Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Low side in the van. :)

Note to self: NEVER use a U-Haul truck's interior rails for tiedowns. DUH!

Oh well, luckily just a little scuff on the right seat cowl. Track day was otherwise a BLAST. I met bulldogr6 (a real kneedragger in the fast "blue" group) and lots of other friendly and encouraging folks. Just managed to burn off my strips and got well acquainted with my riding limits -- which are entirely fear-based. I didn't come close to leaning it as far as it can and the few times I did scrape the peg feelers it gave me quite a startle (the pegs kicked up rather abruptly).

There were about 5 or 6 crashes but nothing serious, everyone walked back OK. One red flag was for a turtle on the track! I met a long-time dirt rider/racer, a very friendly guy who brought his FZ-1. This was his second track day and he was easily lapping me. His day unfortunately ended with a crash in one of the trickier turns right after he passed me. He got off low and easy but then his bike highsided and bent the forks. He'd seen much worse in his career though.

There were 3-4 women riders there, which was pretty cool. Is there some unwritten rule about tape on women rider's bikes? It's always fluourescent pink...

I felt like a real wimp at the beginning of the day but by the end I was managing to hit the line pretty well in most of the turns, passing a few other riders and getting passed less. It really takes time to learn the track, can't be done in one day. And learning everything else about riding well on the track takes years.

At the end my body felt like I'd had a long day of hard downhill skiing, or run a half-marathon. My legs are still a little sore today. But the bike and I came back in one piece so I'm happy. The event was very well run and managed and I highly recommend it to anyone in New England looking for a fun way to explore their riding limits (Tony's Track Days ).

Attachments

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
damn that first pic doesnt even look right.. i would have kicked myself in the a$$

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to see the bike on it's side. I wonder how much of that is attributable to an alum floor and no wheel chock.

FYI those side plastics are rather inexpensive. I found out trying to release tie-downs, solo, on my trailer at the track...

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get_1 said:
damn that first pic doesnt even look right.. i would have kicked myself in the a$$
Looks a lot worse that it really was but yeah I was thrown off tilt when I rolled up the back door and saw it.

mrfun said:
I wonder how much of that is attributable to an alum floor and no wheel chock.
Yeah that floor is slippery but I actually had 4 tiedowns and the front wheel was nice and snug to the front wall. The wimpy rails had weak mounts that just ripped off the side walls. I have to remount them this afternoon. Next time I'll be renting a regular trailer and something with a hitch. Live and learn!

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Oh noooo--- Your poor baby.:bitchslap It's great you got to do the tracks. We've been getting nice weather and nothing like a good day at the tracks.

J/K.. Hey you know you only passed the girls, right? :lao

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
segue00 said:
J/K.. Hey you know you only passed the girls, right? :lao
OUCH don't make me admit it! :eek:nfloor There was only 1 woman in our group so I had to be passing some other men riders.

In particular there was a 1100cc Beemer that dusted me on the straights -- but not on the turns. :) Also a Triumph, same story. But their riders were really well behaved about it. When they knew I was on their tail they held back on the next straight to let me by.

But all the passing really doesn't matter. You have to put your ego away. Right away as I started getting a feel for things that urge to "catch up" to the rider ahead started to kick in and I had to remind myself to ditch it. It's so easy to ride beyond your limits that way.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nig said:
A garage and computers?? Sweeeeeeeet setup over there.
Those were part of the track day photographer's setup. He'd download pics throughout the day for you to see, and you could look them over on the computer and decide which ones to order ($20 a pop). He even caught some folks mowing the grass.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I'd love to do a track day, but there's a couple, well hundred, things keeping me from doing it...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Money for both gear and the fees involved. That and I'm chicken shit. lol

Looks like an absolute blast though!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
04Fizzer said:
I'd love to do a track day, but there's a couple, well hundred, things keeping me from doing it...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Money for both gear and the fees involved.
The fear thing is easy to overcome -- there's NO pressure to go fast. You start in the red group and the only thing they insist on is that you study the line and learn to stay on the line. You can keep it nice and slow and no one cares.

You start the day with a short class where they get you acquainted with the track layout and riding rules. Then for the first ride out you do a "follow the leader" ride where they go 40 mph max and you follow the instructor as a group, with a rotation so each rider has a turn behind the instructor on each lap. You can do as many of these as you want anytime during the day.

Money wise it's

$225 track day fee
$60 hotel room in Loudon
$30 trailer rental
$3 blue painter's tape for your lights
$2 pipe clamp for your oil filter
============================
$320, plus gas & meals

They provide a really nice barbecue lunch, and all the water/gatorade you can drink all day. Seems reasonable compared to how much an average person spends on an overnight stay while entertaining themselves for a day in Orlando FL.

You do need motorcycle specific gear but usually that just means pants -- you've probably got the jacket/boots/gloves/helmet already. They prefer leather but a textile jacket is OK so long as you have armor. Same for pants. I rode with $99 textile pants with knee and hip armor and no kneesliders. Unless you've been riding for years you probably won't drag your knee on day one.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Looks like so much fun. I'm hoping to go in September, need to make sure my finds are available. A friend bought a full AGV suit on eBay and it was too big, so I may buy it from him for what he's put into it.

·
Sperm bank loan officer
375 Posts
sweet

The damage is so slight if he did not tell ya, you would not notice it.

It was nice to meet somebody from this board and to hear that you had fun. Riding the track is a great learning experience and tons of fun only side affect is it's addicting and costs you a lot of money, but that's ok in my book.

Tony's trackdays run pretty smooth but that was one of the best so far this year. The weather was perfect,very few flags (a turtle that was a first lol) Over all a great day. Are you going to be at the Aug date? Of course i'll be there.

As for the woman riders, Tony typically has a hand full of them. Sometimes to encourage it he offers day's for $50 entry. In your pic standing backwards on left is Jaynnus from ODFU & NESR she is a sweety. All the way on right is DEB of http://www.slideruleracing.com . She rides for BMC Ducati and is damn fast.

·
Sperm bank loan officer
375 Posts
The damage to his bike was so slight if he does not tell ya you would not notice.

It was cool to meet sombody from this board and to hear you had fun. Riding the track a great learning experance but addticing but that ok with me.

Will you be attending the Aug Tony's date? As always I'll will be there.

Tony encourages women riders to try by somethimes offering $50 entry so typicaly there is a hand full. In your pic on the left facing away is Jaynus from ODFU & NESR she is a sweety. Far right is Deb of Sliderule racing . She rides for BCM Ducati and is damn fast.

See ya

Jer

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Kneedragger:

Sorry about the slide in the truck. I also made a mental note to self in reading this.

I had my first track day yesterday. I too scraped my peg feelers alot, but never my pucks.

Curious: have you yet scraped your knee pucks without your peg feelers also scraping? (That's my goal.)

·
Registered
77 Posts
That does look awesome and it's not that far from me.... Wish I wasn't a chicken to go try it :cry . Maybe in October?????????/

Robb

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi bulldogr6! Glad to hear from you. It's possible you will see me again in August. Wifey has sooo many things she needs to be away for next month that the laws of reciprocity may grant another track day. We'll see.

skeleton said:
Curious: have you yet scraped your knee pucks without your peg feelers also scraping?
I wouldn't know, I don't have pucks (yet). But as bulldogr6 pointed out to me at the track, you can just unscrew the feelers off with a wrench. Should be easy to make your goal then. :)

fz6java said:
Wish I wasn't a chicken to go try it
So come to the track day without signing up. You can volunteer to be a "cornerworker", in which case you get to see the action close up AND get a discount on a future track day. They always need volunteers and they'll give you a short training class and you're good to go. You do stay planted in the same corner for hours (with some breaks) and you must be physically able to help move a downed bike (with the help of other cornerworkers in your corner).

Cornerworking or not, any way you can get to the track for track day or a race is good. It'll remove the unfamiliarity and enable you to overcome those fears. You'll realize right away that being on the track is WAY more fun that watching from the other side of the chain link fence or the tire walls. Go for it!

·
Registered
898 Posts
How inexpensive are the side plastics? I layed mine down today and cracked the silver portion of the fairing near where the turn signal attaches and scaped up the front fender?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
ChesterMaddox said:
How inexpensive are the side plastics? I layed mine down today and cracked the silver portion of the fairing near where the turn signal attaches and scaped up the front fender?
Check out ronayers.com

·
Registered
898 Posts
I looked at ronayers.com but they only have for the 04 isn't the silver a different color betweern the 04 and 05

·
Registered
77 Posts
So come to the track day without signing up. You can volunteer to be a "cornerworker", in which case you get to see the action close up AND get a discount on a future track day. They always need volunteers and they'll give you a short training class and you're good to go. You do stay planted in the same corner for hours (with some breaks) and you must be physically able to help move a downed bike (with the help of other cornerworkers in your corner).
Sounds like that might be an option!! I'll have to see what the next 2 dates look like for me :cheers .

Robb

1 - 20 of 37 Posts