Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, just picked up a Superhawk the other day that has been down (looks like at least twice). Body panels have been repaired, and I'm hoping to get some paint on it before the riding season starts, which could be a while up here in the UP of Michigan. My last bike I used duplicolor for the base and spraymax 2k for the clear. Turned out great I think. This time, I am going to use a paint gun and do it right though. I haven't quite decided on a color yet, but I'm thinking Tangelo Pearl by House of Kolor or something similar. I think it would look awesome with a few of the black Honda graphics. Has anyone painted their own bike this way, and how much paint should I be getting? I was thinking:
1/2 qt Tangelo Base Pearl
1 qt Clear
1 qt reducer
1/2 qt catalyst

I have to make sure I have the right reducers and such, but mostly I'm looking for advice on the clear and base. I don't want to end up with not enough. 1/2 qt base will make 1qt sprayable, which I think should be more than enough. And a quart of clear should be good for at least 3 coats I think?

Thanks guys!

This is how my last bike turned out with duplicolor under Spraymax:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I did read through that thread. It said about a quart, but I wasn't sure if it meant a quart of sprayable, or a quart premixed. I've heard about 2 quarts sprayable is enough for a car, but wanted to verify that one quart sprayable will be enough for a Superhawk. House of Kolor probably sprays better than cheaper stuff as well.
Ill fix the picture in a few minutes.

EDIT: Got the picture showing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As an update, I talked to the local paint store, and they sell PPG. I talked to the guy there, and he recommended 1/2 pint of base for just painting the fairings and tank. Reduces down to 1 pint sprayable. To do an orange pearl tri coat, would be about $300 from them to get all the clear and reducers needed.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
1/2 pint if you know what you're doing. there's no way you're going to get that to cover all that. I barely got a tailgate on my truck painted with 1 pint and it is a 1:1 mix ratio with reducer. which ends up being a quart of paint. 3 coats and it was gone. those pearls and candies are very transparent so they need a lot more coats to hide.
there's no way 2 quarts if enough for a car. of course a lot of it depends on the color used. I used an entire quart on my bike because it's a pearl metallic. so it's pretty thin and takes a lot to cover.

oh and get a 1/2 gallon of acetone to clean the parts and your gun. works so much better than anything I've tried so far.
good luck.

·
Site Sponsor
1,639 Posts
First off, if you are using PPG, get their DBC line, or if you MUST get sold the Omni stuff, request Omni-Plus. It will spray much better (this is color coat only).

For the tank, fender and tail, you will need about 8oz of hi-build 3-n-1 primer, but you have to buy it by the quart. Then you'll need 4oz of white non-sanding sealer as a white base for the Tangelo (I recommend skipping the Tangelo and going to Arancio Atlas, a 2003 Lamborghini orange that looks better than Tangelo, is cheaper and way easier to spray.

Then a Quart of clear (on something that small, I recommend Nason 496-00).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I own a small sportbike paint shop. To get the best results the most simple way I would:

DO all you repairs and sand the surface thoroughly and uniformly to 400 grit.
Shoot a good 2K filler primer over all the parts. With that color you really want a light / medium grey primer so that your base coat will cover well IE get the most out of it.
Sand the primer thoroughly and evenly to 600. This is especially important with metallics and pearls.

As far as how much I would go with 1 pint. If you can get you hands on a cheap pink to go on top of the primer it will help stretch out the top coat quite a bit BUT don't use rattle can crap. That's just asking for a chemical reaction and adhesion problems down the road.

Above all take your time with everything. Do each step very thoroughly and do not spray the paint too wet or rush between coats. Overlap your primer / color and clear 50%. Do these things and it will turn out groovy. When it comes to clear you can spray it pretty wet and its most important to overlap at least 50%. Hold the gun at 90 degrees to the center of the spray pattern on the plane you are about to spray. I don't care what other people say, with the shape of these parts its very important and will give you OEM results. Using a nice touch up gun with a 1.0 MM tips is also ideal but even the harbor freight .06 MM guns ($14.99) can get good results if you take your time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Painted the bike about 8 months ago now. Basically followed the above process. I used a number of guide coats until I was happy. I used all House of Kolor paint. About a quart of primer, half a quart of color, and about 1/3 quart of clear (had some mistakes I repainted a panel or two). Although, that Lamborgini paint looks really nice!

Here is a picture of the result. There are flaws for sure, but I'm pretty happy. Looks good for a 90s bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts