Sport Bikes banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked my chain and I can move it up an inch. Is that bad? Does anyone know how much slack it suppose to be in the chain? If the bike differs, I have a 2000 GSXR 600. thx for any help

·
Banned
912 Posts
Most bikes should have no more then 1 inch of movement while you are sitting on it! So if you push up on the chain and it goes up 1 inch then it will go down 1 inch also making your total movement 2 inches. This is bad!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Agreed, the chain should move 1/2 inch from the center line of chain travel. Moving a total of 1 inch...your's moving 2 inches is bad and you really need to adjust your tension. Make sure you get the alignment spot on (measure it out) when adjusting or you'll introduce other problems.

·
Banned
912 Posts
you need to get a friend to move the chain while you sit on it!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I try to keep about 30 to 35 mm's of slack in the chain without me on the bike. Chain is going 6000 miles without needing an adjustment so I think I'm doing something right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.