Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just over 26k miles on my FZ6. I have owned it since it had 15k on the odometer. I have not changed the chain or sprockets since I had the bike, I figure it is about time. How often do you guys change yours?

I am thinking of sticking with the stock rear sprocket and chain size, but I want to go to a 15t in the front. Where is a recommended site to order these parts from? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Do a search for the 15t conversion, there are threads all over the place on 'how to' and 'where to buy'.

As far as replacement, take a look at your service schedule.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Generally tend to agree with the maintenance manual for stuff like this, but with one exception. I change the chain when it's loose and the sprocket's worn out:) What I mean by 'loose' is with the chain set at the proper tension, if you can pull it away from the rear sprocket more than about 1/8 inch or so, it's time to replace. Sprockets wear quickly with a bad chain too, but it's harder to tell if their time is up though. Teeth could all be warn uniformly which makes it hard to know when it's time. I usually go 2 chains to 1 sprocket set, but that's just me, you might have a different experience. Some folks replace everything as a set, which I can't argue with. A visit to your local junkyard should reveal what a warn out sprocket looks like - just replace yours before it looks that bad :)

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
you can measure the 10 link length to determine how much the chain has stretched...the spec and everything else you need to know is in the manual.

a 15T can be found everywhere...don't pay more than $30 shipped.

·
Drunken Philosopher
947 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
I just changed out the stock chain/sprockets last week.....got 35k out of them. The sprockets were actually in pretty good shape still. The chain was still not stretched beond spec. but it was starting to make noise and get some stiff spots. It's had a couple track days and countless passes down the drag strip....I think I got my moneys worth out of them. I replaced with stock sprockets and a RK RX-Ring chain.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Chain replacment?

I'm changing mine on Monday or Tuesday. Have 33,000+ miles, on the original chain and rear sprocket. But I'm installing new tires and the front sprocket +1 (17T, after market) is worn at this point so, I'm going back to stock. I plan to re-install the original front sprocket as it was used for only the first 6,000 miles and shows to have very little wear. Rear sprocket is OK, but also worn, replacing it. Chain might last another 5,000 miles, but replacing it too, just want to get everything up to par at the same time.

As for replacement chains I'm curious as to who has gone stock or after market, but more importantly. Taken the route of removing the swing arm, or using a master link, or a clip? Do it yourself, or shop?:popcorn

·
Asphalt Magnet
1,079 Posts
Around 30,000-35,000 seems to be the norm if the chain is well taken care of. I managed about 34,000 out of the factory chain. I got about 8,000 out of the Vortex aluminum sprocket. I'm sticking to steel from now on.

I replaced my chain with a factory. Removing the swing are is no problem. Gices you a chance to check everything out while it is apart.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks Gosling

It didn't look to be to hard to do. 3-4 hrs tops. But a fellow rider felt that it would be easier to do the link thing. Also, he figures the frame might be harder to pull back together after disassemble.

I would prefer to have the stronger chain connection, of a factory made connection myself. I would hate to lose a clip, or slip a master link on a long ride. The stock reliability factor is insurance against being in the middle of nowhere needing to get home.

·
Registered
360 Posts
That was established formaldehhyde. But you were right on top of that detail from the start!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts