Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at getting a ZZR600 in the near future and am wanting to prepare myself before i get it. I have a 500r right now and the carbs are no big deal at all, just takes a couple mins to warm up... by the time i put on my helmet and gloves it is ready to go.

If I get some aftermarket exhaust will it need to be rejetted, and if so how hard is this to do by yourself?
Anything else i am going to have to prepare myself for with the carbs? TIA

·
Pro Bike Theft Victim
1,088 Posts
You only have to get it re-jetted if its a full system ,,,Its a personal pref. I have a carb bike and a injected bike, I like them both ..the carb bike does not take that much longer(to heat up)

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
If your carbed bike is cold beware of stalling.

My bike stalled while I was leaving work and I was at an odd angle and going downhilll slightly so I dropped it.

:(

·
Registered
809 Posts
even though I will probably be going to a FI bike soon, I kinda like the feel of a carbed bike.

The bike I ride the 3rd most after my superhawk and ninja 250 is my buddy's 05 triumph sprint st. It has stock exhaust, fuel injection, and is super smooth and flat. It makes slightly more power than my VTR but feels alot slower because everything is so smooth. There's something satisfying about a big nasty grumbling carbed v-twin.

·
Registered
586 Posts
My biggest compliant about carbs is if you ever need to rejet them. I'm cheap and inexperienced, so after trying to rejet my bike by following the suggestions in the jet kit, the bike still ran a little rich and had a flat spot. I wasn't about to pull the carbs off again to change a little setting, putting them back on, retesting it, then if it still isn't fixed, taking them back off. THere is a system to it, but to me, it is more of a guess and check type system. I have never had a FI bike, but have ridden them, and they just seem so much smoother and getting a power commmander that can plug into your labtop seems so much easier to me.

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you want the new ZZR, look into getting a used 00-02 Zx-6R, it's the same bike. You can save a little cash by not getting one brand new. I got my 02 with 2900 miles on it for $5k, $2k less than a new ZZR.

As far as the carb vs FI, I would recommend a FI bike. Not only is it easier to tune, you can do it with a computer, but it's more advanced than a carb. I haven't had any trouble with my carb's, but I also won't be rejetting it either. I'm not spending any money modding this bike simply because I know I'm going to get something different in the next year or so. But as far as tuning and modding, a FI bike is much more newbie friendly than a carb. Plus you don't have to tank a bunch of shit off just to change the jets and crap like that.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
Camride said:
As far as the carb vs FI, I would recommend a FI bike. Not only is it easier to tune, you can do it with a computer, but it's more advanced than a carb. I haven't had any trouble with my carb's, but I also won't be rejetting it either. I'm not spending any money modding this bike simply because I know I'm going to get something different in the next year or so. But as far as tuning and modding, a FI bike is much more newbie friendly than a carb. Plus you don't have to tank a bunch of shit off just to change the jets and crap like that.
I tend to think it's the opposite - tuning via remapping can be very tricky, there are electonic components to fail (harder to diagnose/fix than carbs) and FI is not necassarily newbie friendly. Some of them have snatchy throttle response or more abrupt responses.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If its anything like a car then just because you can use a programmer doesnt mean that it is easier. Actually with that computer you can do too much too easy and really screw up all kinds of stuff on the car... line pressure, rev limiter, timing.. etc.

I learned one morning to not drive the bike with the choke on, once it starts going she dont wanna stop!! Just a flip of the choke and it fixed the problem but i almost low sided the bike on some loose gravel coming out of my driveway.

I would consider getting a used ZX6R, but i want a warranty and also I want the assurance that no dipshit squid has had it before me. Also I like Kawasaki's financing on new bikes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personally, I prefer carbs, but I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to bikes. Carbs are simple, with no funky electronic stuff to fail, especially when exposed to weather. Even on my Duc, with Keihin FCRs with no choke, it's not excessively hard to start in cold weather, you just have to develop a bit of a techinique to it.

Tuning carbs, especially if you don't have access to a dyno, is an art, but it's nothing that a reasonably skilled home mechanic can't learn if you just have patience and take your time. The only way you can really screw up carbs is if you're totally hamfisted. Jet kits are simple to install, the instructions are pretty good, just budget a full day to do it your first time because you probably will have to pull the carbs off a couple of times to get spot on.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I am also on the list of those that like carbs better. I know my way around them they are very easy to work with and you always know whats going to happen when you wack the throtle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts