Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone.

I am interested in buying a new GSX-R 600 this week, and I was wondering what the rest of you paid, so I don't get screwed.

So basically I would like the know the following:

How much did you pay for the bike itself?
How much was the taxes and fees?
Did you get any gear? If so, what did you get?

Thanks in advance for your help. If there is any other posts with this same question, please post a link. Thanks again.

Ryan

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is my first bike, I have already taken the MSF course (I appreciate the advise though). I understand that most people here won't agree with my decision, however, I honestly don't like the looks of a small bike, and I don't fit on a small on either.

I am honestly looking to buy a bike that I like, and want some help doing so.

Thanks

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Well we are honestly telling you, you are not ready for a 600cc supersport. I'll bet if you would have told your MSF instructor you wanted a GSXR600 he would have laughed and then seriously said NO.

Why do you want to get a shiny new bike that you are just gonna drop anyways. You won't like the looks of a rashed up Gixxer anymore than a EX500 or GS500, the seat height is not much different than the Gixxer. Also if you absolutely HAVE to get a more powerful bike (which is the WRONG choice, plain and simple) look into the Suzuki SV650S, they are good looking bikes and they are the lesser of two evils (GSXR and SV650S).

As far as gear goes, don't settle for anything less than a DOT/SNELL approved helmet, full fingered gloves, and nice over the ankle boots with hardened areas for impact protectionm and full leathers or full textile suit (leather is better). Don't let ANYONE tell you that blue jeans are gear, it's complete BS, they don't do anything to protect you, and anyone who tries to tell you they do are full of shit! Oh, and STAY AWAY from anything ICON! Don't buy some expensive bike and leave yourself $200 for gear, don't buy the bike until you can afford ALL of your gear.

·
Registered
584 Posts
firefighter81 said:
Well we are honestly telling you, you are not ready for a 600cc supersport. I'll bet if you would have told your MSF instructor you wanted a GSXR600 he would have laughed and then seriously said NO.
not necessarily :eek: My MSF instructors said buy what you want. You can even start on a 1200... but it was at the harley dealership though :hshot

·
Registered
584 Posts
BTW, I am not advising to start on a 600 either. I'm 6'1 and I ride a 500 :dunno Are you THAT much b***** than me? If you're under 7', then you should be fine on a 250 :)

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
bases already been covered.......

if his ego is that much b***** then his brain.......good luck, don't die, it hurts.

·
Registered
374 Posts
+1 to all of the safety advice. Take the msf, take a track day/ track school ASAP you will learn more in one hour there than a month on the road.

Wear gear, leather + a helmet all the time.

Now to your question. I would expect to pay the sticker price out the door. Meaning, if the price tag says 8099.99 + tax, title, prep, blah blah blah Tell them you want it for 8000 out the door. If they say no, say ok the most Ill do it 8099, if they say no walk out. Normally you can find a bike even cheaper than that, but I definately wouldnt pay more.

Gear, ebay is your friend. I bought my gear at the retail store the first time around. I spent 350 on pants, and 400 on a jacket, and 500 on a helmet.
Ebay would be like 200 for pants, 250 for a jacket, and 250 for a helmet.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Well, there probably is no way to convinve him to start small, so he's gonna get what he wants. He has every right to do so.

Well I would just go to a dealership and talk numbers with the sales guys. Remember they are sales people and are out to make some money. Shop around and find out, the out the door prices on the bike you want and compare. Then go back and negotiate. That simple.

Just remember, buy some good gear, chances are it will end up saving your skin (literally). Good luck and congrats on finishing the MSF. Ride safe.

·
Registered
839 Posts
To answer your question....

I bought my 2002 GSXR600 in 2003 for $5500 with 2,000 miles on it. I bought it right in the middle of summer in a beach town so I probably over paid a little bit. But not too bad of a deal.

I have bought Gloves-$100
Mesh Jacket-$200
Extra helmet -$250
and will be buying leathers soon. Hope this helps.

These guys are all right. But if you do get a SS600 just dont be a jack ass.. Mine is my first bike.

·
Registered
304 Posts
RACER X said:
don't die, it hurts.
But not for long.

By the way, I'm 6'5" and started on a Gs500. I was probably 6'3" at the time. You're not too big for anything.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Filip75 said:
BTW, I am not advising to start on a 600 either. I'm 6'1 and I ride a 500 :dunno Are you THAT much b***** than me? If you're under 7', then you should be fine on a 250 :)

Under 7? Couldn't you see a guy 6' 11'' on a Ninja 250? :lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts