Sport Bikes banner

How much damage from being knocked over?

5K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  No Coast Rider 
#1 ·
I couldn't afford full coverage and this is my first bike with fairings. I usually ride everywhere if the wife isn't going and I don't need hauling ability. My last bike went down in parking lots twice, once from being hit the other from I dunno what. Each time only cost me about $40-60 because it was a dirt bike. No word from the driver either time. Just come out to bent bars and floppy mirrors. Bike theft isn't big here, but neither is respect for the property of others. Now any time I go anywhere public all I can think about is coming back out to my bike on its side with shattered plastic. Work has cameras facing the lot but everywhere scares me. How much are you usually in for if your bike is pushed over or bumped in a parking lot? I do have frame sliders.

#5 ·
I'm the kind of a$$hole who parks up next to the door at places like Walmart or any of the local grocery stores. Although I try not to impede foot traffic so as not to get any complaints or potentially towed. My work has motorcycle parking and it's a "secure" lot where you have to scan a work ID to get in and out. So far so good. But if you're that worried definitely spring for the insurance. I know I'd rather pay a deductible than pay for a brand new set of plastics out of pocket.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#9 · (Edited)
Limited options in my state. I got about three quotes ranging from 1800-2200 (higher if paid by the month) before I said screw it give me liability. Even the agents giving the quotes were goin... wtf, is this a bug? The liability is free. It plus the full coverage on my wrx250 is $19 a month lol. The multi vehicle discount canceled it out.
I might as well get quotes from any others I can find though while the credit check grace period is going from the previous ones.

#14 ·
Frame sliders are your best answer. They'll protect your fairings in a tipover, without risking other damage.

OEM fairings are expensive -- $1500 is not unusual. Cheap-ass aftermarket can be gotten for closer to $500, but then you've got cheap-ass aftermarket.

That's a big part of why full insurance on a sportbike costs a lot -- the fairings are expensive and easily damaged, and the ins co gets a lot of claims on them.

(This is another reason I like naked bikes. Once at a client's, a truck backed into bike parking; he hit my bike, knocked it into another bike, and they both went over. My damage was about $100 for a couple levers and turn signals; the GSXR took fairing damage on both sides and was over $1500.)

He isn't in Canada.

PhilB

#12 ·
I had a bike knocked over on two separate occasions; once I'm fairly certain by a drunk person, the other time by a car (camera footage of that one).

The car certainly did more damage, however, don't underestimate a drunk person's ability in destruction...

Between the two separate tip overs, I'd say I was averaging around $1,400 to bring the bike back to stock both times. This was back in the early 2000's with a 2002 ZX-6R and I may be remembering a bit low too...

#18 ·
Just to rub it in.... 74.60$US this year for insurance. It went down 20 cents from last year. I guess they figure since I have survived 49 years on a motorcycle, I will probably make it through tomorrow also. Plus nobody steals FZ-6's. Although I think the mods on her are worth more then the bike. I'm hoping to put on .95 springs this weekend. As soon as I can find a cup that will measure 467 mL. I have tried every auto store around. All the doller stores and even odd ball places like Walgrenes and Krogers. several that will do 450 or 500 but nothing between. Sherwin Williams the paint store said they carry them but are out of stock and I should come back in a couple of weeks. I think he was just playing the old man.:leaving

#19 ·
I can't complain... $35/month FC. 500 deduct.

back on track... frame sliders would be the best cheaper alternative. plastics just cost way toooo much! I don't want to even THINK about looking up prices for replacement plastics for the Hulk. :tremble:tremble:tremble

#20 ·
Brother-in-law just tipped my bike over in the garage. The OEM mid-fairing is $1k before applying the OEM sticker. I consider myself (actually he's lucky since he's paying for it) that nothing else was damaged like the tank, mirror, clip-on, or any other fairings. A simple tip-over can cost thousands of dollars.

On the other hand, someone knocked over my last bike and the only damage was a slightly scatched aftermarket bar-end mirror.

#21 ·
Damage protection is your best insurance I have had one of my bikes knocked over by my dog in the garage, he was scared $4itless of lightning and tried to hide under it. Fortunately He was not hurt and the bike had frame sliders, oversize spools on the swingarm, foldaway levers and heavy clear number plate film on places the fairing might touch down. I also replace the bar ends on my sportbikes with high density poly ones and have a habit of folding my mirrors in when parked (that one can be a pain in the ass) As far as parking lot stuff I suggest an alarm with motion sensor and remote notification (either key fob or phone) where I live kids climbing on your bike is a problem.

#23 ·
There probably is a ktm 690 in my future as a second bike, but in the mean time I'm not parking this thing in public parking lots. Could I afford to fix it? Yes... but at that kinda money it's not worth the risk and the insurance damn sure isn't worth it. After the deductible I would have to drop it four times in a year to get my money's worth.

#27 ·
I dropped my Tiger in my driveway today, total cost of repair, $10 for a indicator lens. Yay for crash bars. Somehow the crash bar itself has no marks at all. Got some scuffs on the side case, but I already had some scuffs there from the last time I dropped it so no big deal there. =) That was lucky, the last tipover in my driveway was about $100. I really need to get that driveway fixed, it's all warped and wavy with tons of potholes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.