Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure this is in the right place, but i know you guys would know. Right now I'm running michilen pilot race (the dot race tire that they discontinued I believe). I've run two track days on them (about 200miles total). How much longer till these things are shot and I go slidin on my ass?

·
Registered
108 Posts
It all depends on how hard you are riding, track temp, track surface, etc. I used to be able to do 3 or 4 trackdays on set. Now 2 is pushing it. If the tires still look good and are not sliding all over the place.... use'em. Maybe take a new set with you, in case the old ones don't make it the entire day.

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
To give you an idea I had my GPA's with about 5 track days and about 2000 street miles. I finally got them sliding on my last track day and they were very predictable, I even started to induce some slides just to get a feel how a controlled slide feel like. Unless you do something very unusual, you will feel when they start to slide.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Like 319 said, theres alot of variables including heat cycles and if you use tire warmers or not.

Unfortunately , you may not know your tires are done until they go off on you and thats what you want to avoid.

Whatever you do , dont skimp on tires.
Good Tires are the best " insurance policy " you can buy for your bike while riding on the track.

I run BT002's which are Bridgestone's DOT Race tire.
I get one race weekend out of a set , about 44 laps or 101 miles.
2 practices , 1 MW Solo and one sprint , with warmers.
Id really like to have a fresh set for the sprint race every time but it isnt gonna happen right now.

Anyone want to buy some take off's? lol

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
roadracer319 said:
It all depends on how hard you are riding, track temp, track surface, etc. I used to be able to do 3 or 4 trackdays on set. Now 2 is pushing it. If the tires still look good and are not sliding all over the place.... use'em. Maybe take a new set with you, in case the old ones don't make it the entire day.
+1 TTsixxer and roadracer, I had the PR's this weekend on the track (new) I was good until about 1200 o'clock in the afternoon, then I started sliding to the point were I could actually feel and control when it happened. Just take another set to be safe.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Here's what a new set of Power Race will do for ya. Second session, 3rd lap, T3. Barber a few weeks ago. I got a little too much lean, but never got any warning the 1st session or the other 2 laps. I will take allot of the blame on this one, but I won't run Michs anymore. Just to add somemore, the peg wasn't down yet, no drift no nothing, just let go.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
EA6BMECH said:
Here's what a new set of Power Race will do for ya. Second session, 3rd lap, T3. Barber a few weeks ago. I got a little too much lean, but never got any warning the 1st session or the other 2 laps. I will take allot of the blame on this one, but I won't run Michs anymore. Just to add somemore, the peg wasn't down yet, no drift no nothing, just let go.
Sorry bout that EA6BMECH, but dude , let us be real about it, some times we push a little harder without really thinking some times. I have had my share of offs, most of the time it was me not making the correct adjustment before the turn. Hope you doing ok.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Gixxerworld said:
Sorry bout that EA6BMECH, but dude , let us be real about it, some times we push a little harder without really thinking some times. I have had my share of offs, most of the time it was me not making the correct adjustment before the turn. Hope you doing ok.
i agree with Gix. alot of people have a mishap with a tire brand and all of a sudden that tire/brand sucks. the rider never really stops to analyze what he/she did to add to the outcome. you ride a ZX12, i ride a 636 (05 model), ALMOST the same bike. i run pilot powers on the track and have never (knock on wood) had a problem. does that mean the pilot powers are better than the pilot race...no. does that mean that i am smoother in the corners or slower than you...maybe. my point is until you bring together ALL the data that led to your crash you cant really say it was the tires. sorry about your getoff, glad you're doing ok. hurry up and fix that bike, it's bad luck to have a kawi down & out!!! :lao

·
Registered
135 Posts
Take a second set with you. Or a lot of trackdays have tire services available (but may be a brand you don't run).

As has already been pointed out, it depends on a lot of factors, like how hard you run, temps, tire pressure, etc... I personally won't run more than two trackdays on a set of tires. By then they're too shot for me to feel comfortable pushing through corners. I use BT 014's.

·
Registered
200 Posts
HangTight said:
you ride a ZX12, i ride a 636 (05 model), ALMOST the same bike.
I do admit that I was the blame, and I have an '05 636, sorry will change the Avatar. I also have a ZRX1200. Maybe coming off a set of SC take off's and running them 2weeks earlier, I sort of expected more. Yip, hard lesson learned. I ran the mediums, maybe since Barber is a smooth track I should have run the soft. Who knows. But when you feel that you didn't go over the envelope, what are ya suppose to do? If I go back to the 002's and run it as hard and they hold, was it me or the tires? Only trackday 16 for me and 3rd on that bike. I'll live and learn I guess... :rolleyes

·
Registered
331 Posts
It wasn't your tire's ............

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
EA6BMECH said:
I do admit that I was the blame, and I have an '05 636, sorry will change the Avatar. I also have a ZRX1200. Maybe coming off a set of SC take off's and running them 2weeks earlier, I sort of expected more. Yip, hard lesson learned. I ran the mediums, maybe since Barber is a smooth track I should have run the soft. Who knows. But when you feel that you didn't go over the envelope, what are ya suppose to do? If I go back to the 002's and run it as hard and they hold, was it me or the tires? Only trackday 16 for me and 3rd on that bike. I'll live and learn I guess... :rolleyes
+1

·
Registered
987 Posts
Just got back from Barber for CCS on PR those tires sure did last a long time! That is over 2 days of racing and a track day. It was sliding a little but nothing unpredictable I could have done another day on them if I had too. I like the feel of the supercorsas but I usually do better times on the PRs.

Personaly I can go days on a set of tires or a singal race it all depends on how well I have the bike set up and how hard I ride. Always check your tire pressure at the start of the day and after you get off the track.

·
Registered
200 Posts
999Duc said:
It wasn't your tire's ............
Your right. After looking at the pics over and over from that day. Here is the one about a sec before I crashed. Notice where the front tire is? Look at the lean....ect. Shouldn't have gone down, but I did. :rolleyes I believe the pics were taken from 2 photographers cause of the angles.

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sorry to hear about the fall, Ea6b. I guess that oil wasn't very grippy. Yikes!

You could come back to the Bridgestone BT002's though. :cheers

·
No Whammy No Whammy STOP!
1,752 Posts
I dont have enough experience in tires to know how long I can go before I need to change them. Ive only done 5 track days and in those 5 days I have run on a set of BT090's, Supercorsas (SC2 front, SC3 rear), and now Im on a set of 208GPA's. All have worked for me, and all have given good sliding feedback. Never have they just let out. One morning I felt the front start to slide on me in the entrance to turn 6a at Blackhawk. That pretty much ended my morning. So I talked with the tire guy and picked up a set of the 208's. For my speed they are great. Ive got 9 sessions on them right now and hope they last me another couple track days before I have to replace the rear.

So if my front makes it through a second rear tire, then when these go I can throw on one of my 2 sets of SC's and give these a try. SC1 front and SC2 rear. I hear they are really a nice combo.

Im going to give the Pilot Powers a shot for my Gixxer (it needs to be able to go back on the street after the day). Yeah they wont be as good as the race tires, but I hear they are forgiving and give good feedback when you are pushing them too hard.

·
Registered
200 Posts
96SNAKE/03RR said:
Sorry to hear about the fall, Ea6b. I guess that oil wasn't very grippy. Yikes!

You could come back to the Bridgestone BT002's though. :cheers
Was the seam on the track. There are 2 or them all the way around. Oh well "it" happens. I finished a second day on the Power Races at Road Atlanta. Did ok, but the ZRX was a bear to handle on that track and I've always had suspension issues with it too. What's left I'll do on the street. Have a set of Racetecs for the son and I to try in the Spring. Christmas presents. Might try the GP's if the price stays down on them for next time. I hear Bridge is coming out with an 003? The 636 cost me under $300 to get it fiixed. The rest was glue.... :lao I still have a warpped rear rim, but I'll get that taken care of also. 3rd trackday for the son and his Power Races tucked on him, so he called it a day. Lowside but came out fine. I'll stick with the other brands. After being told many times that Michs will just let go on you and then it happens when other tires didn't, even used take offs, it just doesn't set well with me and I don't want to find out again the hard way. :headbang to those of you that love the Michs!! Next season will tell me more about my riding.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I've heard about the BT003 a little while ago. Whatever they do, I hope it's just an improvement to the 002 in a tweak. I can't really point to any problems with the 002. Could use slightly more feedback up front but it's still very good.

·
Banned
1,097 Posts
Your right. After looking at the pics over and over from that day. Here is the one about a sec before I crashed. Notice where the front tire is? Look at the lean....ect. Shouldn't have gone down, but I did. I believe the pics were taken from 2 photographers cause of the angles.
Hate to be an armchair quarterback, or to make anyone feel bad about a wreck, but after looking at your pic, you do look a little crossed-up. Your butt is off the bike, but your head/shoulders are back over the tank, sort of countering the benefit of hanging off. You're not completely crossed-up, to the point where you're actually on the high side completely countering the benefit of hanging off, but just a little. Check out 96Snake's avatar, he's really got his weight on the inside of the bike. Think of swinging your butt and shoulders off as a unit, not just dipping your butt into the inside of a turn. Hope you gain something from this, and don't take it as a show-up. Getting more of your mass inside-- as opposed to on top-- will definitley help your bike's traction.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts