Sport Bikes banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
needs another beer
2,885 Posts
where's smitty? that guy's got some great stories, he's been riding forever.

·
Registered
657 Posts
rsm said:
I will soon be 40 years old. I have been riding a cruiser for about 5 years and I am wanting to get into sportbikes and eventually get on the track. I am in good shape, eat well and work-out regularly. Am I too old to be getting into this sport? My wife thinks i'm crazy.
Are you calling me old?!

:joke

Go for it man, you'll never turn back.

Bill

·
Engineering Pathologist
598 Posts
kun said:
my age is posted with my FZ6. nope your not to old, have fun! :bitchslap KUN
+1
Me too. Do it now.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Nah, but you would be hurting yourself to buy a yamaha r6 or a honda RR. My god I was hurting just sitting on it for 5 seconds.

I can name a couple race bikes as comfy as a couch, and be ok on your back. Il stop riding when I cant pick my cycle up anymore.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm 39, been riding sportbikes since 1991. I am just now starting to make plans to do my first trackday. I say go for it. your only as old as you feel.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
age is no more than a number, you say your in good shape and feel you can handle the cramped quarters of a sportbike, I say go for it! Im now 37 and wouldnt ride a cruiser at this point on my life.

·
Skid Mark
1,294 Posts
rsm said:
I will soon be 40 years old. I have been riding a cruiser for about 5 years and I am wanting to get into sportbikes and eventually get on the track. I am in good shape, eat well and work-out regularly. Am I too old to be getting into this sport? My wife thinks i'm crazy.
when you think you are too old, you ARE too old. sounds to me like you're not the one doubting your youthfulness...

s3aturnr

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Smitty is 75 and has been riding for almost 60yrs. He has 3 sportbikes.

I'm sure he'll chime in :cheers

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
We have a retired chaplain on our base that rides a Hayabusa. He has to be well into his 60s. You are only as old as you feel

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
40 too old, lord I hope not as I have lots more riding to do even after 35 years of doing it. They say you do not stop riding cause you get old but you get old because you stop riding.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
you're not too old, I say go for it.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
I'm too old to read through all this thread. Get out there and ride! Just ask Smitty, he's 76!

There's another guy on here (sorry can't remember his name, getting old) that's in his mid 60's. He was out on the track with me at Summit Point haulin' ass on his RC51.

I'm just getting started!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
mike99v6 said:
My grandfather just bought his first bikr the other day, he's 76. I know it;s not racing a sportbike but still.
You forgot to mention, He suffers from Alzheimer's.

J/K God bless your grandfather.

RSM- You're not even close to being too old. I just got back into bikes again when I hit 40, after not riding on the street for 19 years. There's a sport bike club around here that is just dedicated to track days. More guys in that club are near 40yo than 30yo.

·
You're a Daisy if ya do
8,534 Posts
Age is only a number. (yeah right.)
Ride Dude. Do a track day or two. Don't worry about the seating position on a sport bike. You may be sore after the first day or so, but eventually your muscles will adjust to that!!
I can tell you though. I've fallen off twice in the last year. Damn, I don't remember being that sore when I was in my 20's

Go for it, I ride with one guy in his late 50s with a ZX10R and he can smoke most of the kids!!

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
Not that it hasn't been said here, but you are never too old. I am just about to turn 40 and got my first sportbike last year. Absolutely love it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
ZxHunteR said:
Nah, but you would be hurting yourself to buy a yamaha r6 or a honda RR. My god I was hurting just sitting on it for 5 seconds.

I can name a couple race bikes as comfy as a couch, and be ok on your back. Il stop riding when I cant pick my cycle up anymore.
What bikes are you referring to.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts