Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im a college student and im going to purchase a bike within the next 3 months. I want to get a ninja 250 just for commuting to school. I dont really care about looks since the body style hasnt changed since this year but how old is to old.... wat year should i look to buy?

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
im a college student and im going to purchase a bike within the next 3 months. I want to get a ninja 250 just for commuting to school. I dont really care about looks since the body style hasnt changed since this year but how old is to old.... wat year should i look to buy?
Condition is way more important than age. Look for one that has been maintained, and that hasn't spent too much time sitting unused. I have heard that the 250 motor doesn't last forever, so you probably want one with under 30,000 miles on it. The year of the bike doesn't matter.

PhilB

·
ALL weather rider
207 Posts
My first bike was a ninja 250. it was a 1997. I bought it in 99 :) paid $500 for it with 1300 miles on it....Search CL and be patient...a good deal will come to you :)

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
if youre buying it to commute you probably still wont save any money. If you want it go for it, but it has been rehashed many times that owning a motorcycle will almost NEVER save you any $

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
if youre buying it to commute you probably still wont save any money. If you want it go for it, but it has been rehashed many times that owning a motorcycle will almost NEVER save you any $
:rolleyes It's been rehashed many times that sometimes it will and sometimes it won't, depending on a LOT of different factors.

PhilB

·
Registered
121 Posts
I bought 2x 1984 Kawa GPZ550s put about 400 into one of them, and ended up selling the two of them for a total of 2200 bucks.

One was a good daily rider, the other was a parts bike. Its all about what you have at your disposal and what you are willing to do.

BTW They both had less than 10k miles and one had a blown engine.. so its not about the miles as much as it is about the condition and how it was taken care of.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im pretty sure it is going to save me alot of money seeing as a drive a 04 lifted silverado and it cost me 120 to fill up and ive already gone through half a tank since monday hahaha.... i already found a good deal for like 1200 bucks but im not trying to mess with a salvaged title

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I just built an '89 EX250 for my better half and I'll bet you couldn't tell it from an '07 if you didn't know the little cosmetic changes they made over the years. The bikes are pretty much identical from the '87 to '07. They did mess with the wiring around '96 so you have to watch out if you need an ignition switch, or re-pin the connectors like I had to do.

It's got 18k on it and runs great. I think it was even raced at some point cause I found some safety-wiring.

I don't know why everyone is so afraid of salvaged titles. If you know your shit you can tell what's been done. Half the time they were theft recovered and just needed some plastics.

Don't worry about age, concentrate on condition.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im just worried about getting it insured and registered... i had a buddy with a 636 and a salave title and he couldnt get insurance so thats my only concern

·
Banned
19,161 Posts
im just worried about getting it insured and registered... i had a buddy with a 636 and a salave title and he couldnt get insurance so thats my only concern
First off it will save you money, second, you should have zero problem with insurnace on a 250cc bike.

Just relax and enjoy :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I guess ins. would be a valid concern about a salvaged title. Then really only if you're financing it.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Yeah, if you're NOT concerned about handling, condition is the best yardstick. Still, machines wear out simply standing still. So I would not consider anything older than ten years, and it better be in excellent condition. Meaning, ridden by a newbie that was half afraid of the stupid thing, if you know what I mean.

So a ten year old bike, barely ridden, would have perhaps 5k miles, or even less. I would consider one with 10k that was in excellent condition.

What you want is something to ride safely, and NOT put money into for repairs due to aging or ill treatment.

·
Banned
3,836 Posts
Despite what Hunter-Scout says, aging will not hurt a bike if it was taken care of before being put away. If it has been sitting for a few years, the tires will need to be changed, it will probably need a new battery, and oil. Other then that I wouldn't think twice about buying a bike that has been sitting around for a while. The last three bikes I have bought have been sitting around for over 20 years :p

I fail to see how a machine will wear out by simply standing still.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
I've been feeling old for three or four years now. ;-)

Really, old is purely conditional on how much you know about how motorcycles should operate and how much you know about fixing and maintaining them.

For example, my wife's starter bike was a '79. I'm a former bike mechanic so I could make sure it was running and handling as new and I could rebuild the carbs and forks.

But I'd never recommend that bike to a new rider. I suggest new riders buy a used bike that's less than ten years old, preferably less than five, with mileage under 20K. There are plenty to choose from at most all price points.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Old? Hell if I could get my hands on a 1986 Honda VF1000R, id hop on it quick. It is really a matter of how well they took care of the bike and parts availability.

Hey you can always be like Leno and just collect them and ride one.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Despite what Hunter-Scout says, aging will not hurt a bike if it was taken care of before being put away. If it has been sitting for a few years, the tires will need to be changed, it will probably need a new battery, and oil. Other then that I wouldn't think twice about buying a bike that has been sitting around for a while. The last three bikes I have bought have been sitting around for over 20 years :p

I fail to see how a machine will wear out by simply standing still.
I disagree with this. The more I deal with machinery of all kinds, the more convinced I am that disuse is far more damaging than use. Seals dry out, bearings rust and get flat spots, condensation in the cases causes all sorts of problems, gas becomes varnish, bugs and rodents might get into things, etc.

I'm not worried about buying old things, but I'd much rather buy something with high mileage that's been regularly used all its life than something that "ran when parked" 20 (or even 5) years ago.

PhilB

1 - 20 of 23 Posts