trash those soft screws.
Putting it in neutral is what I had to do to restart, takes a few seconds and is not the coolest way to recover from a stall.

The screw sheared even with the surface of the hole, so I'll have to drill and retap.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Glad to see this has helped some people!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for your write up, I recently got my ZZR and had the same problem (starts only clutch out and in neutral). I followed the directions here, but my problem persists. Is it probably a bad switch, or do I maybe need to replace my Neutral Safety Switch? Both? If so the cheapest I see is at Ron Ayers for $16 (clutch switch). Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks guys

41 - 48 of 48 Posts