Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked my chain and I can move it up an inch. Is that bad? Does anyone know how much slack it suppose to be in the chain? If the bike differs, I have a 2000 GSXR 600. thx for any help

·
Banned
912 Posts
Most bikes should have no more then 1 inch of movement while you are sitting on it! So if you push up on the chain and it goes up 1 inch then it will go down 1 inch also making your total movement 2 inches. This is bad!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the bike on its kickstand (without me on it), I can move it down 1/4 an inch and move it up an inch.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Agreed, the chain should move 1/2 inch from the center line of chain travel. Moving a total of 1 inch...your's moving 2 inches is bad and you really need to adjust your tension. Make sure you get the alignment spot on (measure it out) when adjusting or you'll introduce other problems.

·
Banned
912 Posts
you need to get a friend to move the chain while you sit on it!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
marsolais said:
you need to get a friend to move the chain while you sit on it!

Alright, I'll do it later today... The place where you check the slack is right in the middle of the chain right?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I try to keep about 30 to 35 mm's of slack in the chain without me on the bike. Chain is going 6000 miles without needing an adjustment so I think I'm doing something right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts