Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title says, i want to paint my R6 some sort of green. is this going to break the bank here? maybe throw in some graphics. anyone know how much a good paint job costs?

·
IM A BAD ASS WITH A STICK
374 Posts
all depends on who does it.....if you know how to do it your self materials is all youll need but if you have a shop do it thell charge you labor and materials wich could get out of hand

·
Registered
3 Posts
depends on a ton of factors, is there any stress carcks starting? any type of damage in general? by graphix do you mean vinyl or air brush work? The most I'd consider reasonable for a single color is 3 hundred if they take everything off, do all the prep work and paint it then reasemble (then again I do most of my friends bikes for almost nothing)
Just reread my post I meant 300 labor if you can find somone who just does it on the side.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
At our gurage a bike is $1,200 min. That is for one color (no illusions). It will cost more as you want to add stuff. For example my bike is camilion and it would of cost $2,500 for that paint job so it really depends on the work they do how much buisness they get. SOme places are cheaper than outhers but you get what you pay for.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
pangborn83 said:
depends on a ton of factors, is there any stress carcks starting? any type of damage in general? by graphix do you mean vinyl or air brush work? The most I'd consider reasonable for a single color is 3 hundred if they take everything off, do all the prep work and paint it then reasemble (then again I do most of my friends bikes for almost nothing)
$300 barley pays for the materials involved. I dont think you will ever find a shop that will paint for 300. Also you should take a look at what this will cost. Primer,sand paper,thiner,hardner,paint,clear coat. This will cost an easy $300 for ok stuff.

·
Registered
65 Posts
for a quality paint job your lookin at $1500 to start thats with clean platics and a 1 color job,graphics tend to cost more,oh yeah and if your painting the whole bike in my opinion sticker graphics are gay.

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what is involved in prep-work? i have no problems taking off the parts and doing the grunt work myself. do i just have to sand it down? i just have never painted anything besides spraypaint from a can... and i was thinking of airbrush type graphics.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
evils-03-RR said:
wow 1500 for a single color, around here 1200 will get me pearl cobalt blue including all the grunt work :-| You guys are getting screwed.
Im not geting screwed I own a paint shop that is the cost of labor like I said before it depends on the work and how many paint shops you have around you. I wont wast my time for less than $1,200 its not wort the time. I am honest if you dont like it take it some where else Im not hurting for cash.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
patfitz9 said:
what is involved in prep-work? i have no problems taking off the parts and doing the grunt work myself. do i just have to sand it down? i just have never painted anything besides spraypaint from a can... and i was thinking of airbrush type graphics.
Most shops would not recomend you doing any work to it they do what they need. Even if you do some of the work they are going to go over every thing you already did and fix stuff you missed. There is alot involved in prep. If you want airbrush work you are looking at alot of time involved so the cost will be up there depending on how detailed you want to get. Ive done paint jobs on bikes that went for over $4,000 with airbrush work. But it depends on what you want,how many colors there are,what colors you are using some colors cost more than outhers.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
evils-03-RR said:
Actually its a difference in economies, I live in a town where cost of living is average 30% cheaper then most areas. you can buy a nice house in town for 50 grand. So it wasn't meant to offend you.
Sorry if I came off sounding mean or offended Im not I was just trying to help out bro. Paint is expensive I havent even fixed my bike from where I laid it down I just figure I'll wait till winter and its hard to get time to do my own with the costomers bikes.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
dennis, how hard is it to paint plastics? do you need special equipment? i'm painting my bike too or get someone else to do it. i gotta keep it under 1000. its preped and primed.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
the great ESKIMO said:
dennis, how hard is it to paint plastics? do you need special equipment? i'm painting my bike too or get someone else to do it. i gotta keep it under 1000. its preped and primed.
If you have the air compressor,spray gun,air regulator,water seperator thats really all you need. Painting plastic is the same as painting metal you sand it down. prime it,paint it 3 coats is good for plastic. then wet sand it to very lightly and buff it out and you will ahve a show room shine. If you need more detailed info PM me and ill tell you every thing you need to know. I really don't know how much you know about painting so don't hesataite to ask. If you have it done some where if you look around you might be able to get it done for $1,000 or so. My prices are a little high because we are always busy so we can charge more.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I know someone who owns a paint shop and he said it will cost me $250 to have my whole bike primed, sanded, painted (2 tone), sanded, clear coat, buffed. I have to take everything off, but that is easy to do. He told me that he is not making any money on me. The 250 accounts for the price of the paint and what he has to pay his people even though he is going to spray it himself. It isn't going to be a show stopping paint job, but for 250, it is going to be a hell of a deal... 100 times better than stock

·
Registered
23 Posts
patfitz9 said:
as the title says, i want to paint my R6 some sort of green. is this going to break the bank here? maybe throw in some graphics. anyone know how much a good paint job costs?
1-color paintjobs on a decal-free bike usually start at $500 here. 2-color with graphics about 900-1000. I can charge less cause i have low overhead.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
A guy I know from high school (we're on decent terms, but I doubt he was giving me a "friend" price) quoted me at $500 w/ some painted graphics. He owns his own paint shop in a small town so that = lower prices. He went to school in some Wyoming school, it was supposed to be one of the best in the country so I'm guessing he knows his shit.

·
Site Sponsor
1,639 Posts
Here are my 'start from' labor prices. I do about 4 bikes a month (nothing but bikes...well, the occasional street rod :D )

Disassembly/storage/reassembly: $80
Cleaning/Sanding of stock paint: $80
Removal of Stock stickers: $15 per panel
Seal/Basecoat/Clear/Sand/Buff of up to 6 peices: $550
Plastic weld/Bodywork: $25/hour typically, a crashed bike will need about $100 worth of bodywork...plus materials, about $150 total.

Most of the time, if you bring me a set of straight (or new, gel-coated fiberglass) stock bodywork that has already been stripped of stickers and sanded with 600 grit, you can get away with a 2 or 3-tone job for around $700-$900. Most of the bikes I do are Harleys (sportbike riders are either too young/poor/smart to pay the same) and the average bike leaving the shop is in the $1500 to $6000 range. These include massive amounts of artwork, custom bodywork, fabrication and very VERY intensive customer relation in getting what they want. The average crotch rocket that leaves my shop is a $1000 with a load of airbrush work over a custom color, or the same price on a very labor-intensive multi-candy color 1-off set of graphics. I've done race teams (4 bikes or more of the exact same design) for less per bike, but that's because I know I'll be doing them every year for a few years (plus backup peices for wrecks).

If you can find someone to do it for $400 total...even a friend, be leery. Materials to do a single-color, clear, sand and buff can easily run in the upper $300's, EASILY!! I've done a few jobs for friends, but I require that the only thing I'm doing is the spraying and 'helping'...their $400 pretty much goes to materials and about $50 goes to 'booth time' for compressor turnup, lights, power..etc. Most of the guys who I've agreed to 'help' paint their peices end up as not-so-close friends after we're done because they underestimate how much manual labor they will have to put in to get a 'free' paintjob that looks "100 times better than stock". Free ones are out there...but usually the shop only has one freebie in it...hopefully you're the lucky one. After the first freebie, the shop owner says 'screw this'.

PM if you need assistance with spraying your own or check out the sticky thread.

The 'hopper

1 - 20 of 28 Posts