Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty easy to do, I always thought it was a safety feature since mine would only start in neutral/clutch out when I got it.

Loosen these 2 allen bolts/ 5 mm

Rotate the assembly up and remove these two screws, yes I stripped one of mine. Unplug wiring harness

These tabs are holding it closed

This all that is on the inside

Clean the inside and lubricate it with graphite powder, on mine the contact with the arrow was slightly recessed so I bent it up to make contact

Reassemble in reverse order

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I figured while I was doing it I might as well take some pics. I plan to start doing it whenever I do work on the bike. I know it helps me to see pictures when trying to do something.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Lol i stripped and broke the same screw. what a cheap POS!!! Seems as though a little gunk gets built up in there and causes the connections to be crappy. All i did was wipe then down with a rag and plug it back in and problem solves. Simple things make me happy.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I am learning bolts and screws on motorcycles are more sensitve than cars, lol.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Perhaps this is worth a sticky? Seems to be a common problem and a simple fix.
What we need is a maintenance sub-forum for this and the carb shimming and suspension and...... That way we don't have to go through a page of stickies to get to the rest of the stuff in here. Maybe Rocket can work on that when he gets back from the Gap and that childish grin fades from his face.:lao

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That would be nice, our own how to sub forum?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem, I hope it helps some people.:)

·
5,547 Posts

·
37 Posts
Problem switch after changing clutch lever

Great post, great pictures !!!! I have changed to some carbon fibre look clutch/brake lever (from d2moto) and after changing the lever, it won't start unless I shift to neutral. The dealer told me that my lever is just little less thick and not making the contact. I think this post will help me a lot to investigate and fix it. Anybody have any input whether it can be done by bending the contacts or so ???
Thanks a lot guys in advance.

·
BOOYAM
545 Posts
my bike just did this today. Put the key to on, bike in neutral, pulled the clutch and fired the starter...nothing happened. Tried a few times, again, nothing happened. I figured it must have been that switch, so I pumped the clutch a few times and it started on the next try.

Well, now I know I gotta take that thing apart and clean it!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great post, great pictures !!!! I have changed to some carbon fibre look clutch/brake lever (from d2moto) and after changing the lever, it won't start unless I shift to neutral. The dealer told me that my lever is just little less thick and not making the contact. I think this post will help me a lot to investigate and fix it. Anybody have any input whether it can be done by bending the contacts or so ???
Thanks a lot guys in advance.
It may be that your new lever is actually thicker or just not allowing the rod to extend all the way out. Pull the clutch in and look under there to see if the rod is extending all the way out. You may need to just sand that rod down a little bit.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just got my zzr 4 days ago. Can someone please explain to me the reason for the repair? Like what went wrong? Just so if I end up needing to do it sometime down the road I will know what's the matter.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts