Sport Bikes banner

How old is too old?

15K views 53 replies 47 participants last post by  poopdiq 
#1 ·
I will soon be 40 years old. I have been riding a cruiser for about 5 years and I am wanting to get into sportbikes and eventually get on the track. I am in good shape, eat well and work-out regularly. Am I too old to be getting into this sport? My wife thinks i'm crazy.

#2 ·
there is no such thing...

theres a guy on here or two that are in their sixties... so get on it, be careful and have fun!

#3 ·
dude, we got 60 plus yr old guys on this site riding some of the fastest production bikes ever built! so 40 is a drop in the bucket! it's all about having fun and being safe while doing it. so if you wanna do it, do it. you only live once.
if you can pick it up, ride it.

#5 ·
Go ahead and get a sport bike! I just got one last March I'm 58 and hadn't ridden for 30 years. Just take it easy and use common sense and you'll have a ball. Crazy me, I have been dealing on a 2006 Honda CBR1K. Haven't got one yet though.

Be safe on what ever you ride!!!
Joe

#8 ·
rsm said:
I will soon be 40 years old. I have been riding a cruiser for about 5 years and I am wanting to get into sportbikes and eventually get on the track. I am in good shape, eat well and work-out regularly. Am I too old to be getting into this sport? My wife thinks i'm crazy.
No way too old. Either you can do it or you can't. Depends on you.
I'm over 40; I have several friends in their 50's tearing it up a few in their 60's and yes, a couple in their 70's. Following them up a winding mountain road with their leathers and helmets on, you'd never guess their age. These guys are good and I think its sport riding that keeps them young inside.

If it's what you want, I only recommend you just start slow and develop your skills incrementally. Sport riding and cruiser riding is apples and oranges.

#9 ·
rsm said:
my age is posted with my FZ6. nope your not to old, have fun! :bitchslap KUN

#13 ·
Bought my ZZR1200 in 2003 when the arthritis in the hips prevented me from picking my legs up and getting to the foot controls on a cruiser. Finally got the hips replaced at 53 and have no plans on going back to cruisers. Bout a Ninja 250 last summer because the price was right. The wife (who also rides) and I figure we'll treat ourselves to custom leathers when we hit 60.

#22 ·
rsm said:
Are you calling me old?!

:joke

Go for it man, you'll never turn back.

Bill

#25 ·
I'm 39, been riding sportbikes since 1991. I am just now starting to make plans to do my first trackday. I say go for it. your only as old as you feel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.