Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think i am gonna go ahead and get my bike after the msf class next month but i have a question to ask. how much money should i have with me when i go get my first bike? i am looking towards getting a kawasaki ninja 250 or 500 with 10,000 miles or less on it. basically, i am looking for a clean low mileage starter bike i can learn safely on. something clean like this 250 would be nice. any help would be greatly appreciated. peace

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
good choice on a bike.

The value varies greatly by area. Those bikes sell fast, and genrally speaking I see them around $2K plus or minus depending on year, condition, mileage, etc. I have seem them as cheap as a grand and as expensive as $2700 asking price. For your first bike, I would find the cheapest one you can. Don't forget to budge gear when purchasing a motorcycle. This can easily add up to be another $1000. Also, when looking for a motorcycle, that is as cheap as you are looking, don't buy the fixxer upper. aka, don't buy the bike for $200 less because it needs some work, because the work will easily be more then the original savings

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
well, it's all relative.........

do you plan to "upgrade" as quick as possible? if so then as cheap as you can

if you wanna really learn to ride that bike before "upgrading" then spend a lil more......an recent yr model 250 should be about $2000-2300

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Wow. Sweet looking Ninja. I don't think I've seen that color-scheme before! Checkout www.cycletrader.com and try to get an accurate idea of the market price in your area. I think NADA is not very accurate.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Yeah make sure you budget a helmet, leather jacket, gloves, boots, and if you can swing it, riding pants. Don't forget about insurance either... even if it isn't required in your state, you'll be in a whole heap of bad news if you don't have insurance and you get into an accident, even if it isn't your fault. That's a sweet looking 250 BTW.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i like the 250 in the picture too. i already have some new gloves, new jacket and a new helmet. i will get the boots too. i plan on just riding the bike for a year or 2 and then upgrading to proably a 600 or 750. i am gonna pay for the bike cash instead of financing it because it would be dumb to finance something that cheap if you can pay cash for it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Depending on your financial situation, I would look for something a little b***** than a 250. I've had my Seca II (600) for over 2 years now and it has given me plenty of growing room. It doesn't have the bite of a CBR or even an FZR, but it will give you more than enough power to play with, be smooth on the highway (it weighs about 450), and let you leave the 250 in the dust (i'm sure you'll feel just as comfortable as I did once you've put a couple hundred miles on it). My vote is for a Ninja 500 or a Seca. I picked mine up for $3k, which included a Tourmaster textile jacket, Kevlar gloves, two helmets, a cargo net and a bike lock. Whatever you decide on, have fun and be careful!

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
check out cycletrader and see how much bikes are going for in your area, but you should be able to find an ex250/500 for less than $3k, but like the others have said have some money put away for gear.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
True that... cash is always better if you can swing it. I paid cash for my SV... granted that was cash from my student loan... which I guess technically wasn't my own cash :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts