Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently got my learners license and i am planning to undertake a Q ride course to get my restricted. I have two questions, the first one is how small a displacement can I get away with?

I'm around197 cm 103 kg and I'll be using the bike I get as a commuter around town rarely riding on highways. And I'd rather get experience on a 250 first.. something like a cbr500 will be the maximum displacement I'd care for. I've ridden motor scooters but know it like apples to oranges.

Second question is and I know it sounds silly, but I love in sunny saunaesque queensland australia. Could I get away with a matte black helmet without getting cooked?

Look forward to hearing from you all

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Around town anything will do, a 250 will be fine. It's lighter and easier to move around.

Black vs white helmets don't matter so much because there is basically an inch of Styrofoam insulation right inside the shell. Theoretically white would be best, but I've never noticed a difference. You *will* notice a difference in the color of your jacket.

KeS

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
you are about my hieght (197cm=~6'6"), you will be fine on a 250 of some sort or another.

i suggest a wr250r as it is the best fitting bike that i have ridden.

a ninja 250, or 500 is also ok.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
black helmet might make a diffrence if you are stuck in traffic with no air flow, but my brother never complained about his black helmet while riding around.

now black pants and jacket, those he did whine about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks guys, also how would the 250 hold up at speeds of 100 kph or around 60mph? Are they reasonably stable? I could get the scooter to ride comfortably at 100 (it admittedly was a fairly squid move of me)and I'm sure that was a smaller displacement than 250.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
It's not the displacement so much as the b***** wheels and geometry of the "real" motorcycle. It will be much more stable than a scooter, and should be comfortable up to speeds of at least 80mph (130kph). What bike are you considering?

KeS

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
have personaly seen a 2006 ninja 250 with over 30,000 miles(50,000 km) on it, and most of those miles were done on an interstate in Montana. (read long times spent droaning along at 75 mph (120km/h))

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not the displacement so much as the b***** wheels and geometry of the "real" motorcycle. It will be much more stable than a scooter, and should be comfortable up to speeds of at least 80mph (130kph). What bike are you considering?

KeS
I was thinking a ninja 250 or cbr 250 as they're fairly cheap and easy to resell when I get a full license. I would also like to pose for a while haha. Maybe a ninja 300 for a slightly wider rear tread. Any bike where I can learn good habits on a machine that's forgiving rather than baby a b***** bike and learn nothing hehe..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts