Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pose this question to see what your opinions on what age drivers shouldnt be allowed to drive anymore...
In a thread started recently, an 88 year old driver pulled out in front of a bike, and killed the biker.. Recently, from a more personal experience, I saw a guy that looked older than Mr. Burns flip a U-turn on a 4 lane highway, without looking. Caused 5-6 cars to wreck, and he just kept driving.
Also, couple years ago in CO, an old man was driving 30 MPH in the fast lane of a 75 MPH highway, at night, with no lights.. He died instantly when he was rearended.
Above a certain age, their mental abilities just cannot handle the responsibilities of driving.. I say above 65, they should take a driving test every couple years to keep their license. We kept getting told that driving is a PRIVILEDGE, and they yank them from young drivers at the drop of a hat.... Why dont they ever take Senile old people's license?
What do you think?

·
Registered
58 Posts
+1 young ppl dont vote. and i agree evryone should be tested evry few years regardless of age. Would make our streets safer.

Relic

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Yup, everybody that references voting is correct. Young people don't vote. Older folks are all about it and obviously politicians are more likely to respond to older demographic wants/needs.

E.g. notice all the recent talk on social security reform. Doubt you'll hear much on higher education loan reform.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The fact is the system currently used in every state does not even come close to measuring a person's driving ability. A written test in no way measures a person's reaction time. A standardized simulator needs to be developed similiar to the one used by airlines to test their pilots. It should measure control, reaction abilities, collision avoidance abilities and vision. The test should be required at least every 4 years. If a person is able to pass this test at 90, then let them drive. If they fail at 60, yank their license. Although not realistic, your allowable speed limit (+/- posted) could even be determined by your score in the simulator.

However, this will never happen due the the AARP lobby and other political alliances. And yes, a lot of old politicians.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The test shouldn't have anything to do with age. I say test everybody every few years and make them PROVE they have the ability to drive.

Besides, I'm still more worried about a 16 year old in Mom's minivan.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
Ive always believed once you hit 65 you should physically have to take a drivers test, then re-test every few years thereafter.

·
Registered
273 Posts
blown1989saleen said:
Ive always believed once you hit 65 you should physically have to take a drivers test, then re-test every few years thereafter.
+1

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Bikerdude said:
The fact is the system currently used in every state does not even come close to measuring a person's driving ability. A written test in no way measures a person's reaction time. A standardized simulator needs to be developed similiar to the one used by airlines to test their pilots. It should measure control, reaction abilities, collision avoidance abilities and vision. The test should be required at least every 4 years. If a person is able to pass this test at 90, then let them drive. If they fail at 60, yank their license. Although not realistic, your allowable speed limit (+/- posted) could even be determined by your score in the simulator.

However, this will never happen due the the AARP lobby and other political alliances. And yes, a lot of old politicians.
+1 The lady in line in front of me passed her eye test (a while back) but didn't even know where she was or what she was doing. She had to be led there by her husband. She got her renewal. And I like the idea that everybody proves proficiency, say, every five years. That said, my grandmother-in-law is 91, sharp as a tack and pretty agile. She can still drive.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like the simulator idea. Maybe set up a road course with a maximum time cut off. If you can't do a lap in 60 seconds you're not allowed on the road.

My grandfather got his license renewed even after he was pretty much blind. It took him several tries. I think he memorised the eye chart.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
It's an especially touchy subject here in Socal, as even the simplest of lifestyles requires driving. Though it's stated as a privelege, it's viewed as part of our freedom. Taking that away from somebody, on top of the other realizations that come with the aging process is not an easy task. There are a lot of state budget issues involved as well.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
license2ill said:
There are a lot of state budget issues involved as well.
Like revenue from registrations, inspections, insurance?

Yeah, but safety is the name of the game here. Hopefully lawmakers agree that public safety has precedence over marginal revenue.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jim schmidt said:
That said, my grandmother-in-law is 91, sharp as a tack and pretty agile. She can still drive.

Funny, because I was thinking of my Grandpa when I started this thread.. He is 78, and he shouldnt be allowed to drive a golf cart...
Instead, he drives a GIANT Dually Suburban... I refuse to ride with him anymore.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Punkwood2k said:
Funny, because I was thinking of my Grandpa when I started this thread.. He is 78, and he shouldnt be allowed to drive a golf cart...
Instead, he drives a GIANT Dually Suburban... I refuse to ride with him anymore.
Well, I should also mention my sister's father in law who was killed while driving. Apparently, for some time, he'd been using his wife to read signs and tell him whether the lights were green or red. He was probably 75.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
jim schmidt said:
Apparently, for some time, he'd been using his wife to read signs and tell him whether the lights were green or red. He was probably 75.
That's pretty scary. At least he had that help. Imagine if he didn't?

·
I am very sensitive.
979 Posts
Old people do just like young people when their license is taken away, they drive without it. They feel like they are being violated because they have been driving for so long and they don't want to be a burden or dependant on anyone having to take them places. Also there are just families that don't want to have to take them places. There is no answer unless someone just takes the car away period.
Being here in FL, trust me, we see old people that should not be driving everyday, and in the winter months they double and triple on the roads. Q-tips everywhere in their big ole cars and trucks. Some scary shite!!!

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
I think there should be a mandatory 5yr renewal license for ages 16 to 65. Written and driving portion. After 65 it should be reduced to every 2yrs. Some states your license is good for 30 yrs :eek Here in hawaii it's only good for 6 then just retake the written. Hawaii has a HIGH number of older drivers with valid ID. I believe there is almost 200 people 90 and older with a valid drivers license and 30 that are 95 and older...something sounds wrong with that equation.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
I couldnt agree more about the re-test bi-yearly for those over 65. Here in FL its the "come here to die" state and we get all the blue hairs from you guy's states when they come down here for retirement. Its an epidemic with the old people here. They cant drive for shit!! Example....I was driving my Mustang and it was a bright sunny day, i began a pass of a slower vehicle. the vehicle i began to pass (knowingly or not) acclerated, i was mid pass with my foot sitting on 438 VERY un-naturally aspirated HP. The descision was to give a bit more to get the rest of the way around. I look and watch this old bag come to the stop sign of the 2 way intersection ahead...never stopped and rolled the stop sign directly into my lane head on!! Had i not forseen this and stuck the pedal into the floor me and my brother and 4 old people in a powder blue Crown Victoria would all more than likely be dead . The woman driving paniced and went onto the shoulder AFTER i went between her and the guy trying to race me. We went back primarily to yell at them and to see if they were ok. The woman said...and get a load of this. "why are you yelling, you ran a stop sign!!" I had to point out the fact that she didnt make ANY attempt to stop at the ONLY ran stop sign in this situation. I also had to point out that WE...well WE didnt HAVE a stop sign. But she "lived here for 35 years" she said as i responded "Well ya old bag pay attention to the road and worry about bingo less and maybe you'll live to see 70". I think i may have left about $70 worth of my Toyo's on the asphalt as we left her on the side of the road. God...when i turn 75....take away my license!!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Question is good. Still in so many cases m/cist should not be allowed to ride m/cs till around 20 yrs of age when you look at all the crazy riders. I guess to be safe they should not be allowed to drive a cage till the are more mature in age & mind. Possibly the same regarding "more mature in age & mind" fits well in the m/c world

I will be 75 yrs of age on the 15th which means legally I have been riding m/cs & driving cages for 59 yrs, tack on 42 years of competition riding & only reason I stopped was due to a bad home injury that screwed up my left hip. In that time I have never had an automotive accident in where I was in the wrong & said early accidents were when I was 16 to 18 yrs of age & never since.

Present three bikes a '97 Yamaha YZF600r, '00 Honda 929, & '03 Honda 954 I purchased in August of '04 & I am out riding around 4 days a week or even a bit more when weather is decent. No puttering around town for I ride the Mtn highway roads of my terrain.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts