Sport Bikes banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Fargin_Bastige said:
If this board were solipsist, that would be true, but remember, not everyone shares thick skin.

Let's just play nice for a few.
Right. My point, though, was that -- by design -- one associates with people here who you'd never choose to associate with in the corporeal world. It simply comes with the territory. To make it work, a good attitude and a good sense of humor is required. :beer

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
jim schmidt said:
Right. My point, though, was that -- by design -- one associates with people here who you'd never choose to associate with in the corporeal world. It simply comes with the territory. To make it work, a good attitude and a good sense of humor is required. :beer
It's hard to determine what's a joke on the internet. Without the benefit of physical interaction, many comments can be misread.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just pointing out a reality of the internet.

·
Show them to me...
5,983 Posts
jim schmidt said:
I can see that the nuance is lost on you. So it goes...
Nope, just found it amusing, that's all.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Fargin_Bastige said:
It's hard to determine what's a joke on the internet. Without the benefit of physical interaction, many comments can be misread.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just pointing out a reality of the internet.
This is right too, and also true of email. The idea though is to have a good sense of humor on the receiving end.

I've been called so many names by so many dorks. These are obviously the people I'd never give the time of day in person. Usually, they're not that bright, so who cares if a slow thinker thinks you're an asshole? It's kinda funny really.

And sometimes you just sit there and wonder how some doofus convinced himself that he had a clue and that his "insight" was worth sharing. That's funny too.

One thing is for sure, if anyone's ego is fragile, it sure won't be fixed in a message forum. Luckily, I don't have that problem. :banana

·
Nurse Nymphette
7,289 Posts
Fargin_Bastige said:

That is so true. Although many people wouldn't agree, we don't just read/hear the words, in a normal face to face conversation we actually read body language.

I also think that some of the people who are quick to name call would probably think twice if they had to face the other person. It's much harder to be rude in person.

·
Ooh lawd!
8,466 Posts
Just my 2 piece - After reading all the other sections almost daily for the last few months... I ventured in here today. Being a conflicted libertarian, I found the other 3 or 4 topics on the top of the list fairly insightful into the minds of every facet of current issues. I kind of skipped over the name calling, didn't notice all that much of it.

Guess you perhaps notice it more if you're actively posting in the section?

41 - 47 of 47 Posts