Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your Choice of $375/month + utilities or $555/month with All Utilities Included

what to dooo!!!!! if i was living alone i guess 375 but if i bring the girl, 555?

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
The one apartment I lived in that had heat included was a nightmare. It was steam heat with one boiler for the entire building, so I could always turn it down with my throttling valve, but never turn it up if there was no steam. I think they had a monthly budget, because I could keep the apartment at 70-75 for the first three weeks of the month, then if it was a below average cold month, the boiler would start coming on less frequent and it would get cold. Then as if someone hit the reset button, on the first of the next month the pipes would be singing and the heat flowing. I didn’t pay electricity either, so I ended up just buying a small space heater.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Pay your own utilities, shared utilities is just a PITA.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Also, that's cheap as fuck. My studio is $995/ month. Nothing included
Yup, but you're talking Kentucky. Just 4 years ago, my neighbor paid $129k, for a 3 level split level home. It's cheap to live here, but salaries are small too.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Keep in mind since they are picking up the tab for heating and cooling, expect the heat to come on well after it starts getting cold, and the A/C to come on well after it starts to get hot. Invest in a space heater and a fan. Maybe they'll be timely with it though.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
Your Choice of $375/month + utilities or $555/month with All Utilities Included

what to dooo!!!!! if i was living alone i guess 375 but if i bring the girl, 555?
Fuck I want to live in your cheap ass neighborhood.

You seriously don't want to hear what I pay in bills a month.

Reactions: knonfs and I-Jo

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Yeah I'll take your 555 a month- please and thank you!!!

fucking jersey.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The one apartment I lived in that had heat included was a nightmare. It was steam heat with one boiler for the entire building, so I could always turn it down with my throttling valve, but never turn it up if there was no steam. I think they had a monthly budget, because I could keep the apartment at 70-75 for the first three weeks of the month, then if it was a below average cold month, the boiler would start coming on less frequent and it would get cold. Then as if someone hit the reset button, on the first of the next month the pipes would be singing and the heat flowing. I didn’t pay electricity either, so I ended up just buying a small space heater.
i lived in a place like that for 4 years. I had to have my little floor heater. and also in the spring they would have to leave the boiler on in case it cooled off again, because it took 70 hours to start back up? there was always a week of sleepless hot sweaty nights.

before i move in i plan on walking around seeing anyone thats just hanging around outside and asking them what they love and hate about the place. I think it has a window AC unit. prolly a 10K BTU unit and not enough to REALLY cool the place off. I always heard 220v units actually use less power.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Single....I'd go 375 but i'm the kind of person that will walk around in the dark to save a buck or two. now that i'm married with kids, kinda can't since the kids like to leave lights on. not paying for utilities.... yet, but trying to get kids to be responsible so it's second nature at our next house.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
300 for rent and 180 for utilities. Three bedroom house waterfront (marsh) and a two car garage. Granted one garage is filled up with stuff.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Find out how much you expect utilities to be. Depending on your heating system and how big the place is, you could spend well over $200 a month on utilities (I wish that's only how much I paid a month for utilities). I have electric heat, and in January through March my electricity bill spikes up to around $700ish per month. I also live in a single family house, not an apartment, so obviously heating costs will be more.

I've rented both places where utilities are included and where they are separate. I much prefer them to be included. Even if the net cost is a bit more (which I never really know if it is), the convenience and stability of paying the same amount each month is really nice.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
$700/month on electricity for heat?!?!?! Holy hell batman! Just move to Texas, you'll be warm year round haha.

That said, I much preferred them included, that way I could just pay my rent and utilities all up front for 6 months-1 year and never really worry about it again. I like the consistency.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
$700/month on electricity for heat?!?!?! Holy hell batman! Just move to Texas, you'll be warm year round haha.

That said, I much preferred them included, that way I could just pay my rent and utilities all up front for 6 months-1 year and never really worry about it again. I like the consistency.
Or San Diego. You don't need AC either. Our electric averaged $20/month there. Looking to be similar here in Seattle.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
No shit, or California.

Costs me 90-100/month for a one bedroom 750 sf apartment, but everything is electric including my stove and I cook a lot at home so I'm sure that accounts for at least half the cost of electricity. It'll go up in the summer time though once I start blasting the A/C to keep it cool since the sun beats on the back of my apartment all day. Hoping the new thermal curtains I bought help keep it cooler though.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts

Electric heat sucks! My last house was natural gas and it was WAAAAY cheaper, plus that house was way less insulated and had old shitty windows that let in a ton of cold air. This house is well insulated with all modern double-pane windows. To be fair though, I switched to the electric budget plan so I pay the same each month, regardless of usage that month.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Electric heat sucks! My last house was natural gas and it was WAAAAY cheaper, plus that house was way less insulated and had old shitty windows that let in a ton of cold air. This house is well insulated with all modern double-pane windows. To be fair though, I switched to the electric budget plan so I pay the same each month, regardless of usage that month.
I have that problem right now. Lots of single pain windows and there is a constant 10-20 mph wind coming off the waterway. The main part of the house is baseboard heat.

Sent from my DROIDX

1 - 20 of 32 Posts