Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so you guys all know that I'm a newb..slowly learning though. :D Just last week I found out what "Carbs" were. ahah well, i found a '91 kawa ZXr6 for $800. but it says it needs the carbs to be clean and a new chain. So how much work and repair does tha actually mean? It that something severe or something that can easily be fixed? Its listed as whole OR part out.... so im just wondeirng. Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
If It just needs the carbs to be cleaned and a new chain, this is something you can prolly do yourself. HOWEVER. . . (you knew this was coming) chances are, if the bike doesnt start, there might be something else wrong that you dont know about. See what you can work out with the seller to protect yourself from getting a bike that is more problems than it's worth.

Oh, BTW. . .glad to see you now know that Carbs are not the simple sugars found in breads and pastas. :)

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
H2Omax1 said:
If It just needs the carbs to be cleaned and a new chain, this is something you can prolly do yourself. HOWEVER. . . (you knew this was coming) chances are, if the bike doesnt start, there might be something else wrong that you dont know about. See what you can work out with the seller to protect yourself from getting a bike that is more problems than it's worth.

Oh, BTW. . .glad to see you now know that Carbs are not the simple sugars found in breads and pastas. :)
^ heh yeah at first when people used the word "carbs" I thought they were talking about the carbs.. as in something to do with emissions and passing the smog test. But i found out they're like 4 things, kind of like the cylinders on the car right? Correct me if I'm wrong. :D I tend to be wrong a lot. :rolleyes

Okay well, thanks for the advice. Still want to know how much a new chain and carb cleaning would cost. Also, how exactly would you CLEAN carbs? Would you open up the bike and then clean it out with a cloth and then close it up or something? Id rather have the mechanic take a look if it has anything to do with disassembling the bike. Also, do you have any suggestions on how I can guarentee that only the chains and the carbs are the things needed? Thanks

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
Make sure the bike starts. Even with crummy carbs it should, and if it doesn't, I highly doubt you just need to "clean" it. Just make sure it runs. Even if it smokes a bit that's fine.

If it doesn't run, then it doesn't really matter what the owner says, it would probably be too much hassle than its worth.

·
Registered
361 Posts
okay,

short lesson on how a motor works

4 stroke means there are four cycles to a motor. Intake compression power exhaust

in order for a motor to work you need three things, fuel, air, and spark. once you have three things, your motor needs the ability to seal these in a chamber so that the piston can compress the air/fuel mixture and then the spark plug fires off a spark which ignites (explosion) the air/fuel mixture, taking that piston and sending it in a downward direction (before it was moving up to compress the air/fuel mixture)

carbs or carburetors are the mechanical system that gets that air and fuel from it's respective sources combines them and puts them into your motor. (don't worry how it works, just be grateful that it does) if your carb is dirty then it isn't able to put in the correct amount of fuel (either to much or to little) knocking that air/fuel mixture out of balence, cleaning them will help to restore that balence

I am sorry if this is to technical maybe this will help http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

·
Registered
243 Posts
It depends on how bad they are. If they're just gummed up from one winter, it may not be bad. I had a pair of jetskis that sat for about a year and got pretty gummed up. I just took off the air filter and sprayed carb cleaner (yep, yuou can get it at wal-mart) straight into the carbs (hosed it down really good) then just started turning it over. In a few minutes, the skis rumbled to life. Once they were running for a while, they kinda just cleaned up and ran fine (until the air cleaner came off while I was riding and a bolt went into the intake, but that's another story)

As far as the chain, I've never done one, but I imagine it's taking off the rear wheel and linking up. There's probably more to it than that, but I imagine you can find a how to on the internet, also, check out a service manual at your local shop. Those are a lot more useful than some guy on the internet (me) who only half knows what he's talking about.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
clearwaterms said:
okay,

short lesson on how a motor works

4 stroke means there are four cycles to a motor. Intake compression power exhaust

in order for a motor to work you need three things, fuel, air, and spark. once you have three things, your motor needs the ability to seal these in a chamber so that the piston can compress the air/fuel mixture and then the spark plug fires off a spark which ignites (explosion) the air/fuel mixture, taking that piston and sending it in a downward direction (before it was moving up to compress the air/fuel mixture)

carbs or carburetors are the mechanical system that gets that air and fuel from it's respective sources combines them and puts them into your motor. (don't worry how it works, just be grateful that it does) if your carb is dirty then it isn't able to put in the correct amount of fuel (either to much or to little) knocking that air/fuel mixture out of balence, cleaning them will help to restore that balence

I am sorry if this is to technical maybe this will help http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm
actually i understood that. I knew that because I'm familiar with the way cars work. Although newer vehicles are now fuel injected. But anyway, so you're saying that if it does not start AT ALL, (like the previous guy has posted) then it is more than a hassle cause the problem is probably more than carbs right? Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
A bike that old is typically not going to be worth the hassel to someone that cant fix things themselves.

Old bikes generally have lots of little problems and someone that wants to learn to fix things or already knows how might be ok with it, but little problems might be big problems to someone who just wants to ride.

Paying to have a bike fixed isnt cheap.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ got it. thanks, i just found out the bike is currently disassembled so I dont really want to risk it. If it was running at least, I would go ahead and check it out though.Thanks for the advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts